Do you like how a Fisher 400 Receiver sounds?

MichaelJ

I'm thinking of getting one from an AK'er. Cheap enough I think, ($125). I'm sure it will need to be rebuilt and I'm checking on that cost. I've mentioned this to some people in "chat" and some of the opinions were "it's too colored" and "you will love it or hate it". I have never heard a Fisher 400 but have always had a bit of a "thing" for the brand. Hearing one is not a possibility so I'm looking for opinions. I know this is a bit like describing color to a blind man but I'd appreciate the input. Be aware that I do not have speakers for the Fisher, so I will be looking for something (under $600/pr) to match with it.

Thanks!
Mike

I love the 400. Actually, I love whichever Fisher I'm presently using the most. When it's a 7189 based X-100-3, I like that the most for its microdetail and voluptuous warm sound. When I use the 400, which sounds much better when all electrolytics are replaced and you use good tubes in the line stage like Sylvania long plates, I love that 7868 based receiver the best. It has much of the microdetail of the 7189 based units with more muscle but not as warm a sound. Great neutrality is its hallmark, but you must do some tube rolling in the line and phono stages to match it up for your system. When I have a 500-C in the system, I love its muscle and majesty the best. The 400 is very clear and images well. Change the output coupling caps from .047 microfarads to .1 microfarads to get that bottom octave out of that unit.

I have a Yamaha cr 2020 receiver and a McIntosh 4100 receiver. Got them to power the Ohm Walsh speakers I like. That being said I listen mostly to my FIsher 400. The sound may be colored, warm or whatever but the bottom line is that it's very pleasing to me. I inherited a Marantz model 5 amp that I use in the center channel. The speakers are nothing fancy, a pair of large advents and an old AR2A in the center, but I love the sound.

yes.
See if you can find a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls for $600 (it's a distinct possibility);otherwise maybe a pair of Heresys.

One more bonus in the 400 is that it has a summed line level output that goes to an RCA jack on the back. It's great to run that output to a powered subwoofer with auto turnon/shutoff. Set it once and forget it.

Yes.

I've heard more than one member state that they prefer the sound of the 400 over it's bigger brothers. It's an excellent and affordable start, as it was for me, into the world of tubed gear. I used mine with KLH Model Sixes and Seventeens, Klipsch LaScalas, and B&W DM602. It sounded good, to my ears, with all four.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have 2 fisher 400's, a kenwood 44 and allied 333. I actually like the kewood the best. I can't go on with all the colorful languge about why, just like it a bit more. Using Wharfedale 60's. That being said I like them all very very much.

I bet if I had some speakers that could take the power, the fisher would shine if I cranked it up, but I don't so I don't (have speakers/crank it up).

I know you asked about sound but another thing is maintenance the Fisher is by far the neatest and easiest to work on, lots of room and excellant lead dress.

oh and for 125$ its a DEAL!! even if you outfit it with all new 7868's (100$)

$125.00 WOW!

I paid 300.00 for my 500C & 250.00 to get it 'right.'

These old Fishers were made in heaven for some older Klipschs. I run KG4s with my 500C, I like.

Some folks I know dont like the phono section on the 500C (dont know about the 400) but I enjoy it like it is. Just get good tubes.

My experience with The Fisher 400 has been very rewarding. I was able to get a rebuild/restoration from my AK friend (Whaleman). The pictures are absolutely amazing of the before and after. Maybe you can view the rest of them on one of his past posts. The sound is amazing and like mhardy6647 I suggest the Klipsch Cornwalls (which I have been and will continue to use with the Fisher) or Heresy's as a great match. The tube sound is wonderful and it is now my main receiver in my home office vintage set up. I like it so much I have located another 500C (my first one got away way too fast as I was anxious to sell) and an 800B and want to have one of those rebuilt/restored by Craig at NOSvalves as soon as possible. (NOSvalves recommended by several of my AK contacts)

Attachments

• hhhh 089.jpg
    hhhh 089.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 224
  • hhhh 083.jpg
    hhhh 083.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 217
Judging by that Scott in the background, your 400 is in pretty fast company!

There is a definite synergy (for lack of a better word) between the somewhat rough Cornies and the smooth Fisher 400. I wouldn't call the Fisher colored... just very smooth. And this is not intended to be damning with faint praise.

Thanks everybody. I'm convinced. I've wanted to get into tubes and particularly Fisher for some time now. I've contacted Craig at NOSvalves about doing a rebuild and I'm waiting to see some photos of the 400. Hopefully the purchase and the rebuild go well. Next up is the search for some Klipsch Cornwalls. Sounds like a plan to me!

The 400 is a really nice tube receiver...I love mine. Easy to work on and cheap to retube (all 12AX7's except for the tuner tubes)...and the EH 7868's sound great without breaking the bank. It has a really nice FM tuner and a decent phono section. It also makes a great headphone amp. Very warm and satisfying to listen to for long periods. I have used mine with a lot of vintage speakers including Dynaco A25's, Larger and Smaller Advents and AR5's. I have it set up in the guest room right now with Klipsch Heresy's and often use it for late night escape with my AKG 701 headphones. You will love it.

Get the 400. You will not regret it if it is in nice shape. Mine has all the original tubes and sound wonderful. I have no clue how to describe the sound but its very pleasing to me. I use it to drive the JBL l50a's in my bed room and it does a very good job. Mine will be retired soon to make way for my HK citation gear but I like the 400 so much it will go up on a shelf somewhere and not sold.

I've said it before on other post but IMHO the Fisher 400 is one of the best if not the best value in Tube Hi Fi.

Steve

Boy, all this Fisher 400 talk is really making me motivated to get mine up and running. Bought it at a garage sale perhaps 15 years ago, and it has been patiently waiting for me to have the time and funds for a nice restoration. I think the time is at hand. BTW, I'm sure I paid under $40. But that's a garage sale for ya.

My main upstairs system is a 400 with all Telefunkens, and a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable. The phono stage is terrific.

I would never call a 400 "colored", unless it is in need of a refurb. There's no way you can listen to 40 year old capacitors and make any kind of determination as to how a piece of equipment is supposed to sound when it's working correctly.

As far as speakers, the majority will work just fine, as long as you're not trying to make low efficiency speakers loud enough to rattle the windows. I've been using everything from JBL L-100s to Klipsch KG-4s to Paradigm Mini-Monitors to the current favorites, a pair of Goodmans Magnum Ks.

Have fun with yours!:thmbsp:

My experience with The Fisher 400 has been very rewarding. I was able to get a rebuild/restoration from my AK friend (Whaleman). The pictures are absolutely amazing of the before and after. Maybe you can view the rest of them on one of his past posts. The sound is amazing and like mhardy6647 I suggest the Klipsch Cornwalls (which I have been and will continue to use with the Fisher) or Heresy's as a great match. The tube sound is wonderful and it is now my main receiver in my home office vintage set up. I like it so much I have located another 500C (my first one got away way too fast as I was anxious to sell) and an 800B and want to have one of those rebuilt/restored by Craig at NOSvalves as soon as possible. (NOSvalves recommended by several of my AK contacts)

That is one beautiful piece of equipment.

I had Fisher 400 before (with 12AX7 RCA/7868 Sylvania tubes), it was a nice sounding unit. Clean and warm tube sound. I prefer integrated amps over tuner/amps combos, so after all, I left Pioneer SM-83 vacuum tube integrated amplifier in my apartments, and sold out Fisher 400.

I love my 400, They look awesome and perform well. I use it with Klipsch Forte II's The FM section is also excellent. I also use a vintage Mac MX110 with various tube amps, yes the Mac set up sounds better but I still often rotate my 400 into my system. They are well built and fairly easy to work on. I also have a Scott 340B which is very nice sounding, both have their own characteristic sound and I can't say which I like better though the Scott has more balls. Both are restored/upgraded though I still have a few tweeks to do to both. Buy it you will love it and charish it forever.

The Destructor has spoken

I would never call a 400 "colored", unless it is in need of a refurb. There's no way you can listen to 40 year old capacitors and make any kind of determination as to how a piece of equipment is supposed to sound when it's working correctly.

Exactly. Once you get good caps in there, get the bias circuit sorted out so that the output tubes are drawing the right amount of current (individual bias pots are highly recommended for each output tube!), and verify that you have a good set of tubes (don't let anyone talk you into replacing any Telefunken input tubes unless they simply don't work at all, BTW, IMHO), the '400 is a very neutral unit, with very good dynamics.

I had one of these for a while... all-original Telefunken preamp/tuner tubes, completely rebuilt with new coupling caps, rebuilt bias circuit, and replacement 7868 output tubes (Electro-Harmonix)... played it on Dynaco A25s, EPI M110s, JBL 4313Bs and other similar size speakers, and it did extremely well. These don't seem to be very "speaker-sensitive"... they don't have any gross colorations that would make a speaker sound better or worse than it normally would. And that's how it should be...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom