Do you accept phone calls from strangers?

Do you take phone calls from strangers

• Total voters
its about the only fun I get, to mess with them. I get to tell them about my new charity and how they can donate...

The Do Not Call list needs to be expanded to include non-profits, political calls, and surveys. We also need a way to automatically block all calls that originate from outside the USA.

My advice is do not donate to political organizations or non-profits. It has been my experience that a $25 donation will be spent on repeated requests for additional donations, rather than on accomplishing what the organizations supposedly support.

I work in the fundraising shop for a state university, maintaining the database and extracting data. We make no more than one call per year to selected alumni and donors. We don't mail much either (usually three times per year) also, to keep costs down. Because we have a preexisting relationship with the folks we call, and we use student callers that we hire (instead of outsourcing), we are exempt from having to use the Do Not Call list, but this is not true for all non-profits. We do honor requests to be removed from phone calls and/or mail, so please ask politely. Cussing out a 19 year old student worker at one's alma mater is pure assholery. We are not doing as much calling these days, as too many people are not picking up their phone, but some still do when they see the name of their alma mater on the caller ID.

We run a lean shop. You donate $25 to our Mathematics department, the full $25 goes into an account for the Maths folks to spend, We fund our fundraising activities (including my salary) from other sources.

Any unknown numbers on my cell get sent to voicemail. If its a human they will leave a message. I rarely get calls, and most of the ones I do get are telemarketers trying to sell me a warranty on my car, telling me about some vacation reward that I've earned, or some other such thing that I know is bogus.

I actually read an article on that Do Not Call list, nutshell version was that there are marketing firms that simply ignore it because there isn't enough enforcement. When they get caught, the business vanishes and a new one pops up to start the cycle over again. Too much money to be made without enough risk to deter it basically.

I work in the fundraising shop for a state university, maintaining the database and extracting data. We make no more than one call per year to selected alumni and donors. We don't mail much either (usually three times per year) also, to keep costs down. Because we have a preexisting relationship with the folks we call, and we use student callers that we hire (instead of outsourcing), we are exempt from having to use the Do Not Call list, but this is not true for all non-profits. We do honor requests to be removed from phone calls and/or mail, so please ask politely. Cussing out a 19 year old student worker at one's alma mater is pure assholery. We are not doing as much calling these days, as too many people are not picking up their phone, but some still do when they see the name of their alma mater on the caller ID.

We run a lean shop. You donate $25 to our Mathematics department, the full $25 goes into an account for the Maths folks to spend, We fund our fundraising activities (including my salary) from other sources.

That's one call, and two mailings too many.

Your exemption from the Do Not Call list should be taken away.

Tom Mabe telemarketing prank
If you didn't hear this years ago Google it and listen to it on YouTube....

There are many good ways of dealing with companies and scammers & this video should ignite some creativity in those who use its example...

I don't answer. The times that I have...thinking it might be a legit call....I've ended up regretting it.

Always seems to be a bunch of sales calls or other spam.

Other day... I'm in a "discussion" with my wife and the cell phone rings with one of those numbers...

I gladly take it and start joyfully acting interested in the recording... I pull the phone away and tell my wife " Hey it looks like we won something..."

She glares at me a tells me to hang up.... I walk out to the garage while speaking loudly into the phone " Tell me more ! "

They can be used ...

Wow colleges and universities calling for money, that's funny. Ask the board to take a paycut, they'll have tons of money.

Keep something like this cued up and handy and just hit the play button when "they" call ...

The problem with these calls today is spoofing apps. My daughter has a life threatening condition, so I need to answer the phone in case it's the school calling. Unfortunately now the telemarketer/scammers can make their number look like a number from your home town. I have to answer and just end up hanging up on them, I've asked politely and not politely to be removed and it ends up getting you more calls. I have even seen where they called and it came across as my phone number. How ****ing stupid do they think people are? How the hell could one call one's own number?

I just received 2 calls from the same unknown number in the last few minutes. The first time, I just let it ring. No message left. The second time, I picked up the phone and immediately hung up. I then put them on the CenturyLink block list. Unfortunately, I am only allowed 12 or so blocked numbers. I need a list of 6.022 times 10 to the 23 numbers.

Unless it is a number I recognize, I do not answer it. If the caller is legitimate, they will leave a voice mail. I have a caller ID'd as Sarria Raffeal. This caller calls, starting around three and will call 6 to 8 times more each day till as late as 9pm. I hate this shit. My answers stopped the day I got a call asking me if I was Gary. I said yes and realized it was the scam to get you to say yes, which they use later to prove you ordered something or other. I cursed her up a blue streak. Since that time I don't answer unless recognized.

Yeah, I answer the phone, no big deal. And I don’t **** with people trying to sell stuff, I think it unseemly to **** with some poor bastard trying to pay his bills, a person that once would’ve had a job in a steel mill or factory. I gave grief to management, not workers.

I used to simply hang up or not answer. If it's something legit, I tell them not interested, and go about my merry way. Almost daily for a while I was getting the ones KingBubba was talking about. This is obviously a recorded line; some guy starts out all professional that he's such and such from some medical services company. Then you get the "can you hear me alright?" I was smart enough to say "no." So recorded voice tries again-has anyone recently had back trouble or surgery? "No." You then get a "I'm sorry, our services cannot be of benefit to you right now." I have taken to saying "Bye, Felicia" on a few occasions hoping that confuses their system.

When I get some foreigner trying to sell me something, I go into my Jed Clampett persona. "Yes, sir I shore wood be intrusted! Why Mister Drysdale sez that I need some of that there inshorance. Well, sir, I thank Granny might be wantin' some too. Mister Drysdale sed that y'all is highly recommended!"

If you get the prerecorded "you've won a cruise" deal, just start randomly punching numbers on the keypad. This apparently confuses their computer and you generally won't get called again.

I also see a lot lately of the spoofing. The last 4 digits of my cell phone are 5569. I receive calls a lot of times from 9556 that are scam calls.

Back
Top Bottom