DIY Stereo Cabinet - Stand

I chose it for it's appearance, abrasion wasn't considered to be an issue since it's a stereo stand.

I dust my equipment with a Edgeless Microfiber Quick Detail Towel sprayed with Renown Dust Mop Treatment and stored in a baggie for a day before using.

I didn't think there would be much abrasion.

Might be wrong though, have been before. (Once) LOL
Not a criticism, I'm just curious. I find the harder finishes sand better; my brushing skills aren't up to a high gloss finish on large reflecting planes without a little help.

Nice work Mark B. I would love to build something like this but I'm still working, and if you were in school in 1969 we are close to the same age. My DIY projects start off strong but tend to wallow.
I'm following your progress, keep going!

Not a criticism, I'm just curious. I find the harder finishes sand better; my brushing skills aren't up to a high gloss finish on large reflecting planes without a little help.
I just wanted to explain my reasoning since you asked. I appreciate criticism and suggestions, we all have our preferences and reasons for them, I am very open to others opinions, second best way to learn is from others experiences.

Nice work Mark B. I would love to build something like this but I'm still working, and if you were in school in 1969 we are close to the same age. My DIY projects start off strong but tend to wallow.
I'm following your progress, keep going!
Thank you for the compliment, I turned 65 in Jan, how close are we?

I finally got all the outside house maintenance done, cleaned the garage today and laid out the wood shelves to start staining them tomorrow.

Thanks Spiceman50, Like your avatar!
Experimenting with the finish currently Epifanes isn't a brush and go application. 3 thin coats of 50/50 so far - Advice I received is below:

Epifanes is indeed the best spar varnish ever made. And expensive :)

A tip you already might know, I always cut Epifanes with mineral spirits and apply light coats with a lint free cloth, not a brush, slowly building layer upon layer. I start a 50/50 and work up to a 80/20, always with a light scuff between coats (i use '000' steal wool and '0000' for the last few coats). Yes, it takes a lot more time, usually 8 t0 11 coats to build a deep mirror finish, but it will be smooth and any little imperfections can be scuffed out and re-applied seamlessly.

I have no idea your skill level, but applying it 'uncut' requires great skill (and most likely an apprenticeship) to achieve a seamless smooth mirror surface Faster, yes, but brush strokes and dust imperfections are the bain of spar varnish.

Last edited:
I'll say this - it's an epic, systematic approach. At this point, I'd still be impressed. I suspect many of us concrete block and plank types (ahem, guilty) will re-examine our lives, lol.

All holes drilled, under side counter bores that hide fasteners done, thread inserts installed, bottom sides have second coat of stain. Will flip all pieces and put second coat of stain on top sides tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom