DIY Speaker Grille Cloth Selection

Discussion in 'DIY' started by 4yanx, Nov 4, 2006.

1. 4yanx

4yanx Active Member

Anyone know of exactly what to look for when selecting speaker grille cloth? I've seen quite a few textures and patterns and colors that look good, but not sure how to assess acoustic properties. Some look thin but are very tightly stitched, while others seem thick but are very pourous. I also saw some stuff that looked perfect, but it had a rubber-like backing. I want to use something besides burlap.

A woman in a fabric store suggested monkcloth. It is a very open weave but rather soft - thinking it might sag over time. I saw some 100% cotton cross stitch material that was 11 per inch. It looked very interesting.

What is anyone using? Given a piece of material, is there a way, like material type, etc, that will ndicate whether it be a good choice or no? Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jaymanaa

jaymanaa AK Subscriber Subscriber

All I can contribute here is watch out for synthetic fabrics. I got some stuff that was allmost like a plastic material. It looks fine now that they are done, and will most likely be durable, but it was allmost impossible to stretch. Very hard to work with. Good luck, Jay

3. Paul C

Paul C Super Member

Poly doubleknit is good. It is about the thickness of t-shirt material but quite sonically transparent. It is easy to stretch over your grill frame.

4. ejfud

ejfud Audio Pinhead

I've been using a loose weave linen of late with very good results. Iron wrinkles out before you attach it and you are good to go.

Here are the Tannoys i finished s few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

5. Artie

Artie Super Member

Nice job Gary. Its amazing how nice a clean, simple design looks. Hope they sound as good as they look.