DIY Interconnects...

Finished My Cables...

I finished them a couple of days ago. I bought a new soldering iron to finish the job and took Ward's advice of pre-tinning. I kept a wet cloth on hand to clean the tip as well. The new soldering iron was nice and hot so things went very smoothly.

I can post a pic if anyone's interested, but for the most part they look like the first one - just in pairs :)

They sound nice. I'd like to think they sound better than the shit cables they replace, but realistically I don't think my ears are sensitive enough to discern a real difference.

Just a fun project that gives me piece of mind to know that my cables are good and not introducing extranneous noise.

Thanks all!

'Wardsweb' stated that he used Bentely Harris fiberglass cloth lined rubber sleeving, all coverd in Bentely Harris expandable sleeving for these cables.

I have looked all over the internet for these and have come up empty handed. Other manufacturers, but no Bentlely Harris. Does anyone know where he purchased the sleeving?

BTW, I have been told by more than one person that the cable of choice to use on these is Belden 89259 Cable.

Thanks,
Ron,

interconnectsrg316bh.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures...

They're not much to look at, but here goes. One is 3 feet, the other is 2. I know that the tape looks pink, but it's really quite red, just the camera messing with my colors. It really wouldn't be right to have you guys thinking I put pink all over my stereo equipment!

cable1.jpg

cable2.jpg

Anybody try making interconnects out of cat-5E computer data cable...I did!

1) Two complete Cat-5E runs, twisted with each other lights and darks seperated at the ends and soildered...sounded better than monster cable, but didn't fit in the ends well (too many wires)

So I went minimalist...

2) Two individual twisted pair runs, twisted together after soildering into the ends. Taped at the ends to keep from un-twisting.

FWIW each wire is 24Ga. solid copper. Full Cat-5E has 4 twisted pairs, and is capable at transmitting at 100Khz.

They both sound near identical, but the minimalist setup seems to have a little more openness in the midrange.

Stew ....

Not bad at all ... The main thing is that they work and you didn't have to feed the Monster any of your money. It's amazing how one company like Monster can capture 75% of the aftermarket A/V cable, wire business. Truely amazing!

Still trying to find out where "Wardsweb" purchased that Bently Harris sleeving on his latest interconnects. All I could find was that Bently-Harris is in fact, a subsididary of Federal Mogul. It seems to be sold in large quantities to the automotive and aircraft industry, but it sure don't look like it can be purchased in small quantities that I would buy, or anyone I am familiar with.

Last edited:
Stewey where did you find that RG-62 cable in Canada? I've looked a few places ( RS,Home Depot etc..) but can't locate any.

TIA

Mike

I bought it at a local electronics shop called "Pacific Coast Electronics". It was ridiculously cheap too, like 20 cents a foot. I think you can buy it from Parts Express - see the link at the bottom of the page. You should have no problem finding it, just check your yellow pages for a electronics supply store.

Hope that helps,
Stew.

Stewey in case you didn't notice I am a fellow Canuck. Buying from partsexpress and paying duties/taxes and shipping seems a little silly for $10 worth of wire.

Mike

All you really need for signal interconnect cables are some well made RCA connectors (mechanically, with decent insulation that doesn't melt when you just think of using a soldering iron, Switchcraft makes ones I like), and surplus teflon coax. Teflon because it takes more soldering abuse and other abuse as well.

For speaker wires, go to a hardware store and get 14 AWG gauge power cord. The stuff intended for low voltage garden lighting is fine. If all they got is 3 wire cord, just parallel the white and green wires for the speaker audio return (ground), and use the black wire to send the audio to the speaker. Stranded wire is easier to work with inside the room. Use romex house wireing cable if you run speaker cables inside walls. You don't need fancy litz braided wire and such for speakrs. Just avoid thin gauge wire for speakers.

Back
Top Bottom