Dmnit, I spotted an old car!

You could get the MGB GT for a few years with the aluminium 215 CI V8 3.5L Buick engine that GM sold to Rover/BL which made it really fun! One could swap one of those out of a Land Rover as they were used in those until not too many years ago and they were 3.9L in the end.

They also put that in Rover 4D sedans as an option in in the 60's into the 80's and the rare Triumph TR8.

An aluminium GM LS engine might be another option, but it may add 75-90 lbs.

Last edited:
if you need to find import sports parts and stuff, look up vintage exotics in tucson. the owner/founder is a good friend and he acquires piles of stuff all the time - warehoused sized!

I really liked my B's, they were fun cars. Did you know that two fit in a parking space? a friend had one also and we would take our girlfriends to the beach on Sunday mornings, At 12:00 stores were allowed to sell beer, So We'd leave in one car (leaving our girlfriends at the beach) and make a beer/food run. By the time We'd get back all the spaces would be taken and cars would be circling looking for non existent spots. We would move one car over and pull the other in next to it with both cars still in the lines.
Spotted this Alfa a couple weeks ago at Pacific Raceways
DSCF3138.jpg
That's a great memory! And a great shot of that Giulia working the cones.

May not be rusty if not exposed to salt and garage kept. Have to check it carefully with a magnet (body putty) and screwdriver to pock at any suspect areas under carpet and chassis.
If you're serious, invest in a SpotRot and a thickness gauge. Don't start hacking at the car with a screwdriver -- you'd be surprised at how many sellers resent this.

Trust me. For $2K, it's got rust.

I would look for something from the early sixties that is rust free....

Cars were more simplistic then and easy to work on. I once found a Lotus Cortina that lost its engine to an older Lotus sports car. Put a Mercury Capri 2.8 V-6 and the 4-speed into it and sold it a month later....

There has never been a better time to have access to British car parts than now.

Britishcarforum.com is your friend, if you are so inclined.

I had a '67 Sunbeam Alpine in '77 for a few years, and a different '67 Alpine starting in 2000 through present. If you play your cards right, it's easy to own and maintain one. Those cards are: AAA Gold and Visa. Plus our friend the internet helps a lot, too.

It may have mechanical issues or both , but worth checking out as you never know, and it's a car (MGB Convert.) that came out in 62 with 50's style engine though it gained 5 main bearings in 65. You can't get any simpler to work on and parts are affordable. Used to be really cheap direct from the UK, but one would have to factor in shipping costs now days.

One has to be able to fix things himself or be willing to learn as otherwise labour costs might be pretty high.

$2 grand doesn't indicate rust as much as it's an MG...

Here's the thing with Nextdoor, it's not CL, it's not the bay. The golden age of ND is over but there are deals to be had.

The tone and look of this posting was this; a friend left this in our old unused detached garage long ago. Doesn't run, please take it away.

Original plates, thick layer of dust. Got my juices flowing.

Since there's lots of Euro 60s talk with some memory lane.

From infancy in mid 70s to 1986 I was driven around by mom in a 1968 white Saab 96 Deluxe. V4 with four on the column. I still can still smell it (good way) and see those cool colored glass indicators and the awesome VDO gauges. Airplane seat belts too! In 1986 she bought her first new car, a Ford Taurus wagon but wait...Red manual 5 speed. The Saab went to my sister until our neighbor drove into it for the second time and totaled it. Sadly I never got to drive the 96. Because if I did...It'd be scraping my driveway today sitting on Minilites and sporting Euro fog lamps.

If not cream but white and minus the front lamps, this would be the car I grew up in.

saab_96_1920x1080.jpg

Not that I want to be an enabler, but...Rock Auto has a lot of parts for the MGs. Maybe not the obscure stuff (body panels, interior parts, etc.), but it can save a lot of grief for the mechanicals. Don't know the year or model, but...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mg,1970

No affiliation of course...just a frequent flier and collector of refrigerator magnets. :D

I do want to be an enabler. Moss Motors.

Everything I have ever seen from them is crap:rant:

Sorry Chip,just my experience,and that of everyone I know who has ever ordered from them. Great catalog and site,unfortunately not reflected in reality.

Should you decide to buy the car, and get involved with the British Car community, you won't regret it! Damn fine folks, regardless of marque...

Everything I have ever seen from them is crap:rant:

Sorry Chip,just my experience,and that of everyone I know who has ever ordered from them. Great catalog and site,unfortunately not reflected in reality.

No worries here. They don't carry Sunbeam parts, so I've never used them.

Back
Top Bottom