Documented 1957 Fisher President - found & purchased

The cabinet in this console will not be scrapped but the condition is poor and incomplete.
Sounds like making one from two won't be sacrilege then. Sounds like the old car hobby, take several and assemble the best parts to make a good one.

I agree. To make one complete functioning unit, cannibalize the worst units. Take the best cabinet, add missing parts from 2nd cab, install gear, tags, etc. Save extra parts, hardware, etc.

after kicking it around for a little bit, I'm going ahead and building 2. I have one complete, albeit the cabinet is rough, but who cares? to me, there is something about having a cabinet still together from 1957. I mean the stories these units could tell. I love the crazing peeling laquer finish. Yes the door are missing, but not a deal breaker. I can make copies. Realistically, the console needs the top re-veneered. Not an impossible task.

As far as the legs go, I can have a set made.

As far as updates go on the other Fisher President, finished in walnut, I have a set of tuners coming. I just need to locate the preamp and we have lift-off.

I bet that extra knob on front allows you to use the phono in stereo, using an existing stereo input. Mine was mono as well and the switch was added, using the AM/FM stereo input. $125 was quite a bit to do the job but anyone with a President probably had the money to add the 2 preamps and switching.

Stereo records were not commercially available until early 1958.

Documents are honestly sometimes cooler than the equipment, just because of scarcity. Just think how many copies of that still exist in the world, its probably not a big number.

Any chance we could talk you into scanning it for the rest of us to check out?

Documents are honestly sometimes cooler than the equipment, just because of scarcity. Just think how many copies of that still exist in the world, its probably not a big number.

Any chance we could talk you into scanning it for the rest of us to check out?

+1 :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom