Do you need to replace the vellum paper on your Marantz Receiver

patfont

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
.....Yes you do, takes no time at all, and a good time to change out the bulbs. After 30+ years that Vellum Paper is yellowed and hard.

Look at the difference:

And now easy access to the bulbs:

Just waiting for my bulbs to arrive.

Where did you get your vellum? I got mine at Walmart. Hobby Lobby also had single sheets of the same weight. 15 sheets of 30 lb vellum at Walmart, but I had to double it in order to minimize the spot lights effect. I couldn't find 50 lb vellum anywhere.

Where did you get your vellum? I got mine at Walmart. Hobby Lobby also had single sheets of the same weight. 15 sheets of 30 lb vellum at Walmart, but I had to double it in order to minimize the spot lights effect. I couldn't find 50 lb vellum anywhere.

I got mine off of ebay paid 7.50 which included shipping. I had it in 2 days. It is the right weight and saved me the trouble of looking around at different stores for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 layers of baking parchment paper works good, too...just use a little bit of aileen's tacky glue on the edges to hold them in place.

I got mine from the same seller for $7.00 even. He took my offer of $4.25 for the paper. It's a big enough piece to easily do both my 2230 and 2285.

Sorry to derail the thread, but how do you remove the knobs? Thanks.

I believe standard practice would be to use 2 spoons. With the curved side of the spoon against the faceplate (so you do not scratch it) exert force back and forth and a lot of times they just pop off or are loose enough to easily pull off. LMK if this works for you.

Here's a 4270 that I replaced all the lamps in and used the wax sheets from a box of KFC biscuits. Yummy biscuits, and a cheap and good looking dial.

M4270-1.jpg

I believe standard practice would be to use 2 spoons. With the curved side of the spoon against the faceplate (so you do not scratch it) exert force back and forth and a lot of times they just pop off or are loose enough to easily pull off. LMK if this works for you.

I've used the 2 spoon method before with success, however, Catrafter has an even better method.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try both.

Here's a 4270 that I replaced all the lamps in and used the wax sheets from a box of KFC biscuits. Yummy biscuits, and a cheap and good looking dial.

And, as a bonus, you get the great smell of KFC every time the 4270 warms up! Win, Win, and WIN!

I changed the bulbs on my 2245, 2252B and 2275.

I use bakers parchment paper. Much more heat resistant and very cheap. I also use 3M double sided tape to attach it. I picked up a roll at a local trophy shop. It is used to attach the engraved name plates to the trophy's and is very thin and great tack.

About 2 months after I started this thread, a seller showed up on ebay hawking vellum for $7. Wasn't me, but I know where he got the idea. I learned about the vellum after reading posts by Echowars. :) FYI, the bakers paper will turn brown in a much shorter time than vellum. That's why Marantz used the vellum.

Last edited:
Well she is all done now and turned out real nice:

Vellum Replaced
Bulbs replaced with NOS 8V 200ma bulbs
Cleaned inside and out
All controls and switches cleaned and lubed
Bias is set
DC offset is set
P/S voltage set
Even has original Marantz outputs

On the 2220B there is also a small seperate piece of vellum inclosed in the signal strength meter casing, a little bit of a chore but that is done also and made a difference. Right now she is all stock and sounding good, I may recap it, I have not decided yet on this one.

Here she is finished.

I bought some 55lb vellum and some matte Mylar sheet from a local art supplies store. The Mylar feels like it is slightly heavier and looks like it will offer more, and more consistent, diffusion. I have the front of a receiver off at the moment and will try them both and decide which I prefer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom