1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you accept phone calls from strangers?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Archguy, Jan 21, 2018.

?

Do you take phone calls from strangers

1. Yes, almost always

10.6%
  2. No, almost never

85.6%
  3. A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet

0.8%
  4. What's a phone call (I'm under 30)

0.8%
  5. I take candy from strangers

3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

As I said, I don't do that to charities or other legitimate causes.

Scammers and telemarketers? I have a VERY hard time feeling any sympathy at all for them. A person deserves to live in peace without the damn phone ringing constantly. I don't make unwanted calls to other people's houses, and I don't want them made to mine.

Sorry if that offends you.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Multimode and Bill Ferris like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ScottFan355

ScottFan355 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey whatever - kudos to you if you never had to get a crappy job to survive.

3. ScottFan355

Just maybe think about the fact that the telemarketer you are cussing out would probably rather have almost any other job so that he doesn't have to listen to that crap. But for some people the option isn't there at the time. Is it really that hard to just not answer or hang up?

4. Snow

Snow AK Subscriber Subscriber

I almost always answer the phone unless I know for sure it is someone I don't want to talk to. I don't think I have ever had a scammer or telemarketer call me not once in 50 years perhaps I am just lucky.

Regards Snow

5. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

That's not the point. They shouldn't be calling in the first place.

Multimode, MaxxVolume and Bill Ferris like this.
  6. SPL db

SPL db It's all about the music! Subscriber

7. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

I just hit the on hook button as many times as I feel l like until it disconnects them or they disconnect..

Back in the nineties~ 2010 times, at least here in NE. FL. I just advised all human solicitor`s to permanently put my telephone # on their "do not call list" and that failure to do so will result in legal action, as permitted by Federal Law..
    Advising them that I had already successfully won a monetary award and that the judge has to award, as it`s Federally mandated.

Seemed to have worked back then as after a few months of saying that the calls decreased considerably.

Also, back in the late nineties when I still had dialup, I had a second land line installed for just dial up with only one phone connected to it.

I never gave out that tel.#, so one day my now deceased attorney friend was visiting and that dial up phone rang, which annoyed me, as I knew it had to be a solicitor(most likely) or a miss-dialed call, and he requested that I let him deal with it, so he did a pretty clever thing when he answered it by saying in a official sounding voice: "Air Defense Command-- access code please" ??
    I couldn`t hear clearly what the solicitor was saying, but my friend said they apologized and said that my/that tel. # would be removed from the national call list ,and would also be entered into the national do not call database, that the legit solicitor`s use..
    That phone, as I recollect didn`t ring again for the few more years that I had that separate dialup land line in service..

OKB

beat_truck likes this.
  8. ScottFan355

Trust me no one ever wakes up one day and thinks 'boy, I want to be a telemarketer!'. Most of them probably applied to dozens of other jobs first and then took the job when rent was due in ten days. That was the worst job I ever had and trust me I quit as soon as I could.

the skipper and Bill Ferris like this.
  9. hi*ball

hi*ball Records & Coffee

10. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Subscriber

Moderation Note:

Ease up on each other, and stay on topic people.

Rich P

hjames and Bill Ferris like this.
  11. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

<Indian voice> "Just a very quick survey Sir, it will only take a minute of your time...."

<Me> "No it won't, it'll take less than 2 seconds goodbye" click brrrrrrrrr.... :D

Multimode and the skipper like this.

12. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

Be careful, your first line might unintentionally ruffle some feathers.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  13. ScottFan355

Well I think we can all agree that it would be great if we could get the ceo of these companies phone number and put it online:)

14. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

Your right Sir.
    That why I never cussed or verbally abused them, just a polite request of tel. # removal and advisement of the legal consequences of failure to do so, at least it worked back in the day..

All that has changed these days, so I look at caller ID, and if I don`t recognize, I then simply pickup the phone and then place back in the cradle..
    I pay for a land line and it`s not going to be a conduit for incoming robo call pestering, period !!

pustelniakr likes this.
  15. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

@beat_truck, I know the frustration, trust me, I really do. I don't have sympathy for actual scam artists, but I do have sympathy for a poor bloke just doing a job. I worked rent to own for over 5 years. Not a dream job by any means; the hours were good, but that was about it. Our job was to call those who were behind on their payment for either a payment or merchandise pickup. I can't tell you the times I was cursed at either on the phone or in person, nor the times I was threatened with physical harm either on the phone or in person. Yes, I had to have the police involved in some instances. Then if you had to call their references (they had to list 4), that was opening up a whole new ball of wax. If it's a scam, give them heck. If not, be nice.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  16. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

@beat_truck, let me add something. Part of my job was also to telemarket. I hated that just as much; I'm sitting there trying to goad people into buying, for instance, a 32" TV that they could get at WalMart for $150 but asking them to pay $5.99 per week for 96 weeks. Add on to that "insurance" of $5 per week, plus any late fees and in-home collection fees. I felt dirty, dude, dirty. It was the best I could do for a job at the time. Had I not have called these people, I don't have a job. Not only were we required to call prior customers, we were also told at times to call the references of the people to see if they wanted to rent something. We were doing a job. Go easy on folks.

Bill Ferris likes this.

17. Archguy

Archguy Official Roiurama Factory Rep Subscriber

Really, just don't take the calls. Don't answer. De-activate your recording/voicemail/machine or whatever's necessary. It's not worth getting your blood pressure elevated. OTOH, while I have sympathy for people just trying to make a living--there are ways and there are ways. I couldn't live with myself if I made a living by victimizing people, particularly those less fortunate in life. "Just following orders" is a phrase we've heard in some really unpleasant contexts. There are always other jobs, even if they're (also) not ideal.

This thread was intended to be light-hearted (note some of the poll options) and I certainly didn't intend for anyone to get his feathers ruffled.

As an aside, I moderate a forum where one of the most prolific contributors (and a generally amiable person) made his fortune manufacturing auto-dialing devices. It's all I can do not to give him a smack!

Bill Ferris and beat_truck like this.
  18. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

Agreed.
    I wouldn't be able to do a job that's sole purpose is taking advantage of other people, either. I'd literally do just about anything else.

Multimode likes this.
  19. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

Yes it can be problematic being cursed with the burden of a conscience, but it`s a load that I`m willing to carry because I like to be able to sleep..

Carry on folks, OKB

beat_truck likes this.
  20. mshultz

mshultz Member

A few years ago, I was getting surveys about laboratory instrumentation at work. They seemed to think I was the Consumer Reports of lab instruments, asking me about how the instruments I used compared to other brands. A good laboratory technician takes care of his instruments, so they last a long time. As a result, you don't have experience using a variety of brands. The next time someone called, I told him I had already taken the survey, but he insisted on doing another 10 minute survey. I finally started telling the callers "You have 30 seconds." They would respond by saying that was not enough time and ask if there was a more convenient time for me. I would then tell them that I was not interested.

I was a Gallop Poll member for a while, but found the surveys to be more like interrogations; their length designed to break you down through lack of water, food, and sleep. Most surveys seem to have this fault. Here's a hint: If it won't fit on one screen at 1024x768, then it is too long.

Bill Ferris and John James like this.