Dmnit, I spotted an old car!

No worries here. They don't carry Sunbeam parts, so I've never used them.

One of my greatest regrets is that I once let a Sunbeam Tiger slip through my fingers.It was in my own town,totally complete,and was going for nothing.That was in my drinking days,when everything was put off till tomorrow:(

When I had my MG-BGT, my friend had a GT6 - we could race each other around the twisty roads in WV
when we'd go to Summit Point and watch the SCCA races there ...
After I sold the BTG, I wound up with a '63 Alfa Giulia
(due to an under the hood fire, it came with no engine, so I'd swapped a 67 duetteo engine in w/5sp and dual webers)
Anyway, we swapped cars one weekend for grins, so he could enjoy the ALFA - and I could enjoy the GT6 ...

As I I was driving the GT6 - I couldn't figure why the car would steer right or left as I went on and off the gas. Odd!
Finally had a good look and found there was a bulkhead behind the driver's seat that had rotted and separated from the floor.
There was a suspension point on that bulkhead tied to a trailing arm to the left axle or some such, As I gave it gas,
the bulkhead was moving back and forth - so the axle was steering it left or right in the process!
God's mercy was all that kept the seat from tilting down onto the road - Scared holy hell out of me -
I parked it then and there and let him enjoy the Giulia ...

He later bought a Spitfire with the intention of swapping the spitfire body onto his GT-6 chassis and drivetrain - he wanted a real sleeper ...

I raced there a couple times early/mid 70s. WERA.

Enduro on a Kaw 900 punched out to almost 1200. Lots of fun!

No, I scratched that itch years ago - bought a '68 Triumph TR250:

35541429126_c800d42c9b_b.jpg

That one's from the web but it has the correct surrey roof and alloys to match what mine will be when I get finished with the body off frame restoration I embarked on about 28 years ago.

John

I like the front shot. Paint color and angle give the GT an Aston DB5 look.

You want I should inquire? Might still be available. Bay Area is only a quick drive up the coast.

Last edited:
I might know your neighbor..

If you're trying to avoid the old car bug, stay away from Alfas. Always Looking For Another..

bs

My dad has the MG-C which was basically a B with a proper engine (the straight six from the Austin Healy 3000 I think).

That thing went well and sounded nice. Of course the B V8 variant was the 'ultimate' I suppose but that inline six sure sounded good.

An interesting engine swap would be something like a Skyline type unit. Tasty.

FYI, at last weekends truck show in carlisle I was setting out my auto literature (repair books, original advertising etc) and in there was about a 3-4 page advertising from B/L on the mg - midget, B and GT - dated 1973. Kinda cool.

I have to recover it from my trailer next weekend as I offload, I am of the mindset to gift it to a deserving person who asks...

(also found the 1973 olds trailer towing guide of which it has to be the last one in existence...might send that to my olds 'club')

MG- Many Garages (you'll visit) British Leyland- aka British Lorry (the Tow Lorry you will see lots of and often, own anything B/L the drivers know you by first name). Fun when you get to actually drive it. And there's lots of B/L variations on a theme of common unreliability. Keep an extra jar of Lucas official magic smoke replacement on hand (actually you need at least one dozen)

Some questions to consider before you commit:

No mention as to being a keeper or flip?

Time this Brit spent in the garage not going?

No mention of rust seen or bubbles of?

A decent rebuild or cosmetic touch up?

$ needed to safety it if needed?

Mention of either black/white exhaust smoke, or none?

Why owner is selling?

How well you know the seller?

How much mechanical/body work has to be farmed out....your skill level?

Sales of same car out there in today's market?

Miles showing on the unit?

Some good points made already. Pay heed to them!

Q

Last edited:
May not be rusty if not exposed to salt and garage kept. Have to check it carefully with a magnet (body putty) and screwdriver to pock at any suspect areas under carpet and chassis.

Depends too if that garage floor is just dirty or dirt. If dirt I would tread very carefully.

That barn find looks promising. Anyone know anything about this version with a V8?
Yeah, IIRC it used the Olds 215 aluminum V-8 and was produced 1973-6(?). Interestingly, the V-8 actually weighed 30 lb. less than the MG's regular iron four cylinder.

Yeah, IIRC it used the Olds 215 aluminum V-8 and was produced 1973-6(?)
Thanks, that's very interesting and I've gone online to read a bit about more this history. The early B and CGT's certainly are very attractive hatchbacks.

MGB and CGT.jpg

I had the British Car itch in the 1980s when I lived in Austin, TX. I noticed that there were many buried in garages because their owners didn't get around to keeping them running. I bought a new Honda CRX instead, and I'm glad I did!

Back
Top Bottom