Do some audiophiles really prefer flat frequency response?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish my ears and system were good enough that I didn't need tone control, but I'm not that lucky or deserving of such a perfect system.

Personally never use tone controls*, loudness or EQ. Been there, done that, 30 years ago.

All my gear gear right up to the speakers is ruler flat- or it doesn't make the cut. What the various speakers and the room do to that signal is the interesting bit.

I compare way too much gear to have a constantly changing reference with tone controls all over the shop, butchering the waveform.

*they are of course fully tested and plotted when repairing gear. Not all tone controls are equal, some are good, most are pretty hideous.

I've read that some audio purists frown on tone controls and equalization. I've tried to listen to music with a flat response and to me it just sounds awful. Transistor radio-like. It's been proven scientifically that some frequencies are easier heard than others to the human ear. So then why would anyone choose a level graph over something that really sounds good? Especially if you have good equipment that can really make it come to life. I'd love to hear from the purists and anyone with your thoughts on this. .... Sam
It really comes down to what sounds right for you. I rarely use tone control or EQ. However, there is nothing wrong in doing so if the sound your getting is improved to your ears. Don't listen to people that bash you for adjusting the curve to suite your tastes. Different strokes for different folks. I even have two superb EQ's, DBX 14/10's that I'll never sell because they are great. Also, for the nay sayers, look at devices like the Professional Dangerous Music BAX-EQ. The guys mastering the music you listen to are even Sweeting the pie.

I'm close to it. Just a few db's of bottom end a little at the top will do it.

Congratulations. You just described a point on the Fletcher-Munsen curve that is below full loudness. As the SPL decreases, the bass and treble need to be boosted more so than at higher SLs.

400px-Lindos4.svg.png

At normal listening levels (~85 db) I listen flat. At backgound music levels, I boost the bass and treble, or use the loudness control (depending upon the system I am listening with).

Be a fascinating experiment to see how many folk who are perfectly satisfied with their "flat" systems, and then have their room properly voiced, would go back to the way things were ...

Meh, I'm not an audiophile though none of my systems even have EQ. Music either sounds great through your system or it doesn't. Some recordings will be obviously flat and over compressed no matter what you do (some music from the 90's is particularly bad) though I still enjoy it warts and all.

Besides, I rather expect that neither my speakers nor room could give a perfectly flat response without adding EQ to my sound chain. I can't see the point as it sounds fantastic already. Some music I'll dislike no matter how well it's reproduced, others I've grown an appreciation of due to added detail I never knew existed previously on a lesser system. Whatever floats your boat.

Either way, no EQ doesn't mean a system is flat. Flat is only possible with a parametric EQ, measurement mic etc. Even if the system could produce a perfectly flat frequently response the room dictates that EQ is required for it to actually be flat. I suspect I wouldn't be a fan.

I feel very conflicted about this. As a very amateur hobbyist I'd like to have the ability to output a flat response when messing with audio. On the other hand listening to music through my SX-636 with tone controls set to flat is kind of hit and miss. Sometimes hitting the loudness button is all that is needed, sometimes I really need to crank the bass knob near full. Which makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong - or at least is something that can be partially alleviated when I find a really decent pair of speakers I like and get better placement. I rarely find myself having to touch the trebel though, usually if I do its 1 or 2 ticks up.

But I've noticed even when hooked up to my PC, there is a vast difference in the way things sound with music across albums, genres, and then if I load up something like a video game. You have to have some kind of tone control to deal with different situations. Personally I'd like to find a really fancy stereo EQ (both channels at once) with VU meters and stuff.. Would be cool if the VU was analog but yeah. I'd like a nice EQ, maybe something modern with digital controls / preset saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom