Do you remember your first time?

opusarlo

For some of you this was a long time ago, but for me it was 6 minutes ago. I just fired up my first "hi-fi" system, and I am floating in that cushy audio paradise with a smile from one ear to the other. I know this is a moment I will remember as I grow my gear and complete my room. I was wondering if any of you remember listening to your first system and floating in that cushy audio paradise?

My Mac gear will replace that AVR - that was just sitting around. The Cornwalls and 511b horns, on the other hand, are now family Going to spend the rest of the day listening to both discs of Pink Floyd The Wall.

Peace, brothers!

20171029_120447.jpg

Yeah, I remember my first real system. DIY corner horns. It took some sorting out to get them right, but the results were glorious.

Good luck, and happy listening!

:music:

Try spreading those speakers a little further apart. You may like the result.

I prefer a speaker spread that's ~70% of the listening distance. Many others prefer an equilateral triangle for distance and width.

System, who needed a system to be floating in audio paradise with a smile from one ear to the other?

I distinctly remember grabbing the GE bakelite table radio with that big round grille on the front, maybe an 8-incher and hauling it out of the house in Pass Christian, MS (the house is now just a concrete slab thanks to katrina) and putting it on a chair and playing WNOE, "whose AM sister station had been a legendary Heritage Top 40 station during the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, was best known in its own right as an AOR outlet in the 1970s. " from wiki. This was the mid-60s, probably 1966.

I did this while washing the windows and got hooked on listening to music.

pioneer pl 112d,pioneer sa-6500,dynaco a-25's [rolling stones "honky tonk woman"]
i have replicated the system few times since
and each time regret lettting it go

Yeah. First thing was a family owned VM steel body with a built in amp speaker. Moved up to a Bell Sound amp, which has bass & treble tone control and a Jensen field coil which had a power supply melt down leaving potting tar on the bedroom floor and smoke everywhere. My mother went ballistic. Then I got wither an EV or Utah 10" or so something with a whizzer and thought everithing was great, until I bought a Scott LK48b kit and had to upgrade everything to stereo.

Great stories. The fact that most of you also remember that song is awesome. I knew today was important!!!

Try spreading those speakers a little further apart. You may like the result.

I prefer a speaker spread that's ~70% of the listening distance. Many others prefer an equilateral triangle for distance and width.
You are completely correct. I have had them in more positions than the Kama Sutra just cuz I want it perfect. That door messes with it a bit. Works best facing directly forward. I just had to move some furniture to create a sweet spot for that.

Fleetwood Mac - Songbird. Sansui AU-G99X and perhaps Marantz Imperial 6's (had a ton of crap even then).

I remember hearing Lindsey's gentle fingerpicking in the background and experiencing that depth that a good system will reveal.

Burned in my mind forever.

KLH receiver, ADC speakers and a Thorens TD-165 - all of which I bought brand new - was my introduction to the glory of my own high-fidelity system.

Congrats!
What's the story on the speakers, are they the score you were looking for?

I see Misfitz has officially announced their move on the website now.

Fleetwood Mac - Songbird. Sansui AU-G99X and perhaps Marantz Imperial 6's (had a ton of crap even then).

I remember hearing Lindsey's gentle fingerpicking in the background and experiencing that depth that a good system will reveal.

Burned in my mind forever.
I identify with that, brother.

My father was into hifi big time so I've been exposed to it my whole life.
The first memories I have of really appreciating it were when he was shopping for a new system and made friends with the owner of a local store (Stereo Connection in Scranton, PA). I remember quietly sitting in the listening room while they selected different components and then we all listened. It was a great experience for a 7 year old.
He ended up buying a Yamaha A-1000 integrated (and the 1000 series tuner and tape deck) as well as B&O Beogram 8000 turn table and S80 speakers that we spent many, many hours listening to for years afterward.

First time was an Electrophonic all in one entertainment center with air suspension speakers.

Has the great big dustcover.

Still have it somewhere. Should still work. Used it in my garage for years with cd player thru Aux input.

Speakers are long gone though.

Lot of good times in my teens. I had it in layaway paying on it every week.

Back
Top Bottom