DIY turntable dust cover for Realistic Lab 440

vintage4

I found one of these by the curb side recently . The thing actually works and has the original stylus . The one I have has no dust cover . Went on Ebay to find one but they cost too much , almost $100 or more . I'm no good at crafts and would like some of the members ideas who've been faced with a similar situation . I was thinking about finding some plexiglass , that' s where I stop . Any ideas on how to fabricate one of these covers yourself ? Comments appreciated .

Attachments

• realistic without cover.jpg
    realistic without cover.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 115
Timely thread! I want to replace my Pioneer PL530 cover, but go for $130/140.

I'll be watchin' with some anticipation!
Tyler

Check Craigslist or garage sales for junk turntables. You might find a dustcover that will work on yours. I have a CEC made turntable(which yours is) that a spare Technics cover almost fits and could be made to fit if I ever got around to it. Measure the plinth and go hunting. I have bought TT's for parts for under $5.

Do a search. I saw a thread within the last week on this subject with lots of great pictures. The only thing is, I can't remember if it was a new thread or if I was digging through an old one.

Do like I did. If you can't find an original on the bay, find a local plastic fabricator. I have one here that has done several for me at about $35 a top. Very nice work. Here is a pic of the one they made for my Garrard GT-55.

Attachments

• P4230211.jpg
    P4230211.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 218
  • P4230213.jpg
    P4230213.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Do like I did. If you can't find an original on the bay, find a local plastic fabricator. I have one here that has done several for me at about $35 a top. Very nice work. Her is a pick of the one they made for my Garrard GT-55.

Excellent price for that custom cover......

Do like I did. If you can't find an original on the bay, find a local plastic fabricator. I have one here that has done several for me at about $35 a top. Very nice work. Here is a pick of the one they made for my Garrard GT-55.

Old thread I know wondering if anyone knows of a place in northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin who does this for around this price. They are crazy priced on ebay plus I have a cm labs lad 200 turntable. There is not much out there on them not very many made I guess.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be completely acrylic. There are (sketchy!) details of how someone made one with a timber frame, with an acrylic top here: http://slowclouds.com/2010/06/22/turntable-dustcover/ . I’m sure even someone like me, for whom doing woodwork is like having teeth pulled, might be able to make something. Using wood from some of the put-it-together furniture available from hardware stores could be handy, as they normally have all the corners machined at exactly 90°, so that even a woodwork clotz like me can get everything exact – I’m OK at drilling holes!

I even once made a subwoofer cbinet using wood from a DIY TV cabinet, that had the edges all made at 90° and a nice black plastic finish, by using a 12 inch subwoofer from an electronics store, some stormwater pipe for the vent, and a jigsaw to cut the holes. It was so professional looking, that someone who saw it bought it off me, after hearing it when watching TV with me!

I can offer this

Generally, I measure what the dimensions should be...then I search the bay for covers...you would be surprised. Found a Sansui cover that fit a pioneer, found a technics that fit my DIY, etc etc..

Or, we get that $35 fabricator....WOW...

Generally, I measure what the dimensions should be...then I search the bay for covers...you would be surprised. Found a Sansui cover that fit a pioneer, found a technics that fit my DIY, etc etc..

Or, we get that $35 fabricator....WOW...

Yeah, I put a dark smoked dustcover from a cheap Fisher on a Pioneer PL-560. It was the exact same size except for about 1/8" in height but the mounting points were different. I just relocated the Pioneer's hinges and Bob's yer Uncle! It looked great too! The dark smoked color made the silver vinyl on the Pioneer almost look good. ;)

I got the fisher for $5.00 because it was irretrievably broken. I salvaged the dustcover and tossed the rest.

John

Back
Top Bottom