Do I want a subwoofer

mattd008

I have never had a subwoofer and I'm thinking about getting one. I just recently bought a pair of baby advent IIs and I would like a little more bass. Before I post a bartertown looking to buy ad, I would like some advice on what to look for in a subwoofer and if it is even something that one should use if they don't really play their music all that loud.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have never had a subwoofer and I'm thinking about getting one. I just recently bought a pair of baby advent IIs and I would like a little more bass. Before I post a bartertown looking to buy ad, I would like some advice on what to look for in a subwoofer and if it is even something that one should use if they don't really play their music all that loud.

Bass is bass regardless of the volume level of the music. It's either there or it's not. With Baby Advents it's not. :( A subwoofer can definitely put the bass there but keep in mind that you don't need to crank the bass knob or the volume knob all the way. It's not about showing the whole neighborhood what you got. :no:

A good sub is part of my mix..I have a pretty good system and some good speakers(JM Labs Alcor) when the sub is dialed in it's sublime..when I turn the sub off..everyone looks at with a "what happened" look. Once you integrate a sub properly you will have trouble going back.
I use a JL E110 sub, sealed..I think sealed subs have better focus and quicker..ported might go a bit deeper, and subjectively looser.

Matt I'm with you. i an too thinking of adding a sub to my bookshelf system. Currently running Boston VR-M50's which sound great but they are small and bass repo is still limited. I have a Nice sub up in the surround sound i am thinking on bringing it down to see if I like it. Could get you a report in the next day or so.

A good sub is part of my mix..I have a pretty good system and some good speakers(JM Labs Alcor) when the sub is dialed in it's sublime..when I turn the sub off..everyone looks at with a "what happened" look. Once you integrate a sub properly you will have trouble going back.
I use a JL E110 sub, sealed..I think sealed subs have better focus and quicker..ported might go a bit deeper, and subjectively looser.
interesting points.

I'd agree with your statement about being more focused bass. The vented will give you the normal boom but my last powered sub was vented so it got the dampening treatment. I like the sound of tighter bass and a vented enclosure usually doesn't have that overall sound.

The other thing to pay attention to is where you place it. It's a dark art when placing speakers/subs in correspondence with the room dimensions. They have relatively affordable routes nowadays for the proper placements.

Look that up as well as your myriad of sub options. The floor is the limit.

I never quiete managed to integrate my sub to the stereo system, it's ok for home theatre duties, but for stereo even though not booming, music looses its time, details get blurred, and bass becomes less punchy.
I think for serious listening you need an active dsp to integrate the sub.

Last edited:

You want a sealed sub.

Here's my advice. What is upstream from the baby ii's? If you are running a AVR w/adj. cross over, just about any sub will work. If you are running a standard two channel rig, I would recommend a Passive subwoofer due their use of internal cross over. It is easy to over drive the woofer, so it is a good idea to take the low end out of the 6.5 driver in the baby ii's.

I you run across an active sub that has a true internal crossover, great.

I am running my Baby II's nearfield, powered by a 75w per Denon DRA-755, w/ a Phase Tech PC 50 passive, acoustic suspension, 10" subwoofer. IIRC, it crosses at 150hz.

If given the option, I would set the cross 100-150hz.

Hope this helps.

a subwoofer will increase your systems fidelity in 3 ways

1) Cleaner mids. by employing an xover on your main , the driver doing the low frequency heavy lifting will now have much less excursion and strain reproducing the high energy low notes. resulting in a much cleaner midrange in a 2 way system and cleaner midbass in a 3 way.

2) More headroom out of your amp. As the frequency you play decreases it increases in power logarithmically. Especially if you like bass heavy music below 35hz the amount of power required to reproduce these is substantial. You will offset this energy to the sub amp giving back substantial current to your mains power amp

3) Increase in frequency bandwidth. By adding the subwoofer your system will go deeper and your in room response will be more linear with less steep rolloff.

Most aren't a fan of subwoofers because of bad experiences with install and lack of system cohesion or lack of room correction DSP and room treatments. Bass is the hardest to tame bar none, you just have to work at it.

100hz is a good trade off with bookshelves by making integration easier at a lower, less directional frequency, and taking enough load off the bookshelves to get that sonic benefit.

Ported enclosures are all about the tuning and design, in theory they are just as capable but there's a certain magic to sealed enclosures.

I have 2x 18" that take 2kw each and extend to 10hz, all DIY in massive sealed enclosures.

I highly recommend picking up Dayton HO series 12, 15, 18 and making your own enclosure. Stereo integrity also has a 18" for under $200 that makes a great project, it needs real estate though.

It's not about showing the whole neighborhood what you got. :no:
That's what we all say to ourselves, but get a box of wine in your belly, and the Tim Allen gorilla grunts start.
To our civilized side, they provide the "ambience" of a concert hall, but to the kid lurking under the surface, they're the audio equivalent of giant tires on a 4 X 4. Peruse the pages of AK for a few minutes and it will be hard NOT to find some underhanded bragging about showing the neighbors, or at least the rest of the house, what you got.
That being said, I'm in the midst dialing in a pair of subwoofers for a pair of bookshelf speakers that sit on top of them. Blending them with the "satellites" can be difficult. They're still at that "annoying foreign entity in the system" point - I think that the volume level is still a bit high (adjusted in the HT receiver). Phase is not an issue due to their placement and the crossover point could probably stand to be lowered a bit.
I would second @F1nut 's sentiment about a sealed subwoofer, with the additional recommendation of crossover, volume and variable phase (not just the 180 degree switch) controls. If @mattd008 is going to put that sub in another part of the room, he's going to need all of the tweaking abilities he can get.

IMG_1456.JPG

Bass is bass regardless of the volume level of the music. It's either there or it's not. With Baby Advents it's not. :( A subwoofer can definitely put the bass there but keep in mind that you don't need to crank the bass knob or the volume knob all the way. It's not about showing the whole neighborhood what you got. :no:

Yes and it really depends on what era you are listening to as well. If your tastes are pre-85 artists a decent set of big bookshelf or tower speakers will pretty much cover it.

Once synthesized bass entered the picture in everything though a powered subwoofer is far better at augmenting the bottom end of your main speakers.

Just remember, a subwoofer tends to sound best if you notice it when you turn if off and not while it is playing.

Ported vs sealed is a preference, and there are experts on both sides. I have subs that are ported and those that are not, and am happy with my application of each design.

Much good info above, if you can hear it then you have not integrated it properly. I have had musical subwoofers on and off since my first M&K system in 1979. Some times it just doesn't work, you need to have the right pairing and setup.

At low volume in my office system I have it a little hot, it warms up the music and adds depth. This is just an active with the main speakers running full-range. In my main system I have everything carefully placed and EQed to produce a flat response for more critical listening (which is usually much higher volume). I have this low-passed and the mains high-passed to avoid compounding the LF. The sub is evident in my office system as it is in my HT system, in my main system people often are surprised that it is on until I turn it off.

i would suggest a Pioneer SW-8mk2. I was looking for a sealed sub,but couldn"t find an affordable one that I liked. I picked up the Pioneer for $50 ,2yrs ago, and haven't had the urge to upgrade.It is a very musical sub,and not overwhelming.I was, and still am pleasantly surprised.

To me, at least with the music I like, the bass line and kick drum are fundamentals..the core of it, I want to feel it to some degree. Doesn't have to be overpowering either, just a matter of dialing in the crossover point.
One could not have stated such so concisely. The best woodwind, string, brass, and keyboard instrumentalists on the planet tend to be supported by a solid bedrock of mid-to-lower bass frequencies unless a performer from the aforementioned instrument families is perfoming a solo. The presence of a taut "lake" of bass in my listening space can make even the worst album sound half-way decent and the great ones ethereal. I have three 12" subs "dialed in" at 60 Hz and simply can't get enough of just about each and every album I play - every day. As you stated in the comment prior to the one I'm replying to: "...when the sub is dialed in it's sublime..when I turn the sub off..everyone looks at with a "what happened" look. Once you inegrate a sub properly you will have trouble going back." (emphasis per KDAC). That is an undeniable truth.

To mattdoo8: Get yourself at least a 12" sub, sealed or ported, housing a few hundred watt amp and "play around" with its placement in your listening space and its crossover frequency in relation to where bass is no longer audible to your ears at your typical listening volume from your main speakers (i.e. where bass sonically "rolls off" or is no long perceptible from your main speakers). That's the frequency at which you'll want your sub(s) to "come in." The experience of a well-integrated sub (or subs if you plan to use two or more...) adds a dimension of full-bodied presence - whether via timpani strikes in classical, upright bass runs in jazz, blast beats in metal, concrete-cracking "drops" in rap/hip-hop, cartilage-vibrating kicks in rock, eardrum-rattling lows in dub/reggae/dancehall, full-bodied, rubbery bass guitar in funk/rock/jazz... you get the visceral impact of feeling the music, in many cases without having to pump the volume to deafening levels either. I'm no "expert," but I know that very few loudspeakers, bookshelf or floorstanding, produce the deep, impactful bass primarily between 20 and 35 Hz with the same authority as a decent powered subwoofer(s) at normal listening volumes, which I'd guess are between 60 and 90 decibels based on several threads regarding such on AK and elsewhere. If you find that a sub(s) don't work for you, you obviously can return it/them to the originating retailer or simply sell them. My best guess is that you'll experiment with one or a few, cross them over in your system to suit your taste, fall in love with sounds that were already there but simply not heard, and never look back. Best of luck on your search and let us know when your reach the audio nirvana mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom