Do you miss a particular audio brick-and-mortar store?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by a10warthog, Apr 11, 2017.

1. dbxdx5

dbxdx5 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Purdue Radio in Montclair NJ. I bought some of my first gear from them. I can still recall lusting after all of the Nakamichi cassette decks they carried. Sigh.

2. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

The local Radio Shack as well as and especially the local hardware store, lost to the powers that be.

3. Doctorhugo

Doctorhugo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Probably Tottenham Court Road. I bought my senheiser headphones there that I still have. A whole bunch of discount audio stores. :biggrin:

4. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

I miss the following:

Oak Ridge, TN

The Music Box (founded by Bill Pollock, founded 1942-closed ) 1984 Horace Cerutti and Hugh Nichols the last owners. Great people all, had a record store/TV and Radio shop on ground floor, HiFi on the basement. Sold at one time about every great HiFi brand there ever was.

Hyacinth Sound! A Record shop (Cheapest LP prices in Oak Ridge). First Maxell dealer for blank tapes, sold AR and Advent HiFi gear.

Knoxville, TN

The Stereo Center. Charlie Randall. Sold McIntosh, Fisher, HH Scott, and Thorens. Also sold Dual, JBL, AR, KLH, and more.
    England Sound- Jimmy England sold about everything consumer or professional. Large Crown dealer.
    HiFi House- My first taste of Denon and Luxman and they also introduced me to B&W, Paradigm, Energy, and more

5. 2DualsNotEnough

2DualsNotEnough Super Member

And the giant hand painted replicas of album covers on the front of the store.

6. nedseg

nedseg AK Subscriber Subscriber

Specialized Sounds, Madison, Wi. Miss them a lot (and admit partly my fault for not supporting them more in 90s).
    Respectful expert/s (rare nowadays?), extremely knowledgeable, superb buying/sound advice, listening room, etc.
    Forums may provide better breadth of 'opinions', but hard to beat having a local expert shop to bounce ideas off of.
    :(

7. bd1886

bd1886 Super Member

It was the Trans-Alaska Pipline years and Shimek's Audio/Anchorage was a mecca for hanging out and people spending some of that cash earned out in those camps. From McIntosh to Sherwood,the sales people spent time in helping you choose within what your budget "was"....until you walked through the door! (Everybody stretched some it seems because cash flowed like honey in those pipeline years.) Our group of guys became kind of competitive in our gear and "loud" meant a win, so Pioneer Spec, big Marantz and Pioneer SX-1250s' etc. were deemed "having arrived". (Me....not even close to affording that league, but with help in choosing my system, grabbed Bolivar 64 speaks, Harman Kardon 330c receiver, Technics SL-B2 turntable and a small Sony R2R....and enough cash left for a Led Zep II album!) After all was said and done those Bolivars had me in the "leagues" with a lot of other guys gear and 16yr. old nirvana had been achieved. (They eventually went boutique and car audio, now gone I think.) Sign of the times but....sure remember THOSE signs of the times I'll tell ya.

Just found out about an audio lounge across from Seattle (near or in Bremerton?) that my daughter found and explored so while not exactly a store with long hair and bell bottoms per se, going to check for a schedule of events and would love to share that with her....

Thanks for the post and the triggered good memories a10warthog!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 12:44 PM