DIY Folded-Horn Speaker Design from 1955

I think it doesn't like your installation or version of Firefox. If you still have Internet Explorer installed try it with that. If it opens, it's your Firefox. It may need updating or a new plug-in. (I know that IE s***s lemons but sometimes its useful to keep around.)

Good Luck

Shelly_D

Thanks, but the thing is, I am not using firefox. Never had it. I have IE, latest version. :scratch2: YD

What I'm looking for is not nearly as likely to produce something known to be good. Perhaps that's the point for me. Does that make any sense?

Makes sense to me, and I've been loving these Popular Mechanics links you've been finding.

I've been involved with audio for years as a musician, but just for a year or so on the DIY side. I'm still a nephyte, but there are a ton of generous people on this site and others that are happy to share their expertise.

AND, horn enclosures sound cool. The center speaker in my avatar is an old Jensen designed cabinet from 1952, a 'compact' rear loading folded horn. Thanks to Zilch and a lot of other people here and diyaudio.com, we frankensteined it into an amazing sounding fusion of 50's and 21st century technology. (zilch-modifed econowave crossover, selenium 220i, QSC waveguide, JBL 2220).

My advice: Build one. There are a ton of good full range drivers available for not that much money. Just watch out for efficiency--some of the drivers are very inefficient, not that great if you're running a low wattage tube amp. Play some mono stuff through it. If you love it, build a companion for it. If you don't love it, you will have had some fun and learned some things.

Horn enclosures sound so different from the normal box bass reflex ported speaker.

OK, for some reason, the link loaded for me this morning. Thanks for the link. Is there a way to save the article? I wanna build this!

Wiggy, the Galaxy Audio driver is quite...umm...not good.

Stick with a known commodity here, something like Fostex is probably where you wanting to be setting your targets.. If sensitivity is not a huge issue for you, the Zaph Audio 5" driver may be just the ticket.

I think your expectations will probably be about right. I wouldn't count on something special, but it might sound decent.

Wiggy, the Galaxy Audio driver is quite...umm...not good.

Thanks, that's what I need to know! I realize that like with cars where speed costs money, good speaker drivers cost money for a good reason, generally. I'll keep and eye on the budget and check the specs with you guys; you're great and this is why.

What I'm looking for is not nearly as likely to produce something known to be good. Perhaps that's the point for me. Does that make any sense?

If you're looking to get your hands dirty, and try something new in the folded horn area, you might want to try your own design using:

http://www.hornresp.net.ms/

Also, though I'm not really a "full range" guy myself, I would suggest looking at the Tang Band full rangers at PE. They are pretty well received. The other place you may want to look, if you're going to do your own thing, is the Madisound specials page. They have a number of Aura full rang drivers right now- priced right. These are nice drivers, and for $4.00 would offer a great opportunity to experiment without dropping the coin on some decidedly spendy Fostex. There's also the new line of Dayton PS (point source) drivers.

I think somebody already mentioned this, but zaphaudio.com has some good measurements on a few full rangers, as I recall.

Have Fun,

Zach

OK, for some reason, the link loaded for me this morning. Thanks for the link. Is there a way to save the article? I wanna build this!

Not that I am aware of, but you can print it out (I think); or alternatively, look for that issue on eBay.

I didn't mention Zaph's measurements I mentioned his drivers he copied from Merrill's DCA5.5 (i think that was the model). They have some minor changes from the original and sound quite good with surprising bass extension. The typical 8-10k full range peak to mask the lack of real high freq extension is there and gives the illusion of good highs.

At a smac meet, we listened to a set built by Fritz and most people were quite pleased with the sound. Only a couple of times did the peak jump out at you as a negative thing.

I built these beautiful speakers in mdf and I put a fostex 126, they really sound great, I love them, they have an impressive quality and depth
WP_20170827_15_34_27_Pro.jpg

I made a recording of the sound they give

The stream apparently had been blocked or at least it has to my work location.

Edit:

Blocked to my home as well. Also tried on YouTube itself with same results.

Last edited:
I built these beautiful speakers in mdf and I put a fostex 126, they really sound great, I love them, they have an impressive quality and depth

They do look very nice. They're the Popular Mechanics design? The reason I ask is because the front baffle isn't recessed [probably a bad idea anyway].

Would be nice to hear them. I think your video is blocked on the basis of the song you chose. Perhaps try another tune?

look try this link to see, are those that appear in the magazine, the front I change it to reduce cuts, but really as I'm not a carpenter I made many mistakes, in measures, in cuts, in unions, and I take more time correcting and setting the speakers

one task that remains to me is to fill the empty spaces with sand, recently I made a change and put polyester and felt inside

Back
Top Bottom