DIY Tube Amp Cases

Discussion in 'DIY' started by JMiP, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JMiP

JMiP AK Subscriber Subscriber

Have you ever made your own case for a tube amp? I've got a Magnavox 93xx model coming my way and it's not in a case; it's just all bare naked. Have you ever made a case for a naked tube amp? If so, let's see those photos! Are there plans online that a woodworker can follow to make a nice looking one?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

1... Maggy 175 on Motorola chassis...
    2... Maggy 185...
    3,4... 811SE case, and amp...
    5... Rickenbacker B9A clone (just for SnG)...

Attached Files:

Natitude and s-petersen like this.
  3. JMiP

That looks nice. Is it attached to the wooden case in some way?

4. knockbill

The cases are 3 sided, the backs are open to slide the amp in slots cut in the two side rails, and allow for wiring access in back... Works well for chassis that have flanges bent outwards.... The 811 case has cleats on the case sides/front for chassis support,,, Screws are used thru chassis to case to secure them... Rick amp sits on cleats and is fastened with screw thru chassis...

5. knockbill

These amps just have wood on the sides of the chassis, to allow access for front controls etc...

Attached Files:

6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

The case I made for my 9300 is basically the same thing. 3 sided "box", attached to the chassis using screws through the bottom where the original mount screws were. I make the screws do double duty, they hold the box on and they hold a rubber foot in place. I mitered the corners, but the angle isn't quite right so the joint is a little narrower than 90 degrees. I guess I didn't square the saw up properly beforehand. If you don't have your saw quite right you can just make the front panel as wide as the chassis plus the width of two side pieces and butt the pieces together at the corners.

7. JohnW

JohnW Member

IMG_0336.JPG IMG_0337.JPG

On this 9300, I cut off the side flanges prior to fitting the case.

Natitude, bjlefebvre and elcoholic like this.
  8. JMiP

If I am able to do this with mine, do I need to think about airflow underneath the amp?

9. knockbill

Yep, good ventilation is important... Notice the holes in the chassis,,, feet under the chassis will allow air to flow ...

JMiP likes this.
  10. Chip Chester

Chip Chester Super Member

The corners are a great place to show off your dovetail skills... :)

11. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

My latest VTA Dynaco clone build ...

[​IMG]

Front Panel Express is the sh!t for that sort of thing. Design it yourself using their software, and it shows up at your door a week later.

[​IMG]

PS ... the "limited edition" plaque came off a golf cart, the Monarch off an old Mercury. ;-}

Natitude, valvenator, drtool and 3 others like this.

12. Chip Chester

Chip Chester Super Member

Looking (way) forward, your heirs are going to go nuts researching that.
    Looks great though.

13. JMiP

HA! Yes! They're going to take it to Antiques Roadshow. "What is this masterpiece? Must be worth millions!"

14. Fatuncle

Fatuncle AK Subscriber Subscriber

15. JMiP

That's beautiful. Unique, also, with the way the power transformer stuff is tucked away in the case. Very nice

16. Fatuncle

Thanks, Im not a real skilled woodworker but I try. I'm sure someone with real woodworking skills would pick it apart. I lucked into some old BlackWalnut and a friend with a table saw cut it to the dimensions I requested. I then used a cheapo Chop saw to cut the Mitres which are far from perfect and then I assembled it with yellow glue and a 18 gauge nail gun. A couple of coats of Watco Oil then I wimped out and put a coat of Poly on it, The perforated metal used on the Transformer cover was salvaged from the bottom of an old chassis i bought at a yard sale.. The only thing that disappoints me is that I accidentally threw away the plastic Magnavox emblem that I salvaged from the original console. I would love to have that.

JMiP likes this.

17. JMiP

Is the back side of the case open so you can slide the amp in and out of it easily?

18. Fatuncle

The wood trim around the chassis is slightly thicker than the flanges on the chassis and is attached by the screws that hold the feet in place. so not intended to be removed. The Transformer cover is open on the back to promote ventilation and currently just "sits" on top. It is not attached, But I would like to come up with some type of fastener that is discreet. You can see more photos at this link.
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-magnavox-9300-ak-dcg-g73.823707/

JMiP likes this.
  19. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

Beautiful!!!!! I love how you sourced the "Monarch" and "Limited Edition" logos. They add that final finishing touch. :thumbsup:

GeeDeeEmm

20. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

Love your cabinet design. Very, very tasteful and purposeful looking. I especially like the perforated metal - I think see-through covers, even over the tubes, looks classy and professional. Black walnut . . . one of the most beautiful woods ever. All in all a super-looking cabinet. Thumbs up!

(By the way, it's not "wimped out" to use poly. Unless one doesn't mind the need to occasionally refresh an oiled finish, poly is the way to go. Choices of gloss and hue, permanent protection, easy to clean, easy to apply, tough as nails, looks great - what's not to like?)

GeeDeeEmm