Do You Run a Laserdisc Player in Your Rig? What Music-Related Discs Do You Play?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by pustelniakr, Mar 10, 2017.

1. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Super Mod Subscriber

I am considering adding a laserdisc player to my main rig. I am not one to buy recorded movies because I don't like re-watching movies. However, I do like recorded live performances, and other music-related videos.

What laserdisc player do you run, and what music-related discs do you have and enjoy?

Enjoy,
    Rich P

2. 1tumbleweed

1tumbleweed Kozmik Kowboy Subscriber

I still use my Pioneer CLD-D704 and CLD-59 (alternately) in my HT system.

Music: The best version of Stop Making Sense, Pete Townshend Live, Emmylou at the Ryman, Laurie Anderson, John Mayall with Junior Wells, Doobies, The Muse Concert, lots of others. Still enjoyable to me.

Cheers,
    Larry B.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    pustelniakr likes this.
  3. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

These three are some of my favorites .... the first two are jaw dropping good.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

Most of everything I like has been released in much better form on DVD or BluRay. What I need to do, though, is transfer my remaining titles to digital so I can put them on the media server. I have a handful of those 8 inch LDs that usually had music videos on them. But there is one that had four tracks from Joe Jackson's Big World session in front of a live audience that I haven't seen elsewhere. My only player now is the Pioneer DVL-700, the first LD player to feature DVD playback. It was always a lousy DVD player, but a pretty good LD player at the time.

5. AdamAnt316

AdamAnt316 Collector of heavy things

I've owned several Pioneer Laserdisc players over the years, some of which can't handle CDs. My first was a LD-V2000, which had been pulled from a Nintendo "Power Previews" kiosk from the mid '90s. It came with some of the hardware used for the kiosk, as well as both an LD and VCD of preview videos. The player itself had no buttons on the front except power and eject; I later found a remote for it. It had issues with LDs which were equipped with digital audio tracks, but seemed to work OK otherwise. I soon found a CLD-980, which could handle the digital audio tracks (and CDs), but you had to manually flip the LDs over at the end of each side. My CLD-980 can be seen above the RCA Selectavision CED player in this lousy photo of my old video setup, which I am in the process of refurbishing with different components (including a larger TV):

[​IMG]

Some time after that, I picked up a CLD-D504 at a surplus sale. It could flip LDs automatically, and had a secondary tray (in the middle of the main LD tray) specifically for loading CDs. After it developed loading issues, I picked up a CLD-D604, which seems to be similar apart from a few added features. Finally, I found a DVL-909 at a hamfest, of all places. Like the DVL-700 mentioned above, it is capable of handling DVDs in addition to LDs and CDs, which is nice.

As far as the LDs themselves go, most of the ones I have are movies. I do have a couple of examples from the Mind's Eye series, which is basically early computer graphics backed by synth-y music. I also have an LD of "MTV Closet Classics", which is basically pre-MTV promo videos of performances by Cream, Jimi Hendrix, the Moody Blues, and others. I've seen other music-based LDs out there, including some karaoke titles, but have yet to pick any up.
    -Adam

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  6. Chris Brown

Chris Brown AK Subscriber Subscriber

My main player is a Panasonic LX-1000, a very high-quality player and the best one that I own. I also have a Panasonic LX-900 and a Mitsubishi (pioneer clone) in secondary systems. For a while I also had a few older players just for novelty value, including a huge bulky player that was made in 1984. Unfortunately the older players could only play the analog tracks, not the newer digital PCM stereo tracks, so I eventually gave them away.

I don't play many music laserdiscs, but my players are the only thing resembling dedicated CD players in each system. Useful for the times that I don't feel like running a CD through the computer instead.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

I actually still have the Pioneer LD-660 top-loader. It was a very basic earlier model, not even chapter seek. I haven't used it in many years, but it always worked any time I turned it on. Can't even sell something like this anymore, especially since it is too bulky to ship. And I hate to send it to the scrap heap.