DIY step attn/vol control

ferninando

Lunatic Member
Anyone ever built their own stepped attenuator/volume control?
In my earlier hifi days while teking at HP, they were appearing on hifi gear.
We also used some precision attns. or our products. Being a nut for ginchy hardware I had to make one for my HK Cit. 11 preamp. It was 23 step, 2dB/step with off pos. Used a 2gang, 23 pos. rotary switch. Don't remember where I got the formula for the Rs, maybe audio mags or Pop. elect. mag or a tech buddy. Worked great.

I would be interested in seeing this too. Would really enjoy getting a better attenuator in my Wright pre amp. Saw some nice ones at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest but sure felt I could build something too if I had some spare time.

I could PM you the R list and verbal info. If you can wire and solder it's easy.
I used 1/4w 5% carbon Rs but if you can get =value 1% so much the better.
I think I used switchcraft rotorys, 2 gang 23 pos.
I have the schemat. I could mail you.

this sounds pretty interesting, please post a Resistor list, as the rest insnt very hard to figure out! but please do i'm interested also

OK. Here's the list and some start info.
>in>0Db/r1(max value)>-2dB/r2>r3> etc.
Rt=50K
Max attn.=-42dB plus off position.
wiper is output.
9.6k,8k,6.6k,5.3k,4.2k,3.3k,2.65k,2.1k,1.6k,1.3k,1k,
820,650,520,410,327,260,205,160,130,100,81,off to gnd.

Good 2hr project. Have fun.

I have using Goldpoint ladder attenuator and Vishay-Dale 0.50% metal-film resistors (10k total). Used it in a passive linestage with a built in (defeatable) TDS module. A fellow AK'r is it's current owner.

Celt did you build or buy the TDS module? If you bought it, would you mind telling us where?

By the way, people Celt's passive pre is absolutely awesome. The TDS also is an added bonus that comes in handy when doing some light listening.

Back
Top Bottom