Do I Want a pair of RS-IIs?

How would you guys recommend I care for the RS-II cabinets? Is it beneficial to rub lemon oil on them? That's about all I have. It's actually lemon oil with beeswax, meant to care for antique furniture and such.

-Jon

The lemon oil will work fine. Howards Feed n wax works great and is popular for the oak Infinity cabinets. Howards Restor a Finish can be used if the finish is all bleached out like mine were from being in a sunny lv for 30 years. You just rub it on and it blends in the lighter spots.
Jim

Hi, thanks for your replies. The rsiis are already junked and dissembled. The ebayer that's selling only has the mid/high sections, no woofer boxes, and a bunch of individual components. They are history. But the components are ok. My question was about the load presented to the amp when using the existing crossovers without the woofers attached. Im not sure how the impedance will react, or, if I am damaging the amp in the process. Ah well..any input is appreciated...

If you search around this forum there is at least one xo rebuild where the poster split the xo for biamping. That thread may have some answers for you. If I weren't so lazy I'd try and find it for you...
Jim

I have an RSII rebuild thread around here somewhere. I would question that top woofer. They should be the exact same woofer top and bottom. They are nice speakers. Amazing bass!

Here's some pics. Don't mind the Peavey speaker in the middle. It's my center channel. Strange as it seems, it actually works really well. It's a complicated setup, but basically, all but the RS-IIs are connected to my Integra AVR for HT duty. The RS-IIs are connected to my c-j PV-2AR and Crest v450. There's an RCA cable running from the Integra's channel outs to the c-j's tape 2 in.

When I'm using the AVR, I just set the c-j to Tape 2, and put the volume at noon, and control everything with the avr's remote. For 2-channel, I obviously go back to the c-j directly. Sounds odd, but it works.

-Jon

Attachments

• RS-II Both.jpg
    RS-II Both.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 37
  • RS-II Right.jpg
    RS-II Right.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 29
Here's some pics. Don't mind the Peavey speaker in the middle. It's my center channel. Strange as it seems, it actually works really well. It's a complicated setup, but basically, all but the RS-IIs are connected to my Integra AVR for HT duty. The RS-IIs are connected to my c-j PV-2AR and Crest v450. There's an RCA cable running from the Integra's channel outs to the c-j's tape 2 in.

When I'm using the AVR, I just set the c-j to Tape 2, and put the volume at noon, and control everything with the avr's remote. For 2-channel, I obviously go back to the c-j directly. Sounds odd, but it works.

-Jon

What's odd??? The only thing that's odd is that when I click on your second "sideways" photo, it shows the infinity speaker standing up!

^^^What else is in your bag of tricks? I see an Mac computer and a real cool looking radio with carry handle...

That radio is pretty cool. I picked it up at the Kutztown Radio Show auction for around $40. It's been recapped and works great. 1941 Philco. And yes, that handle and wild white trim is original!

The Mac is an old Mac Pro dual G5. I use it mainly for digitizing vinyl and reel to reel. I use a Pioneer CD-Recorder as an ADC, then run an optical line from the CD-R to the Mac, and record with Audacity. Works out well.

Hiding on the TV stand behind the right speaker are two Zeniths- a CED player and sideways loading VCR. Both work and are connected. Gotta love old school.

That radio is pretty cool. I picked it up at the Kutztown Radio Show auction for around $40. It's been recapped and works great. 1941 Philco. And yes, that handle and wild white trim is original!

The Mac is an old Mac Pro dual G5. I use it mainly for digitizing vinyl and reel to reel. I use a Pioneer CD-Recorder as an ADC, then run an optical line from the CD-R to the Mac, and record with Audacity. Works out well.

Hiding on the TV stand behind the right speaker are two Zeniths- a CED player and sideways loading VCR. Both work and are connected. Gotta love old school.

Not to hijack the thread, but I (we?) would love to see some pics.

-Jon

That's exactly how I have my 4.3 system setup. You get the benefits of a purist two channel signal path with multichannel fun when you need it. The speakes look great, and I can see how a compression driver /horn speaker would work for a center channel. The Infinities look awesome!

from one of your pics i can see someone refoamed a woofer and didn't use the original bullet dust cap ...I may have some laying around if you're interested ...

Hey Bkphoto,

Thanks for the dustcap offer. However, in this case, it's actually a whole different woofer. Both bottom woofers are the Infinity replacements for the original bullet ones. It's an entirely different woofer- shallower cone shape, different magnet, etc. However, they're supposed to be interchangeable.

-Jon

Rsii

Hi Again, Slimp's suggestion for the Howards restore-a-finish, along with Howards Feed and Wax as step 2 is a great suggestion. I have used these products on my rs-ii and the project (about half an hour) worked stupendously. On the other note about the woofers, two of mine were replaced as well. the dust caps look different, but all four woofers are stamped 902-2279A on the magnets. There were different production runs during the after years. However, all my woofers do appear to have the same physical dimension to them, and the magnets also appear to be identical. .... On my third and final note, I have been in touch with the ebayer parting out the speakers, apparently the cabinets are a non issue. they are, either, not available or not all there. Sounds to me like they were damaged. All the drivers are being sold separately. I questioned him about this as the woofers looked like they were selling as a lot. The price listed is for individual drivers. And, yes, he has two working crossovers... not sure if they are listed yet, but he quoted me $75 for one.

Speaking of crossovers, should I be worried about mine? I'm kind of afraid of these things, as I'm told they're incredibly complicated. Should they be recapped at this age?

By request, some more pics.

Got the lamp at a strange tailgate auction for $35 and cleaned it up. Mid-century awesome. The radio works great.

Also, a pic of the RS-IIs all wrapped up on their way to my place.

Attachments

• Radio 1 Resized.jpg
    Radio 1 Resized.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 35
  • Radio 2 Resized.jpg
    Radio 2 Resized.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Transport.jpg
    Transport.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 38
Well, well, well, guess who just put in a deposit and is going to drive a few hundred miles on Saturday and pick-up a pair of RS-II's :banana:

I drove about 150 miles to pick up a pair of RS II's a couple weeks ago.
They are magnificent!
More pleasing to listen to than the RS IIIa's...to my ears.
Recently recapped the RS IIIa's with Solen caps too...big improvement.
Enjoy the RS II's!!

Jackpot!! I picked up mine near Toronto last night (10 hours on the road) and the speakers were in amazing, pristine shape. The seller was the first and only owner and had treated them very well. These look like new. I bought these w/o hearing and/or seeing them (besides a few low res photos), and got really lucky. These were posted on local Kijijji, and then in Canuckaudiomart.

Sonically RS-II are clearly in different league that my RS-IIIa. My first impression is 'airy'. The sound is everywhere in the room, while very accurate, you can almost like literally feel the music, particularly the mids and highs. One feels like the artists are in the room with you. The open midrange drivers and back firing extra tweeter work (full dipole) exactly as I expected. I am very happy :)

And, the owner had some original material from the time of purchase. In particular he had a multi-page lab test article from some 'Buyers Guide' publication, that included full measurements (including sensitivity, full response and impedance curves) and detailed review of the speakers (RS-IIs beat their reference system :) ). I have not seen this review before anywhere, so I will scan it and post it here soon.

Back
Top Bottom