Do you use Pandora?

Do you use Pandora?

• Total voters

Sir.Byrd

Lunatic Member
Pandora.com is a music streaming website that uses songs or artists that you input to play similar artists that you like.
I use it a lot, how about you?

All day long at work running to my Sansui 8080 and AR 7's. Makes work just a little more enjoyable. The quality may not be that great but it beats the pants of local FM.

The sound isn't the best, tis true. But the LONG list of new artists I have discovered makes it well worth it.

The sound isn't the best, tis true. But the LONG list of new artists I have discovered makes it well worth it.

There was one artist that I heard and liked so much that I went out and bought ALL of their albums on vinyl. Then I made a radio station of that artist and found EVEN MORE artists that I like. Its also great to put in artists you are already interested in because sometimes they have something you don't.

There is no poll choice for me.
I tried it for a while and found that it did not know what to do with my preferences. It either picked things I already had, or pulled up things that were way off. It turned out to be entirely unhelpful and unentertaining.
But that was a couple years ago. Maybe I should give it another try. Perhaps its brain has gotten bigger.

I tried it for a while and found that it did not know what to do with my preferences. It either picked things I already had, or pulled up things that were way off. It turned out to be entirely unhelpful and unentertaining.
But that was a couple years ago. Maybe I should give it another try. Perhaps its brain has gotten bigger.

Perhaps option #3?

Maybe listen to it for a couple months and then vote, this poll does not have a set close time.

I've been using Pandora for some time now, and like it a lot. I like 1960s-'70s rock; Pandora has a very wide selection of this type of music, including songs I either haven't heard in years or just plain don't hear on terrestrial radio anymore (if they ever played them in the first place; I'm convinced some of the songs I hear on Pandora but have never heard on local radio here in northeastern Ohio were strictly regional hits, never having gained enough popularity to go national).

I've all but given up on terrestrial radio since I found Pandora (I have Winamp and links to several other media streams as well, including WLS-FM in Chicago [http://www.947chicago.com]). IMO, it sounds great through my stereo system; I wonder if some of you who say Pandora has "poor sound quality" are listening through a pair of generic computer speakers (most of which, the ones that come with most computers as standard equipment anyway, have only one speaker and terrible frequency response).

Pandora mentions on its website (http://www.pandora.com), however, that its music streams will sound very good through any stereo system; the site even has detailed instructions on how to connect your computer to your audio system. I did just that some time ago (long before discovering Pandora) and, once I heard the results, I knew I'd never want to go back to the puny "Infinity" speakers that were included with my computer.

Been using the crap out of last.fm lately. Will have to try this other site.

I think this type of site has to be one of the best ways to quickly sample entire genres of music... In a matter of days I've explored a bunch of new-to-me rockabilly and blues artists and learned a lot more about the history of rock. My music "wish list" has grown rather rapidly :D

I like it a lot for discovering new artists, however on artists I already know I find it has the same problems as commercial radio- that is, it plays the well-known songs, and rarely the 'deep cuts'....you know, every other album it pulls up is a "Best Of" type thing, which gets extremely irritating after a while.

I use it when I'm lazy and company's coming. The Christmas Holidays saw heavy Jazz Christmas usage. It was a great, and fun, way to keep the tunes flowing.

I use it sometimes when one of my classes is in the computer lab and I'm not doing anything.

Are you taking advantage of the "I like..." or the "I don't like..." feature?

I have never used Pandora

I just tried getting on and it will not work in Canada

Gohan

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom