Do you use the volume of your amp or source?

o_rod

Hey guys,
One thing I've been thinking about lately is what people adjust for their volume?

My PC is my source, it goes to my Soundblaster USB DAC then to my amp. So is it best to leave the PC the same volume and use the amp to raise volume, or leave the amp at max then use the source?

Depends on the amp setup. My Denon only had gain control on the rear, no actual volume controls. I do volume on whatever is hooked up as it's preamp.

In general I try to avoid redundant volume controls. I wish all usb dacs had a "reference level" seeings that disabled the volume control and fixed the output level at whatever maximizes the DAC performance.

On my Audient iD14, I found that using -10dB set in software works best with my headphone amp. They recommend starting at -20dB and adjusting amp level to suit from there but I found that the extra 10dB on the input side kept me in a nice range volume setting wise on the amp.

I use the amp with vinyl though it does mean getting up to do so.

For digital content I usually adjust the volume on the media PC though soon I'll be moving to a Gieseler Groß DAC so I'll disable that in JRIVER and adjust with the DAC remote instead. :)

I'll preface by saying . . . I could be doing it wrong!

I start with my pre-amp volume set about mid-range and then adjust the input attenuators (not volume controls) on my amps to what would be a reasonably loud level in my room. That gives me a working range on my pre-amp (and also prevents that theoretical 3-year-old who cranks up the volume control without an invitation from doing serious damage). Then I use my Emotiva DAC to adjust the listening level of all the sources fed into its various inputs using its remote from my listening position. No component is at "max". The Emotiva has a zero gain setting that is usually where I listen but I can mute or lower the sound with the remote which would otherwise not be possible in my vintage system. It sounds clean to me. :dunno:

Unless in a multiple amplifier, speaker configuration the control is max on the amplifier. Use the preamplifer for volume control.

Barney

Interesting guys, thanks.

Speakers with less power handling, i drop the amp to half or less and use the preamp to do the volume. This seems to stop distortion from overpowering and the speakers can go louder with no distortion...

When i connect speakers with high power handling i raise the amps volume to 3/4+ and use the pre amp for adjustments...

So basically i just use the amp volume knob to set the max amplification i think the speaker can takr without distorting then use the source for volume. Not sure if this makes sense but seems to work.

With my computer I use my Scarlett 2i2 volume control. The JBL powered monitors stay at max. Bob

I avoid and if possible disable software volume control in favor of hardware. Where possible I adjust volume at the preamp, integrated amp or receiver.

I'm quite certain I am doing it wrong so whatever you do don't follow my lead here. I use the volume control in JRiver for most of my volume control. I have my preamp volume set at straight up 12 O,clock and the power amp levels at 40%. This affords me the luxury to lay back in my very comfy easy chair and if volume control is required I simply roll the little wheel on a cordless mouse to control the volume (usually between 50 and 75%). I keep everything so if I were to accidentally open the software volume to 100% nothing is going to get blown up.

I am supposed to be hearing reduced SQ this way, but I'll be damned if I can hear it.. :dunno:

Strictly for convenience, amp is at 50%, volume control handled by JRiver on the tablet.

Sources with digital control of volume provide the best dynamic range (signal vs noise floor) and highest possible resolution with the volume set at 100%.

I use my PC, for TV, movie, and music listening, so the controlling the volume is a challenge.

I set the volume on my vintage amp pretty high, about half. Then I use the wireless keyboard for kodi, phone remote for iTunes. That way I have ample headroom so i won't have to adjust the amp.

When I plug my DAC/amp into my computer, the computer's audio controls are disabled. So I guess that answers your question :)

Sources with digital control of volume provide the best dynamic range (signal vs noise floor) and highest possible resolution with the volume set at 100%.

While technically true, I think most modern 24bit/32bit dacs have so much headroom SnR wise that you're not actually getting into noticeable compression until you're way way into the lower portion of the volume curve.

While this is theoretically true, when your DAC has an SnR of 115 dB or more you're unlikely to hear a noticeable change in performance by using it's volume control. I set mine to -10dB because that lets me use a comfortable range of the volume knob on my headphone amp.

The effect on dynamic range is true but, to your point, other factors can contribute to whether it makes an audible difference (or is likely to make a difference).

As an example, having 100dB dynamic range and reducing that by 10 or 20dB by DSP volume control may not make a hill of beans audible difference if some other component in the chain has just 80dB dynamic range. Since the best can be only as good as the worst. On the other hand, people using the DSP volume as the master and making deep DSP volume cuts likely can gain some material improvement.

That said, I like to mention it because a lot of people are not really aware of the potential ramification of setting the volume by DSP often such as in media players and computers.

Some people work on their systems a lot with cables, room treatments, very specific positioning of gear, and other things some quite controversial. Yet, leave this free potential improvement (or tweak, so to speak) on the table without so much as a second thought.

Back
Top Bottom