DIY OB Infinity speakers, need driver ID's and some help...

virak

Save the vinyl!
OK, so I got these badboys for $35 at a fleamarket today:
ZG13rmv.jpg

4JqxiM0.jpg

The tweeters are obviously Kappa (EMIT K?), unfortunately, one of the tweeters have some distortion.
Some quick google-fu showed a way to fix dead EMIT's, but what do I do with the distorting one?
Also what are the other drivers? The mids looks like Infinities of some sort, but I can't identify them, though.
The woofers are a complete mystery to me. *EDIT* They're Goodmans.
Tweeters:
3z3dcje.jpg

uYK8pYd.jpg

Mids:
Q0hAcv8.jpg

YjQxNIN.jpg

Woofers:
f2cjdt4.jpg

XKLZaTq.jpg

Last edited:
Those EMITs are the car version. The rest do not look like Infinity drivers (the mids bear a slight resemblance to Kappa Polydomes, but I've never seen an Infinity dome that was recessed like that.

Can you swap the distorting EMIT into the other speaker to see if the problem is the crossover?

Thanks, I think I found the tweeters. EMIT K from the KAPPA CS2K kit.
The distortion definately sounds like a mechanical issue, so I'll try out cdfac's tip from http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/buzz-in-emit-emins.166789/

The mids really look like Polydomes, but they're really hard to identify. BTW, does the yellowing of the domes impact the drivers other than cosmetically?

The woofers are identified as Goodmans 6.5" 8Ohm. Someone peeled the little blue sticker off all 32 drivers!
$_57.JPG

The mids really look like Pol
ydomes, but they're really hard to identify. BTW, does the yellowing of the domes impact the drivers other than cosmetically?
Soundwise, not really, but it does indicate that they're aging, which means they're more brittle than they were when new. If you avoid touching them, they should be OK for the foreseeable future.

Otherwise they're a mystery - the frame looks like a Seas 76MF, but the diaphragm and rear look like a Polydome K. BTW, that's not the same mesh that Infinity used, and the half-roll surround looks a bit larger on the Infinity version:

2h4i9ft.jpg

Also, I believe the Polydome is vented in the rear.

Last edited:
My Best Infinity guess would be They are definitely not Infinity Mid-ranges !!! I would say they are Vifa mids. Here are a few pictures of them, in the back they looks exactly the same as well as the dome just the frame looks a little different.
How do those Frankinspeakers Sound. Hope this helps.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Damn, somebody took some time with those. Pretty cool looking and I'd a bought them for that, of course the wifey would have a fit. Do they sound good ? The emit K will take some serious abuse, wonder what made it fry.

You could try opening the clam of the offending tweeter. There could be some dirt in there between the diaphragm and magnet especially if that was the car version and used as such. You could also buy an emit and swap out the diaphragm so they still match.

Edit: Just realized this thread is old. Ever get these up and running?

Back
Top Bottom