Do preamplifiers run "hot"?

msjanket

I am in the infancy stages of working with my "new" GAS Thaedra preamp. Having run it for several hours, it is quite warm to the touch. Is this normal for a preamp? It's not blazing hot, but it's throwing some genuine heat.

Thanks, Mike

Not unusual, for preamps of that era. The Acoustat TMP here also runs kind of "toasty warm". Mostly, it's the power supply... some of those preamps had like, 30 volt rails...

Regards,
Gordon.

While GordonW is correct, some things that can cause excessive heat are dusty parts inside, diodes and potetiometers that are going bad or even a broken fan. While it's probably nothing to be concerned about because even my 4 year old Onkyo pre-amp and my much older Carver C-1 will throw off some heat when operating for a while or at higher performance levels.

Gotta keep in mind that pre-amps have output stages that will generate heat. Especially with pre-amp output voltages above 2V constant like alo of higher end pre-amps have. If it concerns you, you might want to see about give it a bit more breathing room. Honestly though, heat is not an issue. If it was too hot to touch then it would be a problem but warm like you are describing is within expected operation for most old and even some new equipment.

I have a APT "Holman" pre that runs MUCH hotter than the C-1 Jstas is talking about. I used a C-1 for about 12 years and got to know it pretty well. I don't think anything is amiss with the APT, just the nature of the beast. It is from the same time frame as your GAS. I be in love with the APT, and use it regularly as part of my "Half-Ass Two Channel HT Rig."

I don't discount what Jstas says about normally cool running pre's running hot because of either dirt or malfunction.

TA

Back
Top Bottom