DO PREAMPS ENHANCE SOUND QUALITY.

Yes, phono preamp can, they can really enhance a system with some dynamic range. A lot of integrated systems have a poor phono preamp section in my opinion. Absolute best thing I did was to buy a Mani. Look it up on youtube. You won't be disappointed.

Well, in my opinion, it should enhance the phono input with proper RIAA equalization, and it shouldn't degrade the inputs. So, yes, and no.

I was pessimistic before I bought one. Schiit Mani for under $200 has been tested posted on youtube and blew away the competition. Couldn't believe the difference what the preamp made. Schiit Mani, Bugle 3, under $200 for the Mani. There are a few that really make a difference; a lot that won't. I can tell the difference immediately with a decent pair of headphones. Again, absolute best thing I ever did was buy that Mani.

Most line stages I've dealt with degrade the sound in some or many ways, compared to a direct connection bypass parity test from something like a CD player. Thus, I tend to avoid them, with some exceptions.

when i first got my model 9's my 7C pre amp right channel was out so i used both of my phono pre's that have volume control with them EAR 834P and an Icon Audio PS1 mk2, when i got my 7C going again (dirty pot ) i ran the same phono pre's through that and the 9's sounded a whole lot better to me. i wouldnt of thought it would make much difference but it did.

I have managed to avoid a pre in my current system. My Luxman M200 power amp has RCA and Balanced inputs and a level control and Clearaudio Nano Phono stage also has a level control. No need for more inputs so using the less is more philosophy no need for a preamp.

Preamps of better quality have better SN figures, less cross talk, more headroom in the output stage. They also have dead quiet phono stages with accurate RIAA equalization. Each of these things lets the source music come through with as little colorization as possible. You do need a good set of speakers setup well in a good room before you an evaluate any piece of equipment.
Some preamps are very good and others not so good. Some receivers are very good and some are not. Having said that it isn't very expensive to get into a preamp that has S/N ratios above 100db which I think is pretty a pretty good number.

Back
Top Bottom