Do AUX cables matter?

Hmm....I see silver wire in mine, all bent exactly at the same angle and at precisely the same length. And I heard differences in some cables when they were attached to this (because instead of thinking about it, I tried it. That's always more conclusive to me than thinking about something).

IMG_2309.jpg

Looks nice anyway..:yes:

Over here for line-level use I typically recommend the Cordial CFU-CC series. These are available in several lengths and reasonably priced (e.g. 1.5 m = ~ 8 Euro); the cable material is pretty good and the RCA connectors are the decent Neutrik/REAN NYS373s. Connections are soldered, not just crimped - and although the strain reliefs are molded, the plugs can be nevertheless be opened up again in case there should ever be a need for repair. For phono use: Capacity is ca. 100 pF/m - not particularly low, but still pretty ok.

I also use these CFU-CCs myself, whenever I'm too lazy to solder my own interconnects (usually also with the NYS373 plugs and various types of MIL C-17 spec'ed RG series coax cables (e.g. RG223/U)).

So, yes, I also think most of those boutique cables are rather overpriced, 'cause decent quality can already be found for pretty low prices.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I've opined the rule of thumb to be about 15 % of your stereo budget should be spent on cables.

For me, there is a lot more to it than just sound quality. i.e. how do they look, will they lay flat without kinks on the ground and coil up nicely. Will the jacket last a long time without becoming stiff and cracking, etc. The sound quality almost doesn't matter so long as you have a solid connection, and it isn't so massive that it screws up the reactance of the signal path...

Some people will say, there is always something you can do besides buying new cables to improve your sound i.e. move speakers, acoustic treatments, etc. and this will be a better use of your $$$. But if you want an expensive cable just buy it and be happy. Don't worry about the improvements in sound so much, just enjoy the cable. because that's all that really matters at this point, wants. 'Cause all you need to make music is a set of toys-r-us bongos and/or a junky old guitar. Heh, I drum on my abs belly and chest sometimes.

The only real justification for one of those expensive cables is, IMO, you've followed the 15% rule and the rest of the equipment and room is that nice. That's another one of those qualitative qualifications, there. Nice. Not good sounding, or well built, or expensive (because budget is relative whether you are a homeless bum or billionaire). Nice.

i just find a decent sounding affordable wire and dont worry about percentages. a hundred is just about the limit for an interconnect and speaker wire shouldnt cost more than audioquest type 4 or thereabouts. but then if you WANT something more, indulge yourself.

Back
Top Bottom