Do circuit breakers go bad? Or do I have a bigger problem.

I have some older RtR speakers with breakers. I thought they crapped out on me because they wouldn't reset. I inadvertently had one slip off the tip of my fingernail while trying to reset it so that the plunger sprung up quite rapidly. I'll be darned if it didn't jump back to life. That's how I have to reset them now. Ain't sayin' that's your issue, but it didn't cost me nothin' to get there.

DD

Jerry is absolutely right when tying a positive red lead to the black together. You will see a dead short and if connected to your amp you will blow at the very least if it's fused a fuse or a whole channel. You have get to the terminals off the speakers only to see if you get a close on them. Better than a continuity tester that just beeps for a short is to use a multi meter set on the ohms setting and then apply the prongs or alligator clips and see what ohms reading you get. If it's between 4-8 ohms generally your ok if infinite then the coil is blown.Yes another name for the speaker is a driver compared to woofer then mid woofer and then for tweeters for your highs. My main complaint here is not that you don't know electronics not many do but whether or not these particular speakers are worth the effort to even re foam them.Even knowing they were for free late Fisher gear was horrible. (not trying to insult here just saying)

My main complaint here is not that you don't know electronics not many do but whether or not these particular speakers are worth the effort to even re foam them.Even knowing they were for free late Fisher gear was horrible. (not trying to insult here just saying)

I'm not insulted,,,lol. I know these fishers are not the best. I asked in another thread if they were worth fixing. So for $22 I think they are.

If they don't sound good I can sell them and get something different.

I am amazed at what ends and complications this thread has gone through. Those little red breakers fail all the time. Simply jumpering one side to the other would have solved the issue for the most part. The speakers will not have protection, but, think about, How many speakers that you have owned over the years have had fuse or breaker protection? Not very many. Jumper the wire from either side of the breaker and be done with it.

I am amazed at what ends and complications this thread has gone through. Those little red breakers fail all the time. Simply jumpering one side to the other would have solved the issue for the most part. The speakers will not have protection, but, think about, How many speakers that you have owned over the years have had fuse or breaker protection? Not very many. Jumper the wire from either side of the breaker and be done with it.

LOL... I all ready did. Just waiting on the foam to get here.

BTW. I'm sure I won't have to worry about over powering anything with my little amp.

I didn't mean anything derogatory towards your electronic or troubleshooting skills at all. Get rid of them or jump them as you did already should have been suggested early in the thread. Best of luck with your new project, you can't burn the house down with it, ha- ha.

Back
Top Bottom