Do I store my generator with the carb bowl and tank drained?

restorer-john

Addicted Member
Had a power cut in some wild storms and used my generator to run the fridges and fans. Did a great job, but it's unlikely I'll need for another few years (last time I used it was 3 years prior).

Should I drain all the petrol from the tank and the carb float bowl? I've read that some people leave the fuel in and start it every few months instead. I know ULP makes a mess in some of my garden tool carbies if I leave it too long- it glazes up.

I found this in another thread:
#2 Run your generator every couple of months for a 5-10 minute
period to cycle gas and oil. Or empty the generator tank of gas
after use if storing for long period of time. Remember, sta-bil is your friend.

It's awkward to drain all the fuel as I have to disconnect the fuel line and lift up the generator on an angle to get all the fuel out and not have it splash all over the unit. It weighs about 42kg.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Unless you want to rebuild the carburetor in three years (or when you need it next) drain it. Prior to long-term storage, I normally run my gas powered tools out of gas, then drain the tanks and fuel systems completely. If it was just going to be 3 or 4 months or so, there is a product called Stabil you could use. Otherwise, drain - completely.

Best to just turn it off with fuel throughout the system. Put stabilizer in the fuel so it will last longer and you should check it out every year at least before winter.

The problem with draining the system is things dry out and gum up. The carb gaskets will all start to leak, and the jets will clog with the little fuel left in the orifice. Sometimes a little Marvel Mystery oil in the gas can help.

Especially with newer motors with much smaller carb passages due to govmint meddling in the interest of pollution ... some of those will clog up just looking at em.

Stabil or equivalent in every can of gas you get - right away or you'll forget it. I also HIGHLY recommend you start any such motor every couple months when in storage. Save a lot of grief that way.

I have never done anything special to my equipment over the years.
Knock on wood so far so good, just leaving fuel topped off and sit till the next time needed.
Have more problems with batteries then fuel when next in need.
Now chain saws will be good n dry in between use, but new fuel and a few tugs and all is good again.

Then again I use high octane, premium fuel to begin with.......

I use high octane and start everything monthly with a fresh splash of fuel mixed in on occasion. If I could find non-ethanol somewhere, that would be even better. The two strokes get canned, stabilized fuel during the off season.

Non ethanol fuel and stabilizer . Double treatment . Stuff will dry out if you leave them empty .

If the generator has brushes, best to spin it up every now and then to keep the armature from corroding.

Shut off fuel, run it til it dies.
Empty tank, leave lid off for a few days to evaporate any extra fuel or condensation. (As long as it's not raining.)

Plastic tank or steel? If steel it will rust inside if left empty.

Steel tank. I had heard they rust if empty...

Sometimes a little Marvel Mystery oil in the gas can help.

What about something like that sprayed inside the empty steel fuel tank?

Shut off fuel, run it til it dies.

That's what I did, until I had a look in the carby float bulb/tank/cap, even after running it until it stopped, there was still plenty of fuel in there (the float had dropped and shut off the needle valve I guess). It has two bolts, one for securing the bowl and another clearly for draining it. It's a Japanese carburetor. So I think I'll drain it completely.

IMG_2703 (Small).jpeg

Empty tank, leave lid off for a few days to evaporate any extra fuel or condensation.

I can do that. I was just concerned about seals drying out, cracking etc.

Stuff will dry out if you leave them empty .

As it's a generator you use only in an emergency situation, I wanted to give it the best chance of starting up without needing work if you know what I mean. Power always goes off in late afternoon/evening storms and it's no fun working on a carby in the dark...

I never buy ethanol fuel, just normal unleaded. If premium is better for corrosion, maybe I should that? The motor is a 6.5HP four stroke and a 2.5KVA (3KVA pk) continuous generator, so not a big one, but more than enough to run our fridges as they are both inverter powered and don't need the big high current kick for the compressors- they ramp up slowly.

Thanks guys. :)

Last edited:
We keep diesel fuel in them year around. Got 5 similar to these. Enough to run the entire plant if needed.
pl15725930-ce_approved_1mw_natural_gas_generator_power_plant_with_lcd_display.jpg

Last edited:
Convert to liquid natural gas or propane. Then you donot have to worry about varnishing. Just make sure that you have some lube in the cylinders to inhibit corrosion ( a bit of 2-cycle oil would do it.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I put Stabil in my gas cans and think it really is the key factor. For my generator, I just put a half gallon or so of fuel in the tank a couple times a year and run it till it goes dry. In the fall, I change the oil. So far so good.

As it's a generator you use only in an emergency situation, I wanted to give it the best chance of starting up without needing work if you know what I mean.
That means starting it up and letting it run for 5-10 minutes every few months. My Dad has a whole house generator that runs off propane and it starts up automatically evey month for just that reason.

i have a portable generator wired to a transfer box. I use stabil, techron, and run the generator every three or four months. I shut the fuel off and let the engine stall. I've had this generator for over six years now. It always starts, no trouble.

Back
Top Bottom