Do you still read newspaper?

IMHO, a newspaper isn´t here to reflect your views, it´s there to inform you what is going on in the world.

In all fairness, I did find my part-time job in the Help Wanted section of the local newspaper. It had been a long time since I had read that part of the newspaper, so after I retired I was shocked by how small it was. Some ads appear on Indeed.com, but I think many companies only advertise on their own web sites.

I just got the renewal notice for the newspaper, which has recently gone from locally owned to being owned by a newspaper syndicate. Previously, the renewal notice was a postcard, so it was understandable that I would have to print my own envelope. This notice was a letter, but still did not have a return envelope. The big surprise was the cost increase, from $140.85 to $195.00 yearly. There was a place to provide a tip for the carrier, a "feature" that has appeared the past few years. You would think for that kind of an increase, they could tip the carrier themselves.

My Mother ... lived w/ us for the past six years and passed earlier this year ... was an avid local Newspaper reader all her life ... every morning w/ her fist cup of coffee.

As stated in an earlier post ... I have not read hard media newspaper in decades ... the last one I recall was the Stars & Stripes during my career in the USAF ... more while living overseas than anywhere else as I recall.

My wife still reads the local newspaper ... which keeps getting smaller & smaller. She reads it through an online subscription.

My Mother in Law reads the local Newspaper (hard print) every morning .. she's in her 80's.

Last edited:
I think I'd read the physical news paper if there was one worth reading. Around here, sadly, journalism is a dead art unfortunately with Gwynne Dyer's drivel regurgitated near every day...

Aha. That's a Canadian thing.

I get the nearest "big" city newspaper in electronic form - perfect facsimile of the print edition, for $14/mo. There's also a weekly (Wednesdays) local that's delivered free, but doesn't distribute free to every address every week - you can subscribe for guaranteed delivery, but on weeks when it doesn't appear you can read it free online. I recently ran into one drawback - I needed something to spread out to paint something on, and the recycling truck had just departed with the few pages I had.

I have a friend in New Mexico who subscribes to a couple of nationals, and emails me with things he deems important. Other than that, I follow the national news reporting on PBS.

Besides the news of local and state politics, I can't survive without comic strips and crosswords. The latter means I have to buy some paper and printer ink, which I haven't costed out, but could be more than the $14 subscription.

I got the local paper delivered 7 days a week for over 40 years. Then a couple of years ago the sunday paper started coming between 8-9 am instead of 6-6:30. The daily paper was still coming early. I like to get up early on sundays and read the paper before the wife and kids get up and before church so i found myself driving to the gas station to get it. I called the paper to cancel just the sunday but was told all delivery options include the sunday paper. So i canceled all of them and just drive and get the sunday paper now and get the daily news online or local news shows.. I think i prefer the real paper over the online stuff but i cant say i really miss it

Last edited:
I've never been much of a newspaper reader even though I have a degree in mass media. I'm old enough that I could have been, but I just never read it regularly. I pretty much do everything digitally that I can (except vinyl) and that includes taking notes, news, documents..whatever. The newspaper to me has always been cumbersome and messy.

I read the paper everyday.

I see it as one of my responsibilities as a citizen of th U.S.

I'm not sure why reading a "paper" is a citizen responsibility. Keeping up with the news may be a responsibility, but there are many ways to do that.

Ughhhh! I cannot even imagine enjoying a book from a screen. I will never go there. To me, part of it is about the texture, smell, and getting away from screens. I noticed kindle readers are a dime a dozen at thrift stores now. I assumed it was a passing fad.

What you are seeing as dime a dozen in the thrift stores are either older readers that people have upgraded from, or readers from people who bought into the fad of e-readers but weren't really book readers to begin with. My wife and mother both fall into the later category. I don't need to be dragging arround hard copy books everywhere and I read everything on my iPad or computer. The only hard copy publication I've bought with any regularity is the single magazine I used to buy in the airport to read on the plane during takeoff and landing. Now that you don't have to put your tablet away, I don't even need that. Btw, if you've never checked them out, you should check out the e-ink screens on the readers that have them. They aren't a nornal LCD display screen and visually are extremely similar to a written page. I would have one myself (or commandeer my wife's since she never uses it) but I don't read entire books often enough to make it necessary and just do all my reading on my iPad.

IMHO, a newspaper isn´t here to reflect your views, it´s there to inform you what is going on in the world.

Well, as we were always taught, a newspaper is there to inform and present the facts (except in the editorial section) without bias. They no longer inform properly (they are littered with errors, bad reporting, poorly checked facts, sensationalism and ads disguised as news) nor is the editorial or biased reporting limited to the editorial sections. Unfortunately ALL media has become this way so the only way to get balanced news (much like reading reviews on amazon) is to read a large cross section of them, see how each bias is reporting the stories, and distill the facts and unbiased info from that. This isn't something you can do by subscribing to a single paper which is another reason why I wouldn't do it.

I read the local newspaper every day, and a big-city paper on Sundays when home delivery is available. I also read another big-city paper electronically most days - wouldn't miss the comics! The internet is just not the same.

Back
Top Bottom