Do they sell these ("square head couplers")?

captouch

Addicted Member
I'm looking to buy something like shown in the attached pic.

Basically, one side has a female square head cavity that can attach via set screws to a metal rod.

The other side, has a male square head (that fits in the female side) and can also attach via set screws to another metal rod.

Actually, the set screws are not 100% required. If I can permanently attach these square headed interlocking "couplers" to their respective metal rods, that would be OK too.

Do they sell these? I searched for "square head couplers" but came up empty.

Thanks!IMG_0823.JPG

do you need square head or would any engagement method work that provided positive drive from one shaft to the next? I'm also guessing you need separable pieces. Normally the shaft would be able to go through the coupling and the couplings I have seen have fingers that engage outside the diameter of the shaft.

do you need square head or would any engagement method work that provided positive drive from one shaft to the next? I'm also guessing you need separable pieces. Normally the shaft would be able to go through the coupling and the couplings I have seen have fingers that engage outside the diameter of the shaft.

Thank you for your reply.

It doesn't need to be square head. Any engagement method that allows positive drive from shaft to shaft would be fine. But I do need separable pieces. Otherwise I could use a motor coupling "sleeve" with set screws for both shafts. So looking for something that would allow me to disengage easier than having to unscrew one set of set screws every time I wanted to remove the shaft.

How large is the shaft and how much space do you have available? I'm a fan of Lovejoy couplings but they aren't tiny. They are somewhat self-aligning and they have a rubber "spider" that does a nice job of damping the two pieces from clanking around.

If you need any kind of flexibility... I just used these on a tiny little pump head with an 8 horse motor.

upload_2017-10-17_15-57-59.png

Go to McMaster.com and search for u joints (aka universal joints).

How large is the shaft and how much space do you have available? I'm a fan of Lovejoy couplings but they aren't tiny. They are somewhat self-aligning and they have a rubber "spider" that does a nice job of damping the two pieces from clanking around.

The shaft is ~7mm on one side and ~6mm on the other side. As long as they're not TOO big, it should be okay.

look up "servo shaft coupler"

It looks to me like set screws are what attach the coupler to the shaft, correct? I'm trying to avoid having to mess with set screws each time. Something that engaged/disengaged with no "screwing around" (so to speak) would be better.

Glad we have gotten something that puts you on the right track to finding your parts. I knew we just had to start the discussion and find out more about your requirements instead of 3D printing your original requested item.

Glad we have gotten something that puts you on the right track to finding your parts. I knew we just had to start the discussion and find out more about your requirements instead of 3D printing your original requested item.

Yeah, I’m going to try and put together a DIY ultrasonic spinner and this was the missing link to go from motor to spindle assembly.

Ordered several parts from eBay, those will take awhile to arrive. Will order the tank last as it’s the most expensive and if what should work in my head doesn’t pan out on real life, I won’t have spent much in the process.

Back
Top Bottom