DIY : Marantz LED kit for bargain

Lamp Replacement

It was very useful - I didn't use the same LEDS that you did on a 2230, I used the replacement fuse lamps that CKeeler sells and I used some 10mm single lamps using 220ohm resistors on the biPins. All the bi-Pins have been replaced and working great but I'm having a little difficulty with the STEREO Indicator lamps. I can't seem to get them to work. Before removing the incandescents I confirmed that they were lit. Then I put my LED's in - configured per the online LED array Wizard that tsd71 had a link to on page 3 of this thread.
I've attached a screen shot of the wizard. I don't believe I had the array in backwards. I put one 270ohm resistor on the negative side of LED 1, attaching the neg (resistor) lead to the outside left pin hole of the PCB (as you face the tuner) and the Pos lead to the shared center segment of the PCB , then I added LED 2 sans resistor, with the neg lead to this shared center segment, and the pos lead to the far right hole of the PCB.
Turn on the tuner - no Stereo indicator lights.
I ended up putting the incandescents back in.
Any suggestions - did I do something incorrectly? Should I do 2 LEDs configured to 6 volts with individual resistors as opposed to a 2 LED array?
I know this is possible - I see others who have successfully done this.

I just replaced all LED's in a 2226B. I used the (7) Ebay #191021320541 fuse lamps and (1) Ebay #190649138195 bipin lamps. The non polar fuse lamps just fit perfectly in the fuse clips so no soldering was required. For the "Stereo" Lamp, I cut the lead off and soldered on the no polar bipin lamp. No polarity, no mess. The whole job took less than 30 minutes. Easy Peasy! The bipin lamps should work for your receiver as well.

Attachments

• 2226 LED.jpg
    2226 LED.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 90
Thanks Buzz

Thanks Buzz.. For a novice who has not touched a soldering Iron for a long time, I could do this without any issues. Also w.r.t the LEDS, is there way to make it brighter. I bought a 5 Pack Fuse from Frys Electronics and removed the end caps after heating them. Result is Awesome.
Also how to mod the other lights including the one in the signal meter in SX828?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3616.jpg
    IMG_3616.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3624.jpg
    IMG_3624.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_3632.jpg
    IMG_3632.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
I use 2 bright LEDs with 120 Ohm MF Resistor, on the back of the fixture I put a Bridge (rectifier) with a small cap. From EE perspective I think it's more elegant. We also reduce AC distortion from the AC cables.

Have you tried using three LEDs? Looks like there is enough room to accommodate one more LED. You will of course need to adjust your resistor accordingly. Several people on eBay are now carrying those with 3 LEDs and they look very bright and quite diffused/dispersed.

I don't have the specs for those LEDs (per Buzzz) so I don't know what resistor value it will be if 3 LEDs were lined up in a series but I think it will be plenty bright.

What's the general consensus on this mod? Is it bright enough?
I bought VLMW41 LEDs before reading to the end :)
Can these LEDs be ran at 20mA? Do they need heatsinking of sorts or they would be safe suspended in the middle of the glass tube? I will start making them tomorrow night.

3 LEDs

What's the general consensus on this mod? Is it bright enough?
I bought VLMW41 LEDs before reading to the end :)
Can these LEDs be ran at 20mA? Do they need heatsinking of sorts or they would be safe suspended in the middle of the glass tube? I will start making them tomorrow night.

It is bright but I want even more brighter ones.
Can you make 4 LEDs instead?
I used 3 LED's but wrap them with Vellum paper to reduce the hot spot.
It definitely removed hot spot but it reduved the brightness too!

I would buy and try if there is a 4LED one.
I don't think heat sink is necessary as they are not that hot.

I don't know if I'll try with 4. I will first make one with two LEDs and see what is happening. With 4 I need to parallel 2 by 2.

Four LEDs may not light or if they will light it will be such a low value dropping resistor it will be hard to get the current set very exactly or evenly amongst all units. I don't believe there would be any more gain out of it as far as dispersing light unless the ends ones were angled ot a bit more. Doing a 2 x 2 would be a messy task!

I made one and they look good so far. I also got classical bulbs that are 250mA in case I decide to go vintage. For comparison there are two 250mA bulbs at each end of the tuner dial.
Also I chose a 220ohm resistor to get closer to the 20mA rating of the LEDs.
They look almost the same for me as brightness goes, even better live. In photo the blue gets shifted more to violet then in reality.
And keep in mind I have 250mA bulbs in the photo.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424721653.292360.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424721660.806279.jpg

Finished!
For me it seems plenty bright. I don't understand why some say it's not enough. I don't need a flashlight in my room.
One tip, do increase the resistor value for the two dials on the left side. I used 220 ohm for the tuner dial and 330 ohm for the level dials. And I would increase it even more to 470 ohm but I'm lazy and tired right now.
If made the same as the tuner dial they will be brighter as there's more white exposed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424730672.221144.jpg

Here you see it's brighter:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424730685.998640.jpg
Here you see the difference between them when upping the resistor:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424730717.433270.jpg

Here's the final setup:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424730756.815340.jpg

If I don't have the platic plate over the LEDs and I don't look directly at them I can notice the 100hz flicker with the corner of my eye.
All in all nice mod! Thank you OP.

Back
Top Bottom