do you leave your glasses on?

2011etec

First ,without my glasses on i cant read.Distance ok.Binocs or scope glasses off.Question basically is when shooting dig or film with a camera do you leave your glasses on or no?Just today i noticed with my glasses on i seem to have trouble manually focusing and it seems better without my glasses.Will have to experiment more.I never thought of it before because up until a month or so ago i was only using a autofocus nikon d3100,now that in shooting with rangefinders and 35mm manual slr its more noticeable.Anybody else encountered this?

Well does your digital camera have adjustable diopter viewfinder?
A lot of old film cameras had a way to swap in different diopter values in the viewfinder. Some just clipped on, some you installed under the screw on eye piece bezel.

I have a lot of NOS ones for the Pentax 35mm bodies and the 6x7

I have no issue with the d3100 4-2-7 as its autofocus.Seeing as how i have no clue what a diopter value is can i assume it means magnification basically?

Even when i had perfect site i always worried that i was. out of focus ,im probably worrying to much about nothing .Thing is with film you wont know till you have it developed vs digital which is instant results.

If your distance vision is correct, then you should take your glasses off. If the viewfinder has a diopter correction, its purpose is to compensating focus of your eyes the same as eyeglasses, so that you can use the camera without glasses; but there are two things to note:
1) the diopter adjustment cannot compensate for astigmatism in your eye;
2) you in particular have good distant vision and therefore don't need compensation with your glasses off. If your camera has an adjustment, you can just turn it back and forth until you get the clearest result, but for you that should be with zero compensation.

old and 4-2-7 thanks for the explanation.Your so right about shooting digital making us lazy,though im sure it can be used to experiment and learn at almost zero cost vs film .Ive started to use my nikon on totally manual and playing with different settings .Never to late to learn something new.I have to give a plug to the Kodak pocket guide to 35mm photography!No rookie should be without one.

Ive started to use my nikon on totally manual and playing with different settings .Never to late to learn something new.I have to give a plug to the Kodak pocket guide to 35mm photography!No rookie should be without one.

Tomorrow I'll take some photos of a camera, book and tell how that got me started in the early 90s.

Last edited:
Never to late to learn something new.I have to give a plug to the Kodak pocket guide to 35mm photography!No rookie should be without one.

Not to highjack your thread but I wanted to explain how books like this can start one off on learning a lot.
Back when I was a kid living at home in the mid 70s (15-16 years old), my Dad bought a camera, it was his first SLR a Pentax K 1000 SE. I learned how to use it enough to shoot family photos, I think we all could relate to that need way back when. He also bought a Pentax Book, How to select and use Pentax SLR Cameras. As a kid that book was cool, all the different gear TOTL Pro stuff was presented as well as how to use it. At 15 years old it was all a dream looking though that book.

Fast forwards to 1990 my Dad past away and as my parent had split up us kids got his stuff. So heres the book and camera, that really he never stopped using for the past 15 or so years.

IMG_3508.jpg IMG_3509.jpg IMG_3510.jpg IMG_3511.jpg IMG_3512.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3509.jpg
    IMG_3509.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3511.jpg
    IMG_3511.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3512.jpg
    IMG_3512.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3513.jpg
    IMG_3513.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0
IMG_3513.jpg IMG_3514.jpg

Around 1994 I decided to start using the camera and looking at the book to refresh my memory. Well that book got me thinking and buying more and more gear, no eBay, no Computers, just finding the equipment locally. There where lots of camera stores that would have used gear on consignment or just traded in that I would check regularly. I also got started on a darkroom in an extra bathroom, enlarger, Jobo Color Processor and supporting goodies. At this point it wasn't just vintage camera buying, I had a Canon EOS 1n RS the TOTL at the time.

Well I gave up the hobby around 1999, and sold everything......

Fast forwards to Christmas 2009, my sisters gave me a computer, LOL, what the hell am I going to do with this thing? I never used a computer in my life, but lets see:idea: what can I do with a computer that would be fun? That same weekend I went to Best Buy and bought a Canon D50 with a couple lenses. Within that week Comcast installed internet and a whole new world came to life. Hey what's eBay about, LOL look at all those vintage cameras, RARE ones and all, hell I don't even need to get off my ass to own them. This is fun....:p

Anyway twice in my life I had the same hobby with a 15 year span, sort of, no dark room the second time around. and in reality it all started with looking though that Pentax book when I was a Kid with no money, just dreams. I have owned 99% of whats in that book in my life.

Last edited:
I have glasses too, that's why I have a 70's Cannon that has focus capabilities for distant shots....

Just push a button !

I only wear glasses to drive lol...and oddly enough I use my bad eye to use the viewfinder on my camera lol It's weird....I guess I'm nearsighted in that eye

Back
Top Bottom