DIY Walsh speakers

...one does run the risk of being committed by committees, but only if one chooses to commit to public displays of mental 'dysplasia'...politics, media, the internet...

'Cuse me, someone's pounding on the door and I hear bullhorns....*sigh* 'They're' back again...I wish 'they'd' learn Something from the last time....*grumble, grumble*

I still refurbished the Ohm F now. They sound great with a slight drop around 3-4KHz. The dents in the cone (Titanium foil near the voice coil) is fixed on the backside with some epoxy. I know this is not a good idea, but gives the cone the stiffness it needs not to crash again....
4w0u89.jpg

5bpu0e.jpg

...I've been 'away', making the Real living....pardon....*G*

Willi, nice looking reno, haven't seen a F cone that 'clean' since they were new. The 3~4 dip might stand for a little octave eq, bump as req'd. Small price to pay for a new lease on it's life if you're satisfied with the results.... Also, those are the clearest pics of that cone I've seen of late....thanks for that. *S*

Out of curiosity, how long do you think you sank into the reno?

I listened to the video attached to post #135, and I know the problems associated with hearing speakers through other speakers - Mission 70's in my case - but they sound buzzy to me.

S.Pak...Apologies for the delayed response, I've been preoccupied by 'real life' concerns...having a busy season, which is nice when contrasted with the alternative...

Yeah, they're not perfect, nor the means of recording them. Tiny mics in small 'point 'n shoot' cameras are hardly kind. But I wanted to get Something 'out there' to refer one to if only to show that, well, Damn, they actually do work. *G* I could post a static pic and just dub in a straight audio feed and BS everyone, but for the sake of mere honesty I'll 'fly the flag', warts 'n all....

They do display the 'oddities' inherent of an omni...hard to separate the speaker from it's surroundings. That, and they're admittedly crude which is what is the driving force behind the next version. Better 'purposely selected' drivers (robust, vented), improved cones (lighter), a better surround material (Santoprene), CNC'd structures with higher tolerances, and a generally improved 'look' (less DIY 'steampunk' *L*). Still an experimental venture, to be sure....but it amuses me and keeps me out of bars. ;)

I've cast positive and negative forms which will hopefully allow forming the cones less of a chore. I've been playing about with creating a small roll-forming tool as well, as the ones available can't go small enough for the top ends of the cones, nor are they capable of dealing with such light gauge materials (2 & 5 mil). Getting the tolerances and alignments correct before the adhesives set up is driving me to make jigs to enable that....

I was once asked if this was just a hobby or something that was drifting into an obsession. I suspect it's become the latter, but I'm fine with that. *S* I can tell you and anyone that cares to ask that listening to something that you've created vs. bought is terribly satisfying. And the desire to make it/them as good as one person can manage on a 'shoestring' budget is very compelling....

BTW, when you have multiples of them you can get them to play surprisingly loud. I can force the amp that drives the speakers you've watched into thermal shutdown. It used to be the other way, cooking voice coils. Progress of a sort.... ;)

One thing I'd like to do is to make an appearance at Parts Express' yearly meet just to get some RL feedback from some peers. There's no audiophile clubs in my area, no 'philes in the area that I've met or aware of. I'm considering reaching out to the folks at Moog here in Asheville, since they're probably the only 'critical listeners' available....and I'm a deamau5 fan, which would be appropo listening material (complex synth stuff). Lure them over with some decent beer....and cheeze...*G*

Other than YouTube, I can count the number of people that have heard my little mutants on my hands...and I don't run out of fingers... Only 2 could be considered 'fi folk', and not what I would consider 'critical listeners'....impressed by what they see and hear, but not 'deep' in analysis of such. And that's what I'm desiring now...feedback in situ.

OK....upper drivers partially completed and tested. 2 mil alum cones on larger motors, .75" dia. vc. And, wonder of wonders, they work essentially as desired. Wonders 'n blunders never cease. *L* Happy to make some progress on my little project. Since 'real life' work has occupied most of my hours (large out of state project that'll wrap up...mmm, Dec./Jan.), it was nice to be able to 'shoehorn' (remember those?) these in....
Next part of the project ramps up the difficulty level. But I've been spending time 'building between my ears' (it's easier and less frustrating to mess up a daydream), it ought to proceed without major surprises. As did these...

Back from 'out of state' (FL) project mentioned above....plan to push the tempo again, parts to collect, make, have made to get the next version into reality. Nice to be back with my 'steampunk speakers', although a pair of an earlier version came along for the trip to provide respite from hotel clock radio and flat screen audio. One seeks solace where one can....*G*

Slated to return to FL in late March/early April...let's see if I can get V.4 to be beyond drawings and daydreams...

Keep up the good work. Hope you can get some auditions for those that have critical listening skills.
Your work seems to be very accurate. Good luck going forward.

Westend, I've actually made contact with 2 individuals that are willing to give a critical listen. One is a local that builds well regarded amps for guitars and the like; the second is a design/builder of omni speakers that's a 2ish hour drive away. The latter is a good and long term bud of the guy that originally launched my interest in diy-ing these speakers...
http://www.decware.com/radial.htm
Now, if Steve is interested in tagging along on that excursion I'm going to determine if I should thank him or inquire if there's a cure for this...*LOL*
I've also considered inviting a fellow I've emailed on a unrelated issue that works for Moog here in AVL. Since I'm a fan of synths and the interesting forms of music one can create with them, that would add another pair of ears to the mix. Always up for another angle, as taste in the formats varies for us as it certainly does for me. Anything from a visit to the local symphony for a dose of an interesting classical to EDM (fan of deadmau5) through nearly all sorts of 'in between'. One could say I resemble a musical whore....*L*

BTW....I'm back. *S* Hi, y'all. *S*

After 7 wks. in FL & 2 wks. of recoup', restoration, and relative 'nice, normal chaos' it's nice to be able to take a moment and see if anyone's still 'listening'.
wink.gif

Anyhow...have picked up the parts and started doing some assembly on the V.4's. The CNC'd bases have been laid out and drilled, the tweets have been installed into theirs, and patterns are about to be created for the surrounds and assembly routines on the main cones. Tubing and hardware will begin to be cut after some 'fine tuning' of lengths...just to be sure, as 'stretchers' for that sort of thing are in short supply...

Have had 9 wks. to consider cone fabrication, still a major routine to get into. Rolling them is still a hands-on activity that demands time, patience, and a high degree of attention and care. I'm planning on doing a 'test crash dummy' or three to ensure I can create 4 final ones that exhibit a high degree of duplication and quality control.

Getting my head back into the quest has taken some 'goofing around' with side projects, just to 'warm up' the hands that will do the deed...

...and I'm just about There. *G*

Meanwhile....have hit upon a means of rolling cones that seems a winner and eliminates 'issues' in hand forming or the use of a slip roller that doesn't exist in a small enough format.
And have come upon a source of 2 mil titanium big enough to create the cone sizes I prefer. Sometimes the Goddess smiles...*S* One must remember to smile back, and enjoy the sun winking at you.... ;)

I've been away, but have an excellent rationale as to why & what....TAVR surgery for a what turned out to be a 'mutant' aortic valve (2 'flaps' v. the normal 3)....I'm happy to be a 'Poster Organism' for the procedure; if it's an option, Do It & Get Back to What You'd Prefer to Be Doing....Faster...;)
Meanwhile...
https://markforged.com/
....now, all I need to do is be 'right place+right time' when one tumbles off the truck.....;)

BinaryMike....*L* Obviously, I get to 'walk that walk' a lot.....:whip::rolleyes:

Oh, well...I'm still above the soil, so shan't complain...it's only entertaining with some sort of stimulant shared with the company of another venting party.....;)
Anyway, in the interminal interval, I've hit on a means of rolling cones of both Al & Ti in a predictable fashion, modded my router table for the same scenario, and even scored a small but suitable lathe to fashion cone armatures...and didn't have to lose arm nor leg nor nut to accomplish such.:D Even picked up a duplicate eq and a nifty balance & level box to get a better handle on the ultimate outputs of both the objects and what they're supposed to do.....;)
Now all I have do is find a Pause button on the Reality Remote to find more time to put all that into motion....:idea::rant::banana:

Should be simple....:confused:

If you like music
and believe it makes you a better person
and feel it effects other people in the same fashion
and hope that it could make us all better people sharing it
if only for the length of a song
Listen

Clocking in, just to verify I'm still vertical @ this time...;)
Fortunately, spouse and self are in a 'lock down' situation that doesn't require much more than out for vittles....work is of a nature that it's 'pending' without having to be out 'n about...
Been spending the time Finally getting my audio-only super 'puter together, routing plastic, forming cones (aluminum & titanium), cleaning up our lot of undesirable growth before the kudzu, honeysuckle, and other weedies take over again....
Hope to enter the unlimited competition @ the Midwest Audio weekend this year....but we'll see how that shakes out....;)
Y'all stay healthy....*fist bumps all around*.....'ciao 'till the next update...*S*

Back
Top Bottom