DIY "Pro-Audio" Interconnects

phidauex

High Technology Hippies
I thought I'd contribute a little DIY how-to, for your reading pleasure.

I used to work in pro audio (front of house, monitor, and live recording), and one thing about pro audio is that it uses a LOT of interconnects. Plus, bands steal them, you leave them at the performance hall, they get run over by a cart, etc. You could buy new ones all the time, or you can get good at making them.

I thought I'd share my basic unbalanced interconnect recipe, since there has been a renued interest in discussing cables.

These cables are meant to be durable, have a solid connection, reject noise, have as flat a frequency response as possible, be a reasonable price, and be relatively easy to make. They are not meant to lift veils off your speaker, add sparkle, or improve your love life. They are first and formost, a working man's cable. But when people are paying thousands for you to provide their sound, they demand high quality, so they have to be good at that too.

I like them because they feel good in the hand, are very durable, and are cheap to make. Plus, they reject noise in a very satisfactory manner, and sound as good as I've ever heard a cable sound (but beware, I don't usually hear differences in cables, unless something is wrong with them).

The cable is Canare Star Quad, specifically L-4E6S. Star Quad cable has four 24 gauge stranded OFC conductors inside, two blue, and two white, all in a 'quadruple helix' twist. Each has its own insulator. Around all this is a braided copper shield with >95% coverage, and then a matte outer insulator that comes in a number of delightful colors. It is 6mm in diameter.

The connectors are Canare F-09 RCA connectors with springy strain relief. They are a narrow profile, which I like, because they fit even my more cramped components, and the brass body covers the 'leaves' of the RCA outer conductor, to protect them. The signal conductor is solid brass, and all connective points are gold plated. They also have a nice crimping clamp inside. The F-10 connectors are nice too, they are a bit fatter, and have a bit nicer machining on the leaves. They also cost a little more. They would both make good choices.

My only other addition is some red and clear heat shrink tube, and some printouts from my computer. I don't use Tech-flex, though you are welcome to do so! It is nice stuff, but doesn't really add anything but sex appeal to your cables. Even in a pro environment, the Canare Star Quad had plenty of durability. Of course, don't let me stop you! Its not that expensive, it comes in a gillion colors, and feels good in the hand.

On to the cables!

Star Quad is nice, because there are a lot of ways to use it. However, for unbalanced interconnects, the best way is to tie the two blue conductors together, and use them as the signal ground, then tie the two white conductors together, and use them as the signal. Then connect the shield to the signal ground at one end only (preventing a ground loop).

For balanced XLR connections, tie the shield to pin 1, the two whites to pin 2 (as the positive signal line) and the blues to pin 3 (as the negative signal line). Leave the connector chassis floating. In this balanced configuration, you can run low level signals hundreds of feet, along power cables, and still get a crystal clear output. I'd put it against any other cable for this configuation.

Noise rejection isn't so good with unbalanced interconnects, but star quad still helps. The double twisted pairs results in a cable with vanishingly low inductance and series resistance, though modestly high capacitance (compared to other cables). However, for an interconnect, I feel that low inductance is more important than low capacitance. The low inductance and full shield means it rejects RF and EM interference quite nicely. Being nearly silent around SCR type dimmers (a massive source of interference) is one of Star Quad's claims to fame.

attachment.php

Here are the connectors, and the cable.

attachment.php

Slide the pieces over the cable. If you forget this step, you'll be mad at yourself!! I've slipped over a clear piece of heat shrink with a slip of paper from my computer under it. It says 'source', because conventionally, the side of the interconnect that has its ground tied to the shield goes to the source of the audio. If you mix it up, its not a real problem, but this is the best practice. Then is a piece of red heat shrink tube, to indicate that this is the right channel of a stereo pair. Then the connector chassis, and the springy strain relief.

I don't cover my connectors in heat shrink, though some people like to. I buy the cheaper 2:1 heat shrink, which doesn't shrink enough for that process, and it makes it hard to disassemble the interconnects later for reconfiguration. Also, it makes them wider, and I bought narrow for a reason. But again, if you like the look, don't let me stop you!

Also shown on the table, the core of the connector.

attachment.php

Strip back about a half inch of the main insulator. Pull the shield down a bit, and snip it down the center. Pull off any stray bits of shield, and twist the remaining shield around to the side.

Strip back most of the blues, and twist them to the shield. Then strip back just a little bit of the whites, and twist them together.

The blues/shield bundle will go through the hole in the connector, and the white bundle will go to the center conductor.

attachment.php

I put the cable into place, and give the crimp a squeeze with my fingers to hold it steady. Place the white wires into place, and solder them in. I use basic 60/40 rosin core solder.

Note, a 10$ hobby vice from http://www.harborfreighttools.com makes this job about a million times easier. :)

attachment.php

Flip it over, fold the shield/blue wire bundle backwards and flush, and then solder it on, make sure you get a good solid adhesion to the chassis.

Crimp down the cable grabby crimp with some pliers. Don't go nuts, or it'll tear through the insulation, just give it a gentle squeeze from a few angles so it gets a good grip.

Not shown, a small wrap of electrical tape around the crimp helps the springy strain relief stay in place without wiggling.

Once they are soldered, gently bend the chassis if necessary to make it straight, and then slide the outer body up, and screw it into place. To get it firm, I grab the center pin with some duck bill mini-pliers (with no teeth), so I can get a grip. But don't go too tight, just enough to hold it in place.

attachment.php

Heat the heat shrink tubing to cause it to, uh, shrink. I use a lighter (very gently), but a heat gun is the most appropriate tool. The 'source' label is down the cable a bit, to keep it from interfering with the cable flexibility at the end.

There, one side is done!

attachment.php

The next side is a bit different... This time we aren't tying the shield to the blue wires. Strip back the same amount of cable as before, but this time, snip off all the shield. A quick wrap of electrical tape prevents any remaining bits of shield from making connection.

Solder the connection together as before, making sure you don't melt off the electrical tape you carefully laid in place.

Crimp the connector, twist on the body (that I hope you remembered to slide over before soldering!!), and enjoy!

attachment.php

A finished 2 meter pair. They aren't the sexiest cables in the world, but they have a good design, good parts, and they'll treat you right.

Final specs:
Capacitance: 150 pF / meter
DC Resistance: < .098 ohms / meter
Attenuation: .003 V / meter
Group Delay: 5.9 nS / meter
Nominal Impedance: 44 ohms

I got my parts from Markertek, http://www.markertek.com, a broadcast and pro audio supply house.

The connectors were 2.19$ each, and the cable was $0.36 per foot. The final price, for a 1 meter stereo pair: $10.92

The heat shrink I already had around, but it is just a few dollars for a four foot section, so just pennies per interconnect.

How do they sound??? Well.. They don't! Not to me, at least. They are very clean, reject noise very well, and make the component sound like I think it should. Really cheap cables sound bad, these cables sound like nothing. Like a cable should. :)

Will it beat fancy cables costing gillions more? I dunno! But it does have some good solid engineering behind it, so I think it has a least a fighting chance. ;) These connectors and cables are used by many high end manufacturers, and are sold by the gillions to the more lazy pro audio companies. Quite a number of HiFi interconnects use the same cable as well, hidden beneath the pretty tech-flex.

I'm going to submit a pair to the Cable Swap, as well, so people can give them a try alongside their other cables, and alongside the other fine cables in the Swap.

Hope you've enjoyed reading my incredibly long winded explanation of how I make bits of wire on my coffee table while watching a movie (made 10 interconnects during "Howl's Moving Castle", so not too bad).

peace,
sam

Attachments

• cable1.jpg
    cable1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 7,532
  • cable2.jpg
    cable2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7,381
  • cable3.jpg
    cable3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7,354
  • cable4.jpg
    cable4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 7,295
  • cable5.jpg
    cable5.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 7,275
  • cable6.jpg
    cable6.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 7,242
  • cable7.jpg
    cable7.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 7,227
  • cable8.jpg
    cable8.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 7,309
Last edited:
Can't wait to try them Sam - did you get my email?

Thanks for supporting the cable swap program!

Very nice "write-up" Sam.
They sure look dang nice for the price.
Thanks for taking the time for the pictures and links, etc... :thmbsp:

Glad to see these...I have also done alot of pro sound over the years and these are almost identical to cables I have made or used. Definitely old school! :D I have also used good 75 ohm solid copper core and copper or tinned copper shielded coax for the same purpose to good effect.

zintkala said:
Glad to see these...I have also done alot of pro sound over the years and these are almost identical to cables I have made or used. Definitely old school! :D I have also used good 75 ohm solid copper core and copper or tinned copper shielded coax for the same purpose to good effect.

Yup, anyone in the pro circuit has seen a few of these before. ;) Like I said, a real workin' man's cable.

Good point on the coax! I forgot to mention it:

I sometimes make cable with Canare L-4CFB (also available from http://www.markertek.com), its an RG59 type coaxial cable, tinned copper braid shield plus a foil sub-shield, PTFE insulation, and a solid center conductor. It has lower capacitance, and is a little cheaper than starquad (only $0.23 per foot), but has a harder time rejecting noise, and doesn't feel as nice in the hand, or lay as well along the floor, so I don't use it much for regular interconnects. It is, however, a great choice for lower noise environs, and it has a nice solid OFC center conductor. I DO use it to make coaxial digital cables because the lower capacitance is more important for a digital signal (made one last night).

I use the same connectors, and the same basic process. The center pin is the signal, and the shield is connected to ground at both sides. If there is a desire, I could send one of my coaxial digital cables to the swap as well.

peace,
sam

PS Hmm, can't find your email, russ! Hmm, even the spam filter didn't seem to eat it... Resend, if you would? sam at flexistentialist dot org

Last edited:
Very nice post Sam, I'll be referring to this when I get around to building my own cables.

Thanks!

very nice...

A very informative and detailed thread!

I started a thread several months ago looking for suggestions and/or recipies on how to make good quality IC's... and AK'er Leestereo posted a very similar recipie using Canare products, but unfortunately his photos disapppeared whith the server crash in the fall of 2005.

Here is the link to the original thread http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37480

Ahh, Leestereo's got about the same method! Of course, he uses the whites for ground, and the blues for signal... Sacreligious!! ;)

Like I said, this isn't my magical mystery design, its just a good ole' pro interconnect. There are probably a gillion of them floating around out there, languishing in the drawer of an anvil case, rattling its way across the nation in the back of a truck, to be hooked up by a greasy man who had a line of coke and a shot of gin for breakfast, to carry a signal receiving many levels of amplification, before being blasted out to thousands of eager fans. Plus, I use them in my stereo. ;)

peace,
sam

This design was one of the very first DIY interconnects I ever did, about 15 years ago!

A local parts house carried the Canare wire and connectors...they were a big step up in quality both in what they were constructed from and how they sounded over the ubiquitous Radio Shack cheapa** gold ended cables...man those things have some of the thinnest gold flashing I've ever seen! The Canare plugs, OTOH, were very nicely made and to this day have not turned green or black, again unlike the RadShack junque...

One suggestion is to use the Canare F-10 instead of the F-9, the F-10 uses PTFE vs. Polyacetyl:
Canare Audio Plugs
That is if you have the space for the slightly larger barrel...and the insulation holds up better if you decide to change cable material and resolder...Polyacetyl melts fairly easily, the PTFE, well, it's Teflon...and it seems to have a slightly cleaner sound...

After the Canare, I switced to DH Labs Silversonic BL-1, much better, cleaner, clearer, less grunge, not too expensive...My Martin Logans really showed up the limitations of the Canare cables and the Monster Cable M 2.4 speaker cables, so back in 1997 I ordered a bunch of the BL-1 and T-14 to rewire my system...
DH Labs BL-1
About $3.50 per foot....

Today, for relatively inexpensive flexible interconnects I prefer using Cardas 2X21.5 ga. Twinlink, as it has a cleaner, more extended sound than most others and is pretty darn grunge free....also about $3.50 a foot, from Michael Percy...I've used WBT 0147's:
093-516m.jpg

and the Dayton version:
091-1270m.jpg

PE RCA

Along with the Canare F-10 and Cardas plugs

Both the DH and Cardas cables have shields that you treat the same way as the Canare, that is, floating at one end...

One of my favorite budget recipes is to take Andrew Heliax FSJ1-50 or FSJ2-50 and make JPS clones from them...the FSJ1 is 1/4" "Hardline" coax; this is a corrugated tubular copper shield with a copper clad aluminum center conductor...the FSJ-2 is 3/8"....it's really simple, just terminate the stuff like any other coax...to cut the outer jacket and shield I use an X-acto razor knife...just deeply score the copper until it can be snapped off....then clean the foam insulation off the center conductor.

Note: DO NOT SCORE THE COPPER CLADDING ON THE CENTER CONDUCTOR WHEN REMOVING THE FOAM INSULATION. If you do, it will never sound right. I use my thumbnail or a piece of styrene plastic, never anything like a knife or razor blade. 91% Isopropyl alchohol cleans off whatever residue is left on the center conductor....use Cardas solder for the best joint....

I used some WBT clones that I bought from someplace like MCM or Parts Express, or ? I really can't remember...
Sorry about the pop-under on this but here's a detail of the RCA plug on the Heliax:
Sorry Free Website went down, will upload later

The 1/4" stuff looks to be the same material the JPS used in their Superconductor and Superconductor + series, the 3/8" is like the Super 2....I'm currently using the 3/8 between my Audible Illusions preamp and my VTA-70i amp....

The only negatives of the Heliax based cables are that they are incredibly stiff, but once bent into position they stay, and they take 3 weeks to settle down! I have never had a set of cables YO-YO like this stuff! They start out sounding pretty good, then the next time you listen you wonder where the treble went...then the bass gets lumpy....then they go toward bright...these damn things are schizo! But, if you hang in there, after about 21 days, you'll hear their true sound...just plug 'em in, play music thru them, and let 'em rip! But be patient....

I also had used the 3/8" to make a set of bi-wire speaker cables that I used to use with my ML's, but those things were really, really stiff, and I switched to Goertz, and now I use an Ecosse CS 4.4 bi-wire cable, just because I have 'em...

Bound for Sound had a review of their speaker cables back in 1997 that said the same thing:
BFS JPS review
And another on the interconnects:
JPS Review 2

The 1/4" is $1.75 per foot, the 3/8" is $2.75, in 50' increments from Cable Experts, but there may be other places that have smaller minimum orders...I think Cable Experts used to have a 25' minimum...oh well....a quick search of ebay also brings up several sellers of Heliax....

there's also a company in Australia that makes similar cables:
The Music Cable

Another good sounding recipe that I have made, with minor modifications, is Chris VenHaus' DIY recipe (I made mine with Cardas Litz wire and Bullet plugs)
Chris VH Recipe

One of the things that I have also learned in making cables is to use an old RCA jack to hold the plug while you solder it...this is especially good with plugs that have a plastic that softens under soldering, like the F-9's and Bullet plugs, and helps keep the center pin from deforming the insulator....

Now, if you can't hear the difference between interconnects in your system, go for the Canare and don't look back! But, if your system has the resolving power to be able to discern the subtleties between cables, or you want to play with how the different impedence/capacitance/resistance of different interconnects react in your system, then there's a whole world of experimentin' just waiting for you!

Diy interconnects

Man great post,Thank you.I have been buying Markertek interconnects sinc Balanced Audio Technology turned me on to their site. I was not sure of the correct way to make my own but now I can try it. Sam or anyone else know what crimpers and dies to get if I want to crimp them that way? Their pre-made interconnects are very reasonable and have a life time warranty,plus they will make any cable to your specs or requests but I don't know the price for this service.I know I purchased xlr-rca/w canare cable and connectors for about $11.99 for a 6'pair of cables.People that want to spend the big bucks, I think their most expensive pre- made rca interconnects are $29.99 for a 3' pair made from oxygen free Canare GS-6 cable/w SwitchCraft connectors.No $10,000.00/3 meter stuff though.

RickB said:
This design was one of the very first DIY interconnects I ever did, about 15 years ago!

A local parts house carried the Canare wire and connectors...they were a big step up in quality both in what they were constructed from and how they sounded over the ubiquitous Radio Shack cheapa** gold ended cables...man those things have some of the thinnest gold flashing I've ever seen! The Canare plugs, OTOH, were very nicely made and to this day have not turned green or black, again unlike the RadShack junque...

One suggestion is to use the Canare F-10 instead of the F-9, the F-10 uses PTFE vs. Polyacetyl:
Canare Audio Plugs
That is if you have the space for the slightly larger barrel...and the insulation holds up better if you decide to change cable material and resolder...Polyacetyl melts fairly easily, the PTFE, well, it's Teflon...and it seems to have a slightly cleaner sound...

<snip>

One of the things that I have also learned in making cables is to use an old RCA jack to hold the plug while you solder it...this is especially good with plugs that have a plastic that softens under soldering, like the F-9's and Bullet plugs, and helps keep the center pin from deforming the insulator....

Now, if you can't hear the difference between interconnects in your system, go for the Canare and don't look back! But, if your system has the resolving power to be able to discern the subtleties between cables, or you want to play with how the different impedence/capacitance/resistance of different interconnects react in your system, then there's a whole world of experimentin' just waiting for you!

Yes, the F-10 connector is probably a little higher quality, but its wider and more expensive. I do have space concerns on a lot of my gear, so the narrow is the way I go! But if you have plenty of space, the F-10 is just a few cents more.

Good tip on the old RCA jack. Its been a long time since I've deformed a cable shell insulator from solder heat, but when I wasn't such a good solder'r, I did it a few times, so your tip could provide cheap insurance!

I think Canare wire and connectors have the best 'bang for the buck' of any cable or connector out there, but if I felt the need to go 'fancier', Cardas is the way I'd go. They make pretty no-nonsense wire, and generally have good engineering to back it up. You pay a premium for it though (but still nothing like the boutique wire suppliers).

peace,
sam

chrisf said:
Man great post,Thank you.I have been buying Markertek interconnects sinc Balanced Audio Technology turned me on to their site. I was not sure of the correct way to make my own but now I can try it. Sam or anyone else know what crimpers and dies to get if I want to crimp them that way? Their pre-made interconnects are very reasonable and have a life time warranty,plus they will make any cable to your specs or requests but I don't know the price for this service.I know I purchased xlr-rca/w canare cable and connectors for about $11.99 for a 6'pair of cables.People that want to spend the big bucks, I think their most expensive pre- made rca interconnects are $29.99 for a 3' pair made from oxygen free Canare GS-6 cable/w SwitchCraft connectors.No $10,000.00/3 meter stuff though.

You should check out the Canare website to see which crimp plugs work with what cable. http://canare.com/index.cfm?objectid=69A216BB-3048-7098-AF8323D1F6933858

If you were using the L-4CFB coax that I mentioned, you'd need the RCAP-C4F crimp plug, the Canare TC1 crimping tool, and the TDC-4C crimping die.

Unfortunately, the tool and die sets are not cheap... About 75$ for the tool, and 65$ for the die. But if you are making LOTS of cable, it'll pay for itself in ease, speed, and security of connection.

peace,
sam

phidauex said:
You should check out the Canare website to see which crimp plugs work with what cable. http://canare.com/index.cfm?objectid=69A216BB-3048-7098-AF8323D1F6933858

Unfortunately, the tool and die sets are not cheap... About 75$ for the tool, and 65$ for the die. But if you are making LOTS of cable, it'll pay for itself in ease, speed, and security of connection.

peace,
sam

This is a step I have taken as I can make lengths to size. Purchased the right tools for the job on hand with flexability. Cable I'm using Belden 1694A cable and Can-RCFP-C5F rca's
Tools I felt I needed to do the job.
Can-TC-1 crimping tool
CAN-TC-D-5CF die
Can-TS100E coax stripper
Milwaukee 8975-6 heat gun.
This I feel will pay for itself as I have a pro audio setup plus a few home setups where I would like to clean up excess length. Plus get to learn something new and it is a project I can handle that I belive will benefit my systems.

Rather than appear to be some kind of contentious jerk, I decided to build a set of the Canare L-4E6S + F-9 interconnects today.

I followed the recipes closely, but used the blue for hot, the white for ground, soldered them with Cardas QuadEutectic solder, and added a tweak that I have found interesting on cables with PVC outer jacket: treating them for static.

I clean the jackets with 91% isopropyl alchohol, then clean them twice with a paper towel wetted with Tech Spray's Zero Charge All Purpose Anti-Static Treatment, then I apply a coating of Tech Spray's Zero Charge Guardian II Static Dissapative Coating for Non-porous Surfaces with another papaer towel. After a bit of drying, they are ready to go.

So, I compared them today to 1 other cable I made, Cardas 2X21.5ga Twinlink with Canare F-10 connectors, against Wireworld's Equinox 5, and against Stereovox's HDSE....

I've gotta say, fresh outta the gate, the Canares did not suck! They seem a bit more "up-front" than the Cardas or the Wireworld, but they were quite a bit like the Cardas based cable...FWIW, all cables were 1m and used between my Phillips SACD1000 and my Audible Illusions Modulus 3A.

Speakers are my Martin Logan Aerius i's, amplifier is my tweaked Sound Valves VTA-70i, speaker cable is Ecosse...

The only real downside that I hear with the Canare is that there is a bit of chalkiness to the sound, just a layer that seems to slightly obscure and diffuse the sound....inserting the sublime Stereovox HDSE in place of the Canare cable really shows this up, the music from the Stereovox just seems to come from a much quieter place, with better image focus and clarity...not that they are any brighter, they just seem to "wash the window" so to speak...

The Cardas and the Stereovox also seem to have a better portrayal of that illusion of space that really good interconnects seem to get and lesser ones seem to fill up with a noise or grunge....currently the Canare isn't really noisy or grungy, but it isn't as pristine as say the JPS clones or the Stereovox...yet, maybe time will tell!

So, without any real burn-in on the Canare's, I gotta say that they are pretty darn good performers, in fact, I think that I would rank them as thus:

#4: Wireworld
#3: Canare
#2: Cardas Twinlink
#1: Stereovox HDSE

I feel like the Canare is a very, very good buy, and that perhaps the RCA connectors are holding it back....the F-9 has always seemed a bit grainy and obscured to me, the F-10 less so, but they just don't hold a candle to the clarity of Cardas SLVR's, much less something that's just "not there": The Bullet Plug.

Parts Connexion has a sale on some WBT stye plugs that look real interesting, and are just like the ones I use for the Heliax based interconnects...
image027.jpg

These might go a way toward helping the L4 cable sound better, and, they're $5.95 a pair!!! That's a real competitor for the Canare F-9s....

So, I've left the Canare in place and will let them play for a few days and re-run the tests and see if anything has changed then...but, if I had to put them into a "store bought" kind of realm, I'd say that they are as good as most of the $100 to $200 cables, better than about anything Monster has in that price range for sure!

Last edited:
Seems you have messed with this stuff a bunch Rick - what are you thoughts on gold plated copper plugs as apposed to brass?

Have you tried Eichmann plugs?

Billfort said:
Seems you have messed with this stuff a bunch Rick - what are you thoughts on gold plated copper plugs as apposed to brass?

I haven't personally used any of the direct gold over copper plugs, but the new Basis interconnect uses them...not cheap interconnects....but if they sound good then they are worth the price....I haven't brought any of the Basis cables home....yet!

Billfort said:
Have you tried Eichmann plugs?

Yep, I've reterminated Goertz Silver and Copper Micro Purls, XLO Reference, DNM Reson, and a homebrew version of Chris VenHaus' recipe with the copper based Bullets...the Eichman Bullet Plugs have about the smallest signature of any connector I have tried....now, they have a slightly cheaper version that uses gold plated brass instead of the copper or silver but I haven't tried them yet...

I've really gotten kind of cheap when it comes to connectors, but I can get Cardas and WBT at dealer cost so I ususally use the Cardas...I guess if I could still get the Bullet plugs at dealer cost then I 'd use them...it also depends on how massive the cable is....I wouldn't feel good about using the Bullet plugs with Heliax, for example....the locking WBT clones, though, fill the bill for them....

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom