~DIY Record Clamp~ $1.00

Augjer

Music Appreciator
So the other day I found myself without my trusty pressure-based (not mass based) record clamp! :pity:

Since I had a drill, I figured I could make something work. Hockey pucks are a good choice, but rely on mass and are kinda hard to center. Plus I didn't have one.

What I did find was a bunch of medium rubber electronics feet that I have on hand to put under certain amps or turntables or whathaveyou. These are super cheap from most electronics stores, and have a mounting hole though the center. Mine came with a metal retainer in the center.

I pulled out the metal, and drilled though the center hole with a 1/4" bit, back and forth a few times trying hard to be perpendicular. This bit is actually slightly too small for most spindles (if you were to try something solid like a puck) but the rubber foot is malleable!! Thus the hole actually "grabs" the spindle at the location it is set, rather effectively clamping your records down. I found that pushing down over the center hole was optimal since the fit is quite tight. I like that since the center is pre-drilled, you should not have mass-imbalance problems such as you may if you had to find your own center using geometry.

attachment.php

Please feel free to experiment with bit size/foot size ect. I soon retrieved my previous clamp and have been using it since. Keeping the foot in reserve or as a gift! It is also sometimes useful in conjunction with the another pressure clamp for hard to clamp records.

FYI: Once or twice the clamp was not fully set down and it allowed the record to bow up in the center slightly at some point after it started. I do no see any possibility for harm using this device with the exception of pushing down to hard when setting the clamp/removing forcibly. Perhaps the clamp could "pop" up like a champagne cork and jar your needle? Who knows. I doubt it. Clearly use at own risk. ;)

I submit this idea to the world with the hopes that it will be helpful to someone, somewhere. Always open to modification and improvement!

Attachments

• clampclamp.jpg
    clampclamp.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom