DIY sand filled turntable feet

jimmy feet

I picked up a Pioneer PL-518 yesterday only to discover, of course, no feet. I found this discussion, saw the original pictures and walked on down to the local Ace Hardware where I found that Ace rubber tips size 7/8" (51241) would slip right into the opening of the Ace 1 1/8" rubber tips (51243). I have some nice organic, Humboldt County, Mad River washed sand left over from a brick walkway project so was ready to make my own slightly modified jimmy feet.

I did a quick check of the reference material before getting started, and then realized there were five more pages of discussion! Spanning nearly six years! And the last post was two weeks ago! I love audio karma!

A friend of mine swears by wine corks for TT feet, but I had a $10 Ace Rewards card that covered the cost of the rubber tips and the sand was free. Of course, I'll pull off the feet now and then for a few shakes to unpack the sand.

Jimmy feet

Actually, your friend used the wine corks for his marantz receiver, not his turntable. Just FYI. Anyway, sand filled sounds promising!:banana:

Finally getting around to fixing my foot problem and stumbled upon this lovely thread. I looked at all 6 pages and I might have missed what size the plastic plumbing base should be.

I found how long the screws should be.
On the way to the local ace as soon as I get an answer. Thanks again

Interesting, well,,,,,,,,, not to the point I read the entire thread but,,,,,,,, as I was reading the 1st 2 or 3 pages it occurred that while the original OP project may well dampen some of the low frequency vibrations, I wonder if it's enuff to be a measurable difference between his end result and say just removing the spring from the original feet and filling the original feet's hollow base with sand,,,,,,, don't know if it's enuff to matter.

Regarding removal of the spring, I think it is there moreso for SHOCK than Small Vibrations,,,,,,,, both can be problems as we all know.

And the metal screw,,,,,,,, if we eliminate vibration and shock what is the need for 4 metal screws?

Back
Top Bottom