Do you like how a Fisher 400 Receiver sounds?

I wouldn't call the sound amazing but it is a nice receiver. I still have one but haven't used it in a long time.

I can't comment much on the 400 aside from stating that it is indeed a very handsome receiver and appears that it would be easy to work on.

I bought a 400 this past winter as a project. I got it (relatively) cheap and planned to do a full J. McShane rebuild on it, but just haven't had the time to get to it yet. It's sitting in my office longing to be fixed . . . .

Maybe this winter I'll get to it. I'm really excited to hear it once it's up and running.

-Matt

I guess I've never heard one, come to think of it. I have a KX 200, which is a very capable integrated.:music:

I have a really scroungy one that I got very cheaply -- I need to jam some tubes in it (it was stripped of its 12AX7s), give it a minimal rehab and bring it up on a Variac to see if it's worth salvaging.

They do sound pretty nice, based on the couple I've rehabbed.

I have a really scroungy one that I got very cheaply -- I need to jam some tubes in it (it was stripped of its 12AX7s), give it a minimal rehab and bring it up on a Variac to see if it's worth salvaging.

They do sound pretty nice, based on the couple I've rehabbed.

DSo they use a butt load of AX7s? The 200 uses 6 or 7, making it expensive to run Teles and the like.

The 400 uses nine 12AX7's unless you substitute a 12AT7 in the V100 position in the MPX unit. I read about this trick and tried a 12AX7 and a 12AT7 in V100 when my Electrical Engineer friend was helping me align my 400. The AT7 did improve performance.

From a previous thread....

"Charlie noticed an interesting thing about the stereo multiplex sections of the receivers. The 800B used two 12AT7s and one 12AX7, while the 500C and 400 used three 12AX7s. However, all of the other parts values are the same. He theorizes that Fisher decided to simplify their inventory needs by eliminating the 12AT7 from this circuit, allowing them to just order 12AX7s in large quantities. Charlie then went on to demonstrate that the 12AT7 in the V100 position of the Fisher 400 multiplex actually improved the performance over the stock 12AX7. It allowed the tuner to lock on to the station better. So, here's one tweak you can try in your old Fishers if you experience this problem on weaker stereo stations."

The 400 uses the same MPX unit (MX-65) as my FM-50-B which uses a 12AT7 in the V-100 position.

Sound wise I love my 400. The FM is the best sounding that I have ever heard. I'm playing mine through a pair of Heresy's. I turn it on and have trouble turning it off it sounds so nice. I spent around $250 on parts to get it up to par after initial purchase but it's money well spent.

Only my Mac MX110 tuner/pre tuner performs better than my 400. My 400 and my MR67 are about tie. My 110 is probably aligned a little better than my 67. I find myself listening to FM more when I'm using a good tube tuner even when the stations are overplaying the usual worn out crap, but when they play a string of good songs a bit off the beaten path, heaven.

The 400 uses nine 12AX7's unless you substitute a 12AT7 in the V100 position in the MPX unit. I read about this trick and tried a 12AX7 and a 12AT7 in V100 when my Electrical Engineer friend was helping me align my 400. The AT7 did improve performance.

"Charlie noticed an interesting thing about the stereo multiplex sections of the receivers. The 800B used two 12AT7s and one 12AX7, while the 500C and 400 used three 12AX7s. However, all of the other parts values are the same. He theorizes that Fisher decided to simplify their inventory needs by eliminating the 12AT7 from this circuit, allowing them to just order 12AX7s in large quantities. Charlie then went on to demonstrate that the 12AT7 in the V100 position of the Fisher 400 multiplex actually improved the performance over the stock 12AX7. It allowed the tuner to lock on to the station better. So, here's one tweak you can try in your old Fishers if you experience this problem on weaker stereo stations."

The 400 uses the same MPX unit (MX-65) as my FM-50-B which uses a 12AT7 in the V-100 position.

Sound wise I love my 400. The FM is the best sounding that I have ever heard. I'm playing mine through a pair of Heresy's. I turn it on and have trouble turning it off it sounds so nice. I spent around $250 on parts to get it up to par after initial purchase but it's money well spent.

Duh, I forgot the 12AX7s in the MPX decoder :p

I use 12AT7s in V100 and V102. I leave a Tele in V101. This is a trick for all of those units with the MPX-65 plug-in module. So, this works for the 400, the 500-C and the 800-C.

The 400 uses the 7868 output tube, which is essentially a 7591A with a different base. The 400 is a nice sounding receiver and sounds similar to the 500C and 800C. For the price, you can't go wrong if it is a working receiver. It will most probably need a rebuild, but that is not really expensive if you do it yourself. If not, you can generally get a basic rebuild for a 400 for around $200.00 plus shipping. (unless there are other issues like a non working tuner, bad multiplex etc.) It offers a bit more power then any 7189 / EL84 type amp.

(don't let anyone talk you into replacing any Telefunken input tubes unless they simply don't work at all, BTW, IMHO),

After trying a BUNCH of vintage 12AX7s tubes including Teles and mullards nothing beats my JJTubes lol I know it sounds like Im nuts but the JJs have a sweet smoothness to them that I cant get from NOSs.

I have the original Fisher's in the power section that are doing just fine.

I had a 400 and it was a nice unit. I felt my Harmon Kardon Award 500 integrated amp had a bit fuller sound, but the Fisher was not revamped. When it went down, I unwisely let it go. I wish I had kept it and had it brought up to spec. I really like the old Fishers like the 400's and 500's, they really were great units.

I wish I still had my old Fisher 400. They really are nice-sounding rigs. It also holds a nice memory for me, because the Fisher 400 I once owned was the very first piece of electronic gear I ever repaired, when I was 12. At the time the receiver belonged to my stepfather. The need for repair came about when the original bridge rectifier exploded (literally, I'll never for get the smell) on power-up one morning.

By the way, if any of you have a Fisher 400, and are curious about whether it needs work or not, don't worry, a Fisher 400 is NOT shy at all about letting you know when it wants to go to the shop! (Ever seen output tube plates go past the 'red' stage and actually glow an orangish-purple? :D )

Bringing back this very old thread with a question. Tried a 12AT7 in the V100 position and got no reception at all. Put it in V101 and a 12AX7 in the V100 and reception is back. Any thoughts on why this may be. My 400 is completely restored.

Thanks.

A colored sounding Fisher 400 is due to needing maintenance or the type of tubes installed. My Fisher 400 with Brimer CV4035 in phono section (Telefunken about as good), Telefunken 12AX7s in amp, tone & phase splitters driving either Sylvania 7868 or slightly smoother RCA 7868 black plate is uncolored, crystal clear & musical.

They are just OK by me.

To my ears, they have a bit of a "dark" sound, without much crispness or detail. I think Scotts or Sherwoods are better.

Bringing back this very old thread with a question. Tried a 12AT7 in the V100 position and got no reception at all. Put it in V101 and a 12AX7 in the V100 and reception is back. Any thoughts on why this may be. My 400 is completely restored.

Thanks.

Bad tube. I use a 12AT7. It is the audio out amp tube.

They are just OK by me.

To my ears, they have a bit of a "dark" sound, without much crispness or detail. I think Scotts or Sherwoods are better.

My post may be 'slanted' due to my Klipsch speakers have horns that produce details with sufficient treble & upper mids.

Back
Top Bottom