Do you warm up your gear prior to a listening session?

If the boys are comin over I turn on the rig when I get up so it has a few hours to come to temp. The gear they drag over starts playing cold. The tube amps they show up with get to temp a lot quicker than some other pieces.

Added: Of course, I'm listening to the rig while I ready the house for the stampede. When I turn on the stereo, I do that to listen to it, not warm it up. Even the tube amps only get a minute or 3 before I send sound coursing through the units.

Last edited:
Was I 'sposed to turn it off? Debate rages, but not here in this thread. But I really don't turn it off (standby) very often, though I'm trying to form the habit when I expect it to be out of use for four hours or more. And I have put the new amp in standby a couple times, maybe three. When I turn it back on, I just listen cold as it warms up.

I warm it up, but I play music in the background while doing something else. No, I don't let it sit idle. When the tubes get up to the proper stewing temperature? Game on, baby! :D

On my living room system I'll occasionally let it warm up. On the other 3 systems I don't bother. I can't hear a difference one way or the other with solid state amps.

When did you last check your bias on your SS amp. It does make a difference in my small amp. My unit is on about 18 hours a day, my wife demands it. I picked up a cheap ETek 10790 from Walmart Auto section for $20. It has a very small thermistor (I think) probe that I push through the case slots and directly down on the heat sink. I know when things aren't right, and I was surprised how closely temp follows bias. You can't use this method if you have been cranking on it. Only check it at idle after 15 minutes or so. The first one of these amps I had, I put a set of jacks in the back so I could measure bias quickly, After I got familiar with the relationship I no longer bothered. Some say it is dangerous to use anything short of a Fluke. This is a pretty well made meter with voltage sensing and good ranges IMO.

Back
Top Bottom