DIY Music Server

My only question to the two here that built servers is... why use windoze?

There are a few really good free linux based music server packages out there if all you want is a server. If you are also using this for video then there are other great free OS's out there...

They use up a LOT less drive space for the OS, and they also leave a lot of available RAM, not to mention, usually run faster...

I use an old Dell as my music server... Running Ubuntu on it because I also use it as a media server... surfing the web on the TV... watching music videos and youtube, and streaming movies. Not just strictly for music but an all around media server connected to the stereo and TV.

There's some great application in the Linux world that blow away windows applications for running media.

Not trying to get people to dump windows, just trying to point out that there's an advantage of Linux apps over windows apps, like speed and size, and some are a lot more powerful with a lot more configuration options, and added functions

Last edited:
Can't tell if troll, or....

I use Windows 7 because I got it for free from Microsoft for being a developer.

The machine has a dual core/hyperthreaded 1.8ghz Atom with 4GB of RAM - so why try to tease a couple extra free megabytes or clock cycles out by running something so less user friendly? It's not like we are running the system from a RAMdrive. Even with 'Windoze' the memory usage hovers around 25% used.

I stare at enough bash at work, I don't need it to follow me home, too! Plus, my wife and 2 year old daughter use the box, too. I don't feel like teaching her how to use make :p

Trust me.. I'm no troll.. I was just asking.. .but seeing that you are a developer for MS, and that you get it free, then OK, I understand now..

I've been usjing Linux for years at home.. I support MS software at work.. and that's why I don't use it much at home... I can't remember the last time I've opened a terminal on a linux box... and I think I forgot what Make is... :D

It's all good, I just thought you might be trying to start a "Linux vs Windows" debate, and we all know how those turn out.

I use whatever is the best tool for the job and doesn't leave me broke. To that point, I probably would have tried something free had I not gotten the licenses.

A word of advice, if you sign up for a Microsoft Launch Party, they're free, and you leave with free copies of software. It's a great way for bagging an O/S, SQL Server, Office, etc...

I've got Win XP licenses up the wazoo and know it inside and out. Also, the proprietary DVR software doesn't run on Linux.

It's all good, I just thought you might be trying to start a "Linux vs Windows" debate, and we all know how those turn out.

One of those debates with no winner. Analog vs Digital, Intel vs AMD, nVidia vs AMD, Ford vs Chevy, tubes vs SS...enough to make your head spin LOL.

Windows is the most supported OS for anything audio, video, or otherwise. The software that is available to Linux, etc does not compare in many areas to Windows - things like drivers, DAC support, WASAPI Streaming support, many hi-Rez support for both audio and video. I don't mean that you can't do these things in Linux, I'm saying you can't do them to the extent that you can in Windows and to the best audio/visual degree. Every company making the best DAC's and anything A/V related are working on the Windows platform. So, while you can do a nice audio/video HTPC on many other OS's, they will never be as good (all things considered - and I'm not talking about personally) as if done in Windows. They may be fine for many people, just like mp3 music if fine for many. But if you want the best platform then Windows is it. Also, the overhead, RAM usage, hard drive space, etc.....really? When you can get a 1 terrabyte hard drive for less than $70.00 you're gonna worry that Windows eats up 8 gigs of space over Linux's 4? Or with 4 gHz quad core and 8-core CPU's you're gonna complain Windows is using too much CPU overhead? Or when you can buy 16 gigs of RAM for less than $80 you're gonna worry about memory usage? Really, there is no other OS in the world as flexible and reliable as Windows. A lot of people hate it, and many more love to hate it, but in the end it's Windows that 90 percent of developers are working on/with/for. If you want the most reliable home built media system, then Windows is the ONLY choice. If you want to fool with other OS's there is nothing wrong with that. But when something breaks, or a driver is needed, or touchscreen support won't work, or..... well, you will have no one to turn to.

Jimmy

Nice job on the chassis. :thmbsp: Reminds me of my overclocking days lol.
Here's a simple and cheap music server that I built. Very DYI!

Total cost was less than $150 using both purchased and recycled parts:

Motherboard + Proc = Intel D525MW ~ $80
PSU Pico 120W ~ $30
Memory 4GB ~ $30
Recycled Hard drives and power brick $0
I run Win XP and Logitech Squeezeserver software.

This little rig has plenty of power to support three Squeezeboxes and has been solid as a rock for over a year, now.

attachment.php

The upright board on the left is not really part of the music server (It is a Geovision DVR board as I use the same system for video surveillance).

Here's a simple and cheap music server that I built. Very DYI!! This little rig has plenty of power to support three Squeezeboxes and has been solid as a rock for over a year, now.

Now that is a very kick ass setup...love the case.

Lol The case is actually the lid from a small wooden craft box - provides great ventilation for this fanless setup. This server is stashed out of sight in my office and is run headless most of the time. If it was on display, I would dress it up with a proper case.

The OS drive is a SSD while the music library is on a regular drive. The only noise source in the whole setup is the regular hard drive and only my dog can hear that. I can't unless my ear's less than a foot away.

Lol The case is actually the lid from a small wooden craft box - provides great ventilation for this fanless setup.

Thats very cool. Youve given me an idea. I have this cedar cigar box sitting here with nothing in it, I might have to build a router out of it :D.

I am impressed by the technical expertise of all of you digital DIY'ers. I am technically challanged, but really wanted to add a digital server/internet radio device to my 2 channel system.

I recently purchased a Dennon DNP720AE Music server for $499. I think the Internet Radio sounds a little shallow compared to a good analog tuner, but I get stations without static, hiss or multiplex issues, from all over the country. I really like the USB playback. The unit has a 24-bit, 192 kHz D/A converter that plays back flac files and other lossless downloads very well. Too bad you can't run other digital media sources, like a PC, through it. Pandora sounds great and the wireless capability is strong.

I understand that the Cambridge unit for about $100 more is superior. I'm satisfied with the Denon.

Back
Top Bottom