Do you like horns?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by Grizzog, Nov 6, 2015.

?

Do you like the horn sound?

1. Yes, absolutely, nothing sounds as good!

69 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. No, why would someone like those and where are my ear muffs?

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. Rob41

Rob41 Don't stop believin'

Just a wee bit of difference compared to the way the poll questions are worded. :rolleyes:

With just a love em' or hate em' choice the results won't reflect reality. According to the results, 75% voted that nothing sounds as good as horns. Clearly, 75% of AK members do not even own horns.

I think if you word a poll more like in the above quoted post, and add a couple more middle ground choices you'd get more interesting/valid results. :thumbsup:

RhythmGJ and asilker like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Ricktptman

Ricktptman There are two kinds of Music: Good & Bad-Ellington Subscriber

I think there is a certain midrange honk that can't be gotten around. Some are better than others. But I'd rather have a good pair of horns than a bad pair of any other design. It's more relative than the choices offered.

3. IraGress

IraGress Active Member

I'm more of an antler guy, myself.

4. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

I love these horns!

[​IMG]

5. asilker

asilker Bible Reader

Wording here is a little weird. I don't know ow that I prefer horns over anything else... But I like them.

RhythmGJ likes this.
  6. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

There are wonderful horns (and compression drivers), good ones, and awful ones.
    There are also bass, midrange, treble, and tweeter horns.
    So the resolution of the poll strikes me as far too low.

I like my horns, no question 'bout that, though.

[​IMG]DSC_7248 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC_7249 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

RhythmGJ, Nemo bit and asilker like this.

7. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

I love MY horns—and particularly the way they reproduce real horns! Horns on horns is the bomb!

8. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

Horns all have problems as do woofers, metal tweeters with resonating diaphragms, and all speaker systems. Point source speakers spread the sound everywhere bring the room into play compromising the sound with unwanted reflections off floors and ceilings. Every speaker made is a compromise. That said good horn systems can be great installed properly and voiced to the room.

9. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I also love my horns, but am unwilling to say nothing sounds as good, so I also decline to vote. Polls are tricky to set up.

As for my horns, I love the things they do well, like big soundstage and great dynamics, and tolerate what they do less well. Oddly enough to some, perhaps, is that even though they will play voice-of-god loud, that really isn't where they shine. I like them best at low, moderate and just creeping into loud carefully levels. Too loud, too shrill. Varies with recordings and associated equipment. I can't take LOUD too long from any speaker anymore. Listening now and sounds mighty fine. So, yes, I love my horns, but like J. J. Cale sang, I'd like to love you baby, keep my other baby, too. Been thinking about another baby, but can't determine what it may be. Other than awhile, that is.

Again, yes nothing better and no need earmuffs were the only two options you could offer, OP? Trying to fan a flame?

UncleBingo and RhythmGJ like this.
  10. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good horns at home can sound just like a rock concert, in fact, a lot better than the sound in most spots at most rock venues. My first serious speaker pair were my DIY Klipschorn copies. I never understood why so many people are adverse to the sound of horns. Mine did Take Five as well as they did DSOTM.

L-pads are our friends.

:)

RhythmGJ and asilker like this.
  11. jcamero

jcamero If you get confused just listen to the music play Subscriber

Never thought I'd like a horn loaded speaker until I bought a pair of horn loaded speakers made in Dallas Texas. So yes, I can enjoy a horn loaded speaker.

12. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

My old L200 horns sound wonderful to me. Not at all fatiguing to listen to All Night. Other people's mileage may very.

13. Gentle advice: If possible, rename the poll "Do you like horn loudspeakers?" I was going to reply "Yes. A straight alto sax." before entering the poll and coming to realization the OP meant loudspeakers featuring acoustic horn output conduits. :p On topic: Yes. Over three decades ago, I heard a pair of Voice of the Theatre horns during a school field trip and have rarely experienced that degree of imaging depth from a loudspeaker since. Even though I prefer the standard tweeter/midrange/bass driver bass reflex setup, if I had the cash/space, I'd grab a pair of VOTT's in a heartbeat.

RhythmGJ likes this.
  14. vonclod

vonclod AK Subscriber Subscriber

In general yes, in particular I love my Avantgardes, there is absolutely nothing bad I can find in their presentation. I do get to see a lot of horn systems(Altec, JBL..etc) roll through my buds shop, on occasion I hear some that I do not care for.

15. Ricktptman

Ricktptman There are two kinds of Music: Good & Bad-Ellington Subscriber

Beat me to the punch, Brian222.

16. russdall

russdall Active Member

Can you say "Pioneer CS R700's" Kids? >>>>>>>HORNS<<<<<<<< PIONEER CS-R700-1blog.jpg

UncleBingo likes this.

17. dB happy

dB happy Active Member

For the most part I don't like horns. There are some that are ok, but they don't sound natural. If a speaker can't trick my ears into believing the instrument or singer is in the room with me, I don't want it. I can usually tell if it's a horn speaker right away, especially if it's a midrange. I much prefer a soft dome mid and tweeter.

18. Nemo bit

Nemo bit Active Member

It's a trick question. All horns are not equal or even close. I like musical music. I love music
    I have horn speakers and I have speakers that are as far removed from being a horn speaker the only thing they share with the horn speakers I find musical is they also are.
    I appreciate all things that are utilized in a manner which reflects the best for required satisfaction of he or she needs to be satisfied. If I'm happy and those around me are also. Mission is a success! 50 year old Cornwall ll still above most. 40 year old OHM 2xo same. 40 yr old SDA2Bs same. 3 out of three. All good, all different...All musical:deal::):)

RhythmGJ likes this.
  19. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Did someone say horns?

wild_asian_buffalo_by_dogansoysal.jpg

RhythmGJ likes this.
  20. SiliconTi

SiliconTi AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have and listen to both. I really like my La Scalas in the home theater setting, and the Cornwalls are fantastic for percussion music. For low level listening I prefer the ARs.

RhythmGJ likes this.