Do You Recommend The Record Cleaning Brushes?

daza152

Hi I don't use anything at all as I mainly use and buy new vinyl (bit lazy maybe?) but recently saw on YouTube an "expert" saying that using the brushes is a good idea? do you use them and what type? Thanks.

The record brush is only for superficial dust, it won't get the mess out of the grooves. And often there is a lot of crap in the grooves that shouldn't bet there and affects the sound, even (or especially) with new records.

The record brush is only for superficial dust, it won't get the mess out of the grooves. And often there is a lot of crap in the grooves that shouldn't bet there and affects the sound, even (or especially) with new records.
Sounds like you need to make it anti-static anyway using the brush? I have a spray vinyl record cleaner. thaty will be alright? microfibre cloth

However maybe an anti-static brush on first spin would be a good idea still as that won't leave any residual matter?

My fiber brush has never given me a problem; it doesn't leave bristles or fuzz behind, and it does a good job of removing surface dust and such. I use it before every spin.

I do believe in some kind of good record cleaning system, though. Many people swear by the record cleaning machines. I haven't invested in one yet. I use a microfiber cloth and either a commercial solution or my own homebrewed solution of isopropyl and detergent.

Didn't think deep cleaning new vinyl was super important, until I used a Triton/Hepastat on some new vinyl. Really reduces the little ticks and surface noise that is sometimes present. Went back and cleaned up some new vinyl that I purchased in the last few years. Made a definite improvement in about half of those albums. Something about that combo of cleaners that just works.

Last edited:
However maybe an anti-static brush on first spin would be a good idea still as that won't leave any residual matter?

These brushes will only remove some dust on the surface, they won't do jack against any of the dirt that resides in the grooves or against static on the record.

When it comes to record cleaning machines, there's an easy way to find out for yourself: Find a hifi shop or record store that has one and have them clean a couple of your records. I would not want to be without mine anymore, the difference is huge.

These brushes will only remove some dust on the surface, they won't do jack against any of the dirt that resides in the grooves or against static on the record.

When it comes to record cleaning machines, there's an easy way to find out for yourself: Find a hifi shop or record store that has one and have them clean a couple of your records. I would not want to be without mine anymore, the difference is huge.
I don't have any dirty (visible) vinyl, and I wish there was a record cleaning service here where I live just in case so I can't justify buying a machine I have stylus cleaners instead haha. how can you remove static without a brush or a record cleaning machine? Thanks.

^^^ Can you procure a vintage Discwasher? They do a good job dry, slightly better when damp along the leading edge. My really old records that I had before Discwasher's were common, sound much worse than records that were cleaned/dusted with one from the beginning. On new records a Discwasher should at least prevent any real damage from being done. If you can get the Phan-Stat record cleaning fluid, it is probably the closest to the original D3/4 fluid that is commonly available. If you can't source any of these PM me if you want to go that route.

Last edited:
I use a Disc Washer before I spin records,it does a great job of picking up dust and lint,but the Lp should be cleaned first. I found an N.O.S. Disc Kit online a few years ago and couldn't be happier with the purchase.
download.jpg

^^^ Can you procure a vintage Discwasher? They do a good job dry, slightly better when damp along the leading edge. My really old records that I had before Discwasher's were common, sound much worse than records that were cleaned/dusted with one from the beginning. On new records a Discwasher should at least prevent any real damage from being done. If you can get the Phan-Stat record cleaning fluid, it is probably the closest to the original D3/4 fluid that is commonly available. If you can't source any of these PM me if you want to go that route.
https://www.turntableneedles.com/Pfan-Stat-LP-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Fluid_p_2825.html

The VPI is great, they've been using one of those at my local record store for ages. You can get a good record cleaner for less than that though.

Back
Top Bottom