Do more sensitive speakers sound more dynamic?

Tried to think of a company that's been producing "very controversial products" for over 80 years but none come to mind.

Tried to think of a company that's been producing "very controversial products" for over 80 years but none come to mind.

Lowther should come to mind. To deny Lowthers are controversial flies in the face of reality. What, are you asserting audiophiles are of a common opinion about them? In my experience audiophiles are very divided on them, and with strong opinions to boot. Lots of love them or hate them. Much strong disagreement.

Bose has been mentioned, there's a very successful product that's controversial, at least among audiophiles. Klipsch is another; many audiophiles think they're great and many think they're terrible--not just OK or mediocre but unlistenable. I've met many audiophiles who think horns in general are unlistenable. I disagree. That is controversy--a discussion marked by opposing views.

Last edited:
If there's controversy I suspect it would come from non owners. The company slogan is "Lowthers For Life" which means that much of their business is predicated on repeat

customers. I've learned over the years that it takes time to adjust to any speaker. A few minutes spent listening in a badly set up room at an audio show hardly qualifies.

I've seen shout listed as a problem but with the intro of the rolled edge whizzers years ago that's not an issue. But the myth I suppose lives on.

There's only one US company that sells Lowther drivers plus most buyers have to come up with their own enclosure so the opportunity to hear a pair is extremely limited. There may be

others but I only know of one AK member ( MJK ) who has a pair. Nelson Pass loves them in his open baffles. I wonder if he would characterize the sound from his as "very

controversial"?

Last edited:
Well JBL 4311s are only 90 dB / w / m, but they sound dynamic despite their sensitivity (or lack thereof). So is sensitivity the only factor to determine how dynamic a speaker is?

So is sensitivity the only factor to determine how dynamic a speaker is?

No. There must be an ability to hit dynamic peaks without strain, to get loud gracefully. This ability is not necessarily achieved by high sensitivity alone and some low sensitivity speakers have the ability and some high sensitivity speakers don't.

No. There must be an ability to hit dynamic peaks without strain, to get loud gracefully. This ability is not necessarily achieved by high sensitivity alone and some low sensitivity speakers have the ability and some high sensitivity speakers don't.
I see. So powerful magnet combined with very thin cone doesn't guarantee good dynamics. In fact, heavy aquaplas woofer with high current amplifier (high damping factor) could sound more dynamic than light cone/powerful magnet driven by flea watt amplifier.

Am I correct?

Kreshna, keep in mind that you are dealing with two differing systems for dynamic range/headroom, and two different systems for compression. You also want to be playing a system that will produce their best attributes within the sweet spot range of your given amplifier. As one of my rules, a speaker that will give you over 100 dB of dynamic range with one watt is also going to be more effective delivering 120 dB of dynamic range. Your ears will not be very happy if you need most of a 300 watt stereo amplifier to get to that 120 dB of dynamic range, and that 120 dB is going to get more and more compressed the higher you go(with cone speakers), which in turn drives your ears into compression, clipping, and hearing damage.

Due to the pronounced thermal compression that lower sensitivity speakers encounter to a significant degree before they meet the top threshold of their performance range, I have found that high sensitivity speakers that incorporate low distortion engineering design factors to be best for my listening. My ears appreciate the break, as well.

Kreshna, keep in mind that you are dealing with two differing systems for dynamic range/headroom, and two different systems for compression. You also want to be playing a system that will produce their best attributes within the sweet spot range of your given amplifier. As one of my rules, a speaker that will give you over 100 dB of dynamic range with one watt is also going to be more effective delivering 120 dB of dynamic range. Your ears will not be very happy if you need most of a 300 watt stereo amplifier to get to that 120 dB of dynamic range, and that 120 dB is going to get more and more compressed the higher you go(with cone speakers), which in turn drives your ears into compression, clipping, and hearing damage.

Due to the pronounced thermal compression that lower sensitivity speakers encounter to a significant degree before they meet the top threshold of their performance range, I have found that high sensitivity speakers that incorporate low distortion engineering design factors to be best for my listening. My ears appreciate the break, as well.
I see.

Though, I remember reading somewhere that full range single drivers, when driven by flea watt amp, do not sound very dynamic.

Yes, the 'some' part was deliberate. :)

I am yet to hear a really good implementation but remain hopeful and open to the possibility of being 'blown away'.

I see. So it's transient speed that makes loudspeakers sound dynamic, isn't it? Perhaps it's also the reason JBL 4311's sound more dynamic than JBL 120Ti's? Because the former use light paper cone woofers while the latter heavy aquaplas woofers?

The latter pair sound more refined and accurate though, the bass also sounds deeper.

Anyway, aren't Audio Nirvana drivers more sensitive than those of Lowther?

Well JBL 4311s are only 90 dB / w / m, but they sound dynamic despite their sensitivity (or lack thereof). So is sensitivity the only factor to determine how dynamic a speaker is?
I've owned dynamic drivers as well as 4311. The 4311 sound impressive because they have exagerated EQ curves - they don't employ a real crossover network. Bass driver is run wide open, mid and tweeter only have a cap to limit LF. not only are there overlapping frequencies, but those mid and HF drivers are prone to peaks anyway.

TLDR: JBL 4311 are not inneficicient, but that sound is a design flaw

PS the least dynamic speakers I've listened to have been 3" Fostex in folded horns. Neat imaging effect, but 0 dynamic range

Yes, the 'some' part was deliberate. :)

I am yet to hear a really good implementation but remain hopeful and open to the possibility of being 'blown away'.
Yeah, and hopefully by the sound, not the price.

"my soul AND my firstborn?...ummmm:idea:yeah, I'll have to hold off on those for a while
...:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom