DJ Setup - Subwoofer connectivity

LoopyNLogic

Hi yall,
I'm starting to do more small gigs with my friend Matt and his DJ business. We only do Weddings, Graduations and formals for small sizes.

I just picked up my own setup off craigslist. I tested everything before purchasing and all components sounded great. Here's what I have thus far:

2x JBL EOS 1500's
1x JBL MP255S
1x Crown XL1000s - used for the sub
1x Crown XL1500s - used for the 2-way mains
1x Behringer 1202FX Mixer

What's confusing me is the connection to the Sub. I can't figure out the best way to hook up the subwoofer using a crossover. From what I've gathered, I need a 2-way crossover with a subwoofer mono output.
But looking at the crossovers, they split up the mid-high into 2 separate channels of which I can't do cause my EOS's are 2-ways (with crossovers built in).

Here's the crossover i'm considering:
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-CX...507915311&sr=1-1&keywords=behringer+crossover

I'd like to stick with stereo for my mains as well. If you could help with the connections I'd appreciate it.

You would set the XLS1000 to bridged/mono mode to power a single sub and engage the low pass filter.

The XLS1500 would be left in stereo/dual mode to power the mains and engage the high pass filter.

You do not need a separate, external crossover for basic crossover functions are built into the amps.

You would set the XLS1000 to bridged/mono mode to power a single sub and engage the low pass filter.

The XLS1500 would be left in stereo/dual mode to power the mains and engage the high pass filter.

You do not need a separate, external crossover for basic crossover functions are built into the amps.

Ok I got that hooked up like that now. sweet!

Now when using the crossover to fine tune since the amps only have 4 filter settings, how do I hook up my mains coming from Mixer>Crossover>XL1500 amp?

upload_2017-10-13_13-47-24.png

If you are going to use an external crossover then you don't need to engage any of the filter stuff in the amps.

Set the crossover in stereo mode.

Set the XLS1000 to bridged mode for the sub, then input 1 of the amp goes to the sub out jack on the crossover.

The XLS1500 for the mains used in stereo would connect to the high outputs on the crossover.

Then you have to set the sub crossover point and the low/high crossover points to where you want. Maybe 100Hz good starting point.

What's wrong with the 4 filters on the amps? The external crossover seem like it may give more problems than it's worth.

I was a wedding DJ for over 30 years and my last setup involved the Crowns you have. Ditch the external crossover and use the ones in the amp. My main rig in the house uses Crowns because I think they are that good, for what that's worth.

What's wrong with the 4 filters on the amps? The external crossover seem like it may give more problems than it's worth.

I was a wedding DJ for over 30 years and my last setup involved the Crowns you have. Ditch the external crossover and use the ones in the amp. My main rig in the house uses Crowns because I think they are that good, for what that's worth.

Thank you guys for the quick reply's.

I thought I needed the crossover to split up the signal since my mixer (Behringer 1202FX) only has only 1 set of out puts (L & R). Once those are connected to the 1st amp (xl1500), how would I be able to get a signal to the 2nd amp (xl1000) for the sub and control it's gain?

I apologize if I'm making this more complicated than I have to. I'm more acclimated with DAC's, Tube amps, TT's & level entry home theater systems....

I'll bet your rig sounds good

Thank you. It does sound very good when the PO hooked it up to his system before I bought it (Mackie controls). It has very rich sound, far reaching highs & the bass is very clear for that size sub.
The PO too was using a crossover and mixer combination.

Thank you guys for the quick reply's.

I thought I needed the crossover to split up the signal since my mixer (Behringer 1202FX) only has only 1 set of out puts (L & R). Once those are connected to the 1st amp (xl1500), how would I be able to get a signal to the 2nd amp (xl1000) for the sub and control it's gain?

I apologize if I'm making this more complicated than I have to. I'm more acclimated with DAC's, Tube amps, TT's & level entry home theater systems....

You keep referring to XL1000 and XL1500 amps. Is that the actual model numbers, or typo?

Pictures?

One of the challenges is the mono sub. The crossover provides a summed mono output for that. There are ways to do that without a crossover, as I'm sure you know. Hearing from the OP on what amps he has for sure will help.

You keep referring to XL1000 and XL1500 amps. Is that the actual model numbers, or typo?

Pictures?

Yep those are the actual models of my amps. please see manufacturer link for further specs:
https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xls-1000

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xls-1500

One of the challenges is the mono sub. The crossover provides a summed mono output for that. There are ways to do that without a crossover, as I'm sure you know. Hearing from the OP on what amps he has for sure will help.

Yes that's the issue that's got me stumped. I want to approach the issue with the most cost effective and logical way. And at this point, I'm very indecisive on the matter.

@LoopyNLogic

Ok, so the amps are XLS, not XL. That's what I thought but just wanted to confirm since "XL" had been mentioned a couple times.

Do you already have the external crossover; yes or no?

Last edited:
@LoopyNLogic

Ok, so the amps are XLS, not XL. That's what I thought but just wanted to confirm since "XL" had been mentioned a couple times.

Do you already have the external crossover; yes or no?

Oh my gosh, I'm sorry guys.....I honestly didn't see that I was leaving the "S" out of the model.

I did not order the external crossover yet : )

@LoopyNLogic

View attachment 1026026

Scroll down a bit in this link http://www.rane.com/note109.html to see the balanced summing adapter/wiring.

The 100Hz high pass and 100Hz low pass are just my thoughts on where to start. You can adjust them as you see fit in both amps.

Ok so after going through that link thoroughly, and I do mean thoroughly, it makes sense to use a Balanced Summing box in order to produce a safe mono signal from a Stereo line source.

However, due to my limited knowledge of electronic components (I've only recapped speaker crossovers and replaced speakers in new cabinets), I don't have a firm grip on which resistors to go with:
http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Resistors/_/N-5g9n?P=1z0wndxZ1z0z819Z1z0wljo

I have a few electronics boards laying around along with a few project boxes to start. I'll have to source out my XLR female terminals but I'd really like to give it a go with this option.

Back
Top Bottom