DIY MC Step Up Transformer

Check out the JE Labs link in my OP, there's an example for switchable impedance.

I didn't have the link there when I first posted, I thought I should include it because its full of info.

Thanks!!
That link looks familiar; I may have seen it when I first started delving into this a few months back. Unfortunately, the switchable impedance on my transformers isn't isolated to specific pins and requires switching leads; that's the monkey wrench in my works.

What cart are you running, Jay? And are you using step up iron, or something else?

Redboy
How do you like the Cinemag transformers ? I have been looking at building a step up for my Denon 103, Im running a Denon stepup now and am really happy with this setup.
But Im hearing that the Cinemag and Denon combo is the deal.

bob

Redboy
How do you like the Cinemag transformers ? I have been looking at building a step up for my Denon 103, Im running a Denon stepup now and am really happy with this setup.
But Im hearing that the Cinemag and Denon combo is the deal.

bob
Bob, I haven't actually had a chance to audition it. I picked up a DL-103 to mount on an arm I've ordered (and haven't yet received). I figured I'd mount it to my Linn Akito while I waited, but that cart won't physically fit on that arm - the headshell lead clips on the arm end get in the way of the cartridge body. It's quite aggravating, really. So I'm tinkering a bit and trying to make a DIY tonearm to try. I don't expect that to actually work but it should be a learning experience, anyway. :rolleyes:

Bob, I haven't actually had a chance to audition it. I picked up a DL-103 to mount on an arm I've ordered (and haven't yet received). I figured I'd mount it to my Linn Akito while I waited, but that cart won't physically fit on that arm - the headshell lead clips on the arm end get in the way of the cartridge body. It's quite aggravating, really. So I'm tinkering a bit and trying to make a DIY tonearm to try. I don't expect that to actually work but it should be a learning experience, anyway. :rolleyes:

Red Boy saw your MC Step Up! Nice work! :yes: I especially like the case :thmbsp:

I built mine some 10 yrs back from Hammonds and used a Hammond case it has switchable gain but of course but the input impedance changes with that. The sound is very good! I never used it much as I built a very quite all tube phono MC phono stage with 66db of gain that a friend wanted because he didn't want to deal with transformer issues. I was told it is impossible to build a quite all tube MC phono preamp but I found its all in the approach of what circuitry one uses.

Anyway heres a couple of photo's of mine, its pretty solid looks good, sounds good as another friend used it with his Denon 103 for a few yrs before he went to lundahl's in a K & K Audio Kit. Here

http://www.kandkaudio.com/phonostage.html

sd530015.jpg

sd530027.jpg

All in all building your own step ups from a kit or a scratch build is a lot of fun!:thmbsp:

Cheers

SET12

Guys
I will be ordering my Cinemag transformers today! Im using the Denon 103 and the cheeper Denon Denon AU-300LC step up transformer, from audiocubes2 at the time the stepup was a little over a hundred bucks. For the money invested in the cart and transformer WOW.
Im hearing that the Cinemag and Denon combo is pretty stellar.
I'm running my Denon in an SME 3009, on a Thorens TD124 and im totally happy.

bob

Last edited:
Okay, I'm jumping in on this thread. I am a definite DIY guy, and I recently ordered a Benz Micro Gold. Rather than everyone emailing each other schematics and stuff, could you start uploading them to the thread?

Now all I have to do is learn how to read an electrical diagram :D

-Phil

They come from http://www.cinemag.biz/ and they don't publish the price, you have to ask for a quote. Would anyone who ordered them recently just give the rest of us a ballpark figure? Thanks!

Hey Guys
I just ordered a pair of CMQEE-3440A transformers today for my mc step up project.
The cost was $50.50 each.
bob

I bet they'll go out tomorrow, then. I had to wait for a new production run to get mine, but they were shipped promptly on the promised date.

Well guys, Cinemag was going to invoice me thru Paypal, but I haven't gotten the email yet.
Hopefully Tuesday.
Man was hoping to have my trannies before the weekend..
bob

Guys
I will be ordering my Cinemag transformers today! Im using the Denon 103 and the cheeper Denon Denon AU-300LC step up transformer, from audiocubes2 at the time the stepup was a little over a hundred bucks. For the money invested in the cart and transformer WOW.
Im hearing that the Cimemag and Denon combo is pretty stellar.
I'm running my Denon in an SME 3009, on a Thorens TD124 and im totally happy.

bob

I'm very interested to hear your results and opinions. I am running a nearly identical combo to you. I have the same table, arm, and step up. The only difference is i'm running a Zu Audio DL-103. I've thought alot about upgrading my step up either via a DIY unit or having my pre amp modded for it. Either way I hope it works out for you and look forward to hearing your results.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy
Hoping I receive the order conformation from Cinemag today.
I gotta get moving and get all the parts I need to build my step up.
Im pretty happy with the combo I have now, but after reading so much about the Cinemag/Denon combo I have to give it a try.
I have been thinking about trying the Denon 103R, maybe soon.
I have a Fairchild tonearm that I'm thinking mated up with a Denon would be pretty sweet. That gives me a good reason to try the 103R. Maybe some cart swapping will be in my future.
A bud uses the Cinemag transformers in studio work for mike matching and says they are as good as the rest, so they come highly recommended.

bob

Guys
Good news ! got my conformation email ! I have paid and should be the proud new owner of a pair of Cinemag Transformers.

bob

Back
Top Bottom