DIY JBL Prima L25s?

Zonker92

All shiny and chrome
I suppose this could just as easily go into the DIY forum, but I'm more at home in this section:

I love the JBL L25 Prima (shown below) but they're getting really hard to find, as far as I can tell, and I think it would be fun to build an eWave DIY version. Does anyone sells plastic containers or PA speaker cabinets similar to the Prima? I'm thinking maybe that if I found a storage bin I could beef up the internal walls (epoxy and/or MDF or some sort of plastic filler), build a baffle and mount eWave parts in them. Any thoughts on that? I would mount them on tulip(?) stands by our pool for backyard parties; paint them some bright color.

Thanks!

matsui33jp-img457x600-1391048086ehg06q10178.jpg

prima.jpg

I like that - as eWaves they will sound better than the originals.

Wonder if Ikea has anything like that...

Yeah; thanks. I have browsed dozens of plastic storage containers, but none of them so far looks much like the Prima.

I'm thinking the simplest thing would be to find and revamp some plastic PA speakers, maybe reuse their integral horn moldings if the pattern is OK, although they tend to look more modern than the Primas. Maybe someone sells empty PA boxes? I'll check Parts Express.

Almost looks like a cheap picnic cooler. For outdoors, how about cover to keep the bugs and rain out? Try searching google images for roto-mold cases. Lots of choices but most seem to be custom designs....someone has to something off the shelf.

Close enough? JBL orange?
http://www.ameripack.com/cases/AP2824-1505/

$800? A small price to a pay for pool-side JBL madness :yes:

Maybe the $25 picnic cooler is a better choice.

Thanks; still searching ...

I lost out on some minty Primas on eBay a few years ago. I think they closed at well over $300 for the pair. I probably should have bid more than I did, but I had no idea they were getting so pricey.

This one would rock; too bad it's one of those annoying manufacturer websites with something like a 250-piece minimum order:

qq_20130916115442.png

Last edited:
Hey champ, any updates, ie thoughts on how they sound or are you painting a room 1/2 blue and the other 1/2 red and placing the red speaker in the blue half and blue speaker in red half?? etc.

Cheers

Thanks for asking; they arrived with some relatively minor shipping damage so I got a 50% refund and set them aside for future restoration.

I’m accumulating some parts (orange grill cloth and correct woofer gaskets) and hope to work on them in the next couple of months. Maybe repaint them both one color and make nicer mirror imaged baffles (HDF instead of MDF); new 8 uF caps.

Back
Top Bottom