Do you have a favorite supplier of outdoor clothing ?

MaxxVolume

Lunatic Member
Over the decades, I`ve dealt with many vendors.... Campmor, Eastern Mountain Sports, Eddie Bauer, L.L. Bean, and others. The last few years, I have gravitated to Bailey`s (Laytonville, Ca.), they cater mainly to the logging/arborist trade, and carry LOTS of clothing for the working man. Pants, jeans, and jackets by Carhartt, Ben Davis, Dickies, Viking, Wrangler, Big Bill, Key, Wild Ass, Berne, and Prison Blues ("Made on the inside, to be worn on the outside"). All kinds of tools, chainsaws, you name it....anything timber-related, they have it.
Decent prices, too.

My other favorite is Duluth Trading Co., They have a lot of top-quality, hard-wearing gear. Their commercials crack me up, too :)

I like Duluth khaki painter pants a lot. Tough. Have a nice US made belt from them, too.

Carhartt for outerwear (for big guys.LOL),buy mine from the local Farm & Fleet.
Also have some older BDU pants from a surplus place down in Tx. that's no longer in business -and- some newer BDU pants from Propper.

Skivvys are FOTL mostly,and some winter thermals from Farm & Fleet (work 'n sport store brand IIRC)

Boots (daily) are Magnum -or- have a pair of H-D boots (occasional).
For summer shoes Van's sneakers or something similar.
Socks are Dr.Scholl's -or- Carhartt.

Hats are either Carhartt -or- Propper (boonie hats).
Glooves are Wells Lamont.

Sun glasses are Bobster -or- some random cheap sun glasses (generally use polarized regardless).

Rain Ponchos are Charles River Pacific ponchos.

The rest of my clothes are mostly just whatever was cheap and looked comfortable from where-ever.

FWIW

Bret P.

I tend to favor REI for in-store shopping. Their house brand is great and they also carry Marmot (jackets, sleeping bags, etc.). Eddie Bauer makes good stuff and I'm always hip to their sales. LL Bean is also on my short list. My teen kids love North Face and, while a bit overpriced, I like the quality.

I just use military surplus (especially BDU pants and the Gortex parkas and pants), and occasionally buy new from Cabela's. Also - there are a couple of North Face outlets close by, so sometimes I buy stuff from them.

Used to be my older brothers ... <G>

Now it's Tractor Supply or Family Farm - whatever's on sale. I ain't picky, long as I'm warm. Warm is good.

Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, North Face, Sierra Design and REI pretty much covers it. With the exception of REI the stuff is pricey, but it last forever. It's kinda ridiculous, I have clothing and gear that's 20-35 years old. Stuff won't die.

I tend to favor REI for in-store shopping. Their house brand is great and they also carry Marmot (jackets, sleeping bags, etc.). Eddie Bauer makes good stuff and I'm always hip to their sales. LL Bean is also on my short list. My teen kids love North Face and, while a bit overpriced, I like the quality.

You can get even bigger savings using their coupon codes.
https://www.retailmenot.com/view/eddiebauer.com
I thought I would share this link in case other forum members were not aware of it.

Try sierra trading post... can often find top names in last years colors, models etc. I go for the mountaineering names... nice italian boots too.

Try sierra trading post... can often find top names in last years colors, models etc. I go for the mountaineering names... nice italian boots too.

Unfortunately Sierra Trading Post has stopped sending coupon codes in my email.
I am glad I ordered the Alico Guide boots when they were enclosing the coupon codes in their sales flyer.

Have you tried adding yourself to their website mailing list? That's usually how it works with most online shopping. Right at the top of their main page, and I see they've got a deal for free shipping if you sign up NOW!

Time's a wasting! Run, don't walk, to the nearest keyboard! ;-}

Have you tried adding yourself to their website mailing list? That's usually how it works with most online shopping. Right at the top of their main page, and I see they've got a deal for free shipping if you sign up NOW!

Time's a wasting! Run, don't walk, to the nearest keyboard! ;-}

I still get their sales flyer in my email account.
Also I spoke to a sales rep on their chat and was told they have lowered all their prices and were not using the coupon codes like before.
I tried using a coupon code recently and was told that it had reached it's limit in use.

We just got a Sierra Trading Post retail store in town. Quite different than the black and white catalog I remember as a kid. They do have pretty great deals sometimes on some good brands. I recently got a pair of Blundstones on closeout for less than half regular price.

I usually get most of my clothes at thrift stores though. Can't beat a practically new pair of Carhartts for 8 bucks! I also recently found 2 pairs of new Chippewa boots on shopgoodwill.com for under 40 shipped. I guess I like finding bargains...

Hey
Carhart shirts/jackets/coats. Dickies jeans, cheap heavy duty material ones. Dickies carpenter shorts in the summertime.
Carolina boots at home, Hytest at work (free).
Eric

Hey
Carhart shirts/jackets/coats. Dickies jeans, cheap heavy duty material ones. Dickies carpenter shorts in the summertime.
Carolina boots at home, Hytest at work (free).
Eric

Fan of Dickies & Carhart both. The Dickies quilted jacket is the bomb. Bought mine ~10 years back and it is still holding together although it does have some punctures. I wear it under my shell when I want another layer. I like Carhart jeans although they have taken a backseat to the Wrangler Cowboy-Cut ones I started buying. Those have heavier denim and wear like 1960s era Levis.

We went to Europe for 2 weeks last year and I wanted minimal clothing and things I could wash & wear. I ended up buying a pile of Kuhl outdoor pants & shell. Best investment I've made in clothes. Quick drip-dry for the pants and the shell kept me bone dry in a bad rainstorm plus the gear does not look like camp wear, more like office casual

Back
Top Bottom