Do some audiophiles really prefer flat frequency response?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big problem I see with most peoples opinion about "flat" is that it isn't flat unless speakers are "measured" in room.
Yeah I prefer the term neutral to ones own system and space. Once built and left alone the only change is the media as it's played. If one piece of media sounds bad get one that sounds good, it's that simple.

Stepping all over the signal to filter bad is just masking the underlying issue.

Yeah I prefer the term neutral to ones own system and space. Once built and left alone the only change is the media as it's played. If one piece of media sounds bad get one that sounds good, it's that simple.

Stepping all over the signal to filter bad is just masking the underlying issue.
Yeah well, I think you fall into the camp of get a new set of $10,000 speakers or new $30,000 amps if your favorite record doesn't sound perfect in room instead of correcting w/minidsp, eq, or god forbid, bass and treble controls:rolleyes:

I guess I'm just not as picky as some who post here. OTOH since my music of choice is Jazz and classical I'm a lot less subject to the vagaries of poor recordings and mastering.

Have you ever tried contacting an engineer to complain about the recording and/or mastering.
"Um, hello", "You know the dark side of the moon album you engineered", "Think you maybe could make it a little better?"........

haha!!

And to answer the OP's question, I can't recall any musical performance that is flat, every piece of music or concert I have ever been has a wide dynamic range of varying frequency db ranges. The only thing that one can measure flat would be pink noise using a EQ, as when you put on a recording all the frequencies will be constantly varying in intensity. What the OP really means to say is how can someone listen to music that is honest to the recording and not over exaggerated by boasting some areas of the frequency or lowering others.

And to add to that you could use an EQ and a spectrum analyzer broadcasting pink noise and using a parametric analyzer and room corrections get your room flat or at least your listening seat as close to flat as possible, as I doubt you will get the whole room flat. But the minute you put your music on what comes out won't be flat it will simply be as close to what the recording was intended. But all the frequencies will be of varying intensity and levels as it should be.

Yeah well, I think you fall into the camp of get a new set of $10,000 speakers or new $30,000 amps if your favorite record doesn't sound perfect in room instead of correcting w/minidsp, eq, or god forbid, bass and treble controls:rolleyes:
Your thinking is faulty, and your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. How do you go from me actually stating that if one is EQing because of bad media, the logical correcting is to get better media, to me buying a new set of $10,000 speakers or new $30,000 amps to make the correction?

Your thinking is faulty, and your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. How do you go from me actually stating that if one is EQing because of bad media, the logical correcting is to get better media, to me buying a new set of $10,000 speakers or new $30,000 amps to make the correction?

Maybe he knows deep within that really good equipment usually does cost more than a 200 dollar Crosley and a cheap CL receiver and speaker find.

an EQ lover mocking anyone who doesn't prefer an EQ in their system as a "Wooden Ear Dork" which is a new one to me, it's usually an "Audiophile Snob".

Maybe he knows deep within that really good equipment usually does cost more than a 200 dollar Crosley and a cheap CL receiver and speaker find.
Maybe you called it better in your earlier post?
This is generally the cass

A few reasons for a EQ and or tone controls
Bad room and setting the equipment up
Bad equipment
Bad hearing
Bad media
A eq mask the bad in an attempt to make it sound better for the listener.

Correct one or more of the above and one will find out a EQ and tone controls are not needed. As you correct it you'll find yourself using less and less EQ till you get it right.

"Um, hello", "You know the dark side of the moon album you engineered", "Think you maybe could make it a little better?"........

haha!!

Were I an engineer I would never have engineered DSOTM or any other PF recording. I simply don't like them.:eek:

As a listener, I can say I've tried to like DSOTM and other PF recordings. They always remind me of a bunch of mediocre jazz musicians playing in a ratty club on a Monday or Tuesday night. Frankly, I don't understand the adoration PF receives. But then, I don't understand what people see/hear in the Stones. Mick Jagger is IMO the worst most unmusical singer I've ever heard with the possible exception of David Bowie. Let me restate my Bowie comment. Emoting in a monotone doesn't qualify as singing in my book.:yikes:

So, how you like me now?:D

Were I an engineer I would never have engineered DSOTM or any other PF recording. I simply don't like them.:eek:

As a listener, I can say I've tried to like DSOTM and other PF recordings. They always remind me of a bunch of mediocre jazz musicians playing in a ratty club on a Monday or Tuesday night. Frankly, I don't understand the adoration PF receives. But then, I don't understand what people see/hear in the Stones. Mick Jagger is IMO the worst most unmusical singer I've ever heard with the possible exception of David Bowie. Let me restate my Bowie comment. Emoting in a monotone doesn't qualify as singing in my book.:yikes:

So, how you like me now?:D
Hey.............I'm glad I don't listen to the crap you do:rflmao:
At least they are known, your stuff not so much.:no:

Maybe you called it better in your earlier post?
This is generally the cass
And it begins again. A few more posts and you will have your panties in a wad about the "eat the rich" sentiments on this site.

But it always starts with the same crowd and their condescending comments about members and how good sound has to = lots of money spent. Go test your subs with some Avril Levine as you admire your cheezy rocker chick artwork.

Why would you quote me. Reading comprehension? Was I implying eq's should be used for media correction?

And it begins again. A few more posts and you will have your panties in a wad about the "eat the rich" sentiments on this site.

But it always starts with the same crowd and their condescending comments about members and how good sound has to = lots of money spent. Go test your subs with some Avril Levine as you admire your cheezy rocker chick artwork.
Discussion forum... nothing more, nothing less

See here everyone, you need at least a $1500 crosley;).
And if you buy anything from creepslist it had better be = to sleazebay pricing +20%:beerchug:.

BTW Ken, how'd you know what my system consists of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom