DIY turntable belt

darklife

Modulating Madness
This may be a silly thread but I successfully made my own turntable belt.

I own a Garrard GT35 TT and its original belt was getting a tad loose so the spin-up time took longer than usual as it was slipping bad (even after a boiling water treatment).

Just for fun I looked around the house for some rubber that is about the same thickness with as little stretchiness.
Well out in my shed I had an old junk bicycle tire with a blown inner-tube. Took it apart and the rubber lining that is under the inner-tube so that it doesn't rub against the metal and pop is almost identical thickness to my TT belt. The rubber itself even felt the same and had the same stretchiness.

Took it inside and cut a strip off the same width of my belt using a metal ruler, a box cutter, and something flat under that I had no care if the razer blade went through.

Cut myself a nice almost perfect 19" strip, washed it good, and then wrapped it around the motor and turntable inner wheel rim and stretched until snug but not too tight, noted where my fingers were and then cut the excess.

Took a dab of super glue and connected the two ends together into a loop and rubbed the glued part back and forth in my fingers to make sure the glue didn't get too hard to cause a thump when running past the motor.
* I imagine with some light sanding you could even make the overlap almost invincible to the motor when it wraps around its spindle.

Put it on and turned on the motor.
The results? PERFECT!

The strobe on the TT stays perfectly solid on the dot, the belt does not make a twang or thump sound as it passes the glued part.

Real quick and dirty way to belt up w/o having to actually buy a new one which for some TTs are next to impossible to find.

Anyone ever try something similar?

Rubber is rubber, so that should work fine. I've seen and heard what looked exactly like monofilament fishing line used as well. You just have to get it the right length. I bought a functioning Yamaha that turned out to have a red nylon shoelace for a belt. It worked, but not well at all.

The TT I build as a kid had a belt made from the motor rubber of wind-up balsa model airplanes. taped it together with electrical tape.

Good on you! ingenuity rather than wasting $$ and waiting.
FYI tho:
Unwaxed dental floss makes for a Proven excellent drive belt as well.
Some consider it an upgrade over Belts.
Just tie a simple knot and it's Made :)

For you string people, look up the Micro Seiki knot. It looks like a big lump that shouldn't work at all, then you see it in action and it's perfect.

Nice job. I'll have to try it someday.

I recently cut the width down on a belt that was the right length for the Pioneer PL-600 (newer version) just using some sharp scissors. The one specified by several vendors was almost 50% wider than the pulley would allow. The table wasn't worth enough to try to order from multiple sources in hopes for a fit.

Hmmmm.... Edgar Villchur said that AR had to freeze the rubber for their belts so that it could be machined precisely enough to meet specs. :scratch2: Maybe yours was already machined?

... The flutter index in the AR turntable is kept to low values through the use of the simplest possible one-step drive system, mounting of the tone arm for minimum warp wow, machined drive pulley and platen, machined bearings, and possibly most important of all, a precision-machined belt (machined after freezing). Most of these factors are common in turntables in which professional standards are sought.

Yes. My turntable has a strobe on it so I can see if it is at the right speed and it is spot on with no warbling.

Can you further explain, or post photos, of how you glued the belt ends together with super glue and avoided an uneven seam? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom