DIY Turntable Begins...

Wow, you can do this at home??? That is very cool. The Navy is hiring....right now, in the next room. Looking for civilians. They are trying to fill 60 positions.

I decided to try to do a little more advanced tonearm for rendering purposes. My drawing/rendering first and the real thing after it.

graham-1.jpg

Graham%20Phantom%202.jpg

Newman, I have heard that arm. It was on a Basis Debut with a Clearaudio DaVinci attached. It was a fantastic sounding setup. :yes:

Dave, is that the one with the magnet for leveling??? I spent the weekend with friends at hunting camp. One of them is a retired machinist that has a garage shop. We schetched out a tonearm that will look very cool. It will have on-the-fly VTA, length adjustment weight adjustment, and a lifting arm AND non of it can be seen....all hidden. AND, of course, it is a swoopy piece of art.

drawing a tonearm will quickly make you want to off yourself. Hence, one tonearm.

Dave,

If drawing the tonearm on the turntable is so much trouble, just leave it off and name the turntable Lola.
:D

Actually, that's a pretty job of rendering, very nice indeed.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Made some progress today on the turntable. I got the platter machined. It's on the right side next to my first DIY table.

photo-67.jpg

Dave could I ask what rendering software you are using?

That's one massive piece of aluminum. Any idea of the weight?

Denny

The rendering software is Kerkythea, the drawing is being done with google sketchup, both are freeware.

Just shy of 60 lbs after the machining.

I just read through this thread and had a lot of fun! I was thinking about the concept of having the mass at the outer edge of the platter. Not that you should do this, but what about pockets drilled from the outer circumference towards the hub with a slightly downward slope. The pockets could be filled with mercury or ball bearings. As the platter picks up velocity, the weight would be slung outward. For start up, the weight would be at the center of the platter.

it's an interesting idea, but i'm not sure you'd ever get enough speed built up for it to work effectively. I really don't mind giving it a nudge. In fact, that's how you start and stop the Teres turntables. Very elegant solution, IMO.

I really like the magnetic bearing. I did a paper in college on future transportation and one section was on maglev trains. I think it is a brilliant way to support weight. By the way, we use many oil-impregnated bronze bearings at work. They really do a good job.

The magnet thing should be interesting. I'll be curious to find out if the vertical stability will be solid enough. If not, I'll install a ball bearing at the end of the shaft. The magnets would still remove a huge majority of the weight but I hope to avoid any physical contact.

Back
Top Bottom