Doctor Zhivago Soundtrack

JDaniel

The Mrs. and I just watched Doctor Zhivago recently. Great movie. So yesterday I'm in the thrift store, and I find a pristine copy of the Doctor Zhivago soundtrack. The vinyl doesn't look like it has ever been played. The cover is in good shape (one small tear), with Omar Sharif and Julie Christie on the cover. But what really got me was the pages inside the cover. It's a book about the movie, with pages on the soundtrack, the music, the book, the motion picture, the story, the director (David Lean, also known for Lawrence of Arabia, and The Bridge On the River Kwai), and the stars from the movie.

Best buck I've spent in a while, and I haven't even listened to it yet.

JD

I saw that one in the buckapop vinyl store yesterday, jd- almost picked it up just so's I could stare at Julie Christie, the most beautiful woman in history (IMHO).

:)

Re: Yes, it's great music!

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
But, Julie Christie?? No, no, no, it was Natalie Wood.

Laz

Laz - the body is willing, but the mind is weak.....

Not Natalie Wood mi amigo. Here's the lineup from:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059113/

Cast overview:
Omar Sharif .... Dr. Yuri Zhivago
Julie Christie .... Lara Antipova
Geraldine Chaplin .... Tonya
Rod Steiger .... Victor Komarovsky
Alec Guinness .... Gen. Yevgraf Zhivago
Tom Courtenay .... Pasha Antipova/Strelnikov
Siobhan McKenna .... Anna
Ralph Richardson .... Alexander Gromeko
Rita Tushingham .... The Girl
Jeffrey Rockland .... Sasha
Tarek Sharif .... Yuri at 8
Bernard Kay .... Bolshevik
Klaus Kinski .... Kostoyed Amourski (manacled on train)
Gérard Tichy .... Liberius (as Gerard Tichy)
Noel Willman .... Razin

JD

IMHO, "Lara's Theme"(Somewhere My Love) is one of the prettiest songs written in the '60s. Even The Ray Conniff Singers couldn't bollix it up too bad.-Sandy G.

It's been ages since I saw the movie, but I don't remember Klaus Kinski in it. Musta been a bit part early in his career. A crazed genius

Obviously you gentlemen have never seen Kim Novak. Try "Bell, Book, and Candle" especially the scene where she's mesmerizing Jack Lemmon with her cat up to her face.

TA

That's what I was talking about...

..."...the most beautiful woman in history." Yes, JDaniel, I knew she wasn't in the movie. Nuts to your Kim Novak, Sophia Loren, and Ann-Margaret, as Natalie Wood was one of those rare women who had both inner and outer beauty. Nowadays, for me, and for the same reason, it's Mira Furlan. There is a signed photo of her in sight of where I am typing this. One fellow on an internet site said that he would dig his way thru miles of solid rock just for one of her smiles... Sorry, this takes us a bit far from Dr. Z, does it not?? Maybe not, as I remember that Dr. Z died while trying to chase down Lara.

Laz

Mira who? What? Where is she from? She a Missouruh girl? Never heard of her.

I'd love to put nuts to Kim, when she was a tad younger.

What's wrong with Sophia's hand in that image? She play air guitar or what?

Ann-Margaret was a gorgeous girl, that actually became more gorgeous after that tragic fall. Who would've thought it possible?

TA

Doctor Zhivago

JDaniel,

After reading your comments I dug out my used record store copy of Doctor Zhivago and listened to it this afternoon. As the cover says: "sounds great in STEREO". Although some aspects of the recording fidelity sound a bit course, the music is interesting and Maurice Jarre has scored a rich array of instruments. What surprised me the first time I heard the record was the extended low frequency information. Although not high in amplitude the lows are extended and extant in many of the musical selections. If your music system has low frequency capability, be sure to check it out.

As I listened to the music, I read the several pages of text and pictures in the album. I could actually read the text without a magnifying glass. The size of the LP format has/had it all over the CD in this respect. Although CD's can include informative booklets many of them are difficult to read. The John Mayer "Heavier Things" SACD I recently purchased has a very good set of liner notes except for the fact that the size of the text is the same size that my optometrist uses for an eye test. It is all but impossible for me to read.

Thanks for reconnecting me to this music.

tcdriver

tcdriver

Back
Top Bottom